• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Long range effectiveness and poor statistic`s

• Thread starter twoheadedsnake1
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I have build a Colonial Age Field Gun , and i`m wondering why? as they are the last in the Colonial age troops , why oh why are they so poor?

Unit information
CORE DATA

ATTACK 14
DEFENCE 6
RANGE 15
MOVE 8

UNIT BONUS
HEAVY MELEE 7

I really cannot see any point in these units, against a unit of ballista`s, their pretty similar and have a need to hit twice to kill an opponant, and with some foot units being immune to long range units , i think mabe they should come with a , freeze shot ? mabe hit the enemy unit hurt 9 points and dissable next move?

DeletedUser

I killed a cannon using longbows quite often with merely 1 shot. This never happened against any other long range units though. However, these were the only instances of 1 hit wonders I've encountered, and I've done close to 7k fights so far across all worlds I play(ed) in.

my poor statistics with long range units only goes to 1700 wins never have i ever seen a single 1 shot kill on any ground open or not , please enlighten us on how you get a perfect 10?

DeletedUser

Looks like some spam bot topped this thread, so I went over it again. And boy were people short sighted to call FG underpowered when it came out. Pretty much every encounter I've had with players since the wide release of CA, everyone is declaring their cannons to be utterly useless and can't wait to get their hands on FGs so they can have some range again. Not to even mention the movement bonus.

And HH, doing only 1 single hit kill with 7k fights just means you fight with a lot of long range and smart enough to wipe out enemy long range with your own long range. Closing in near enough to give a melee or short range hit to long range unit would mean you have taken damage on previous turn and genereally seems like a huge waste if you have your own long range units around. In truth all LMA units except cannon can deal single hit kills on units like stone thrower, slinger and ballista. And with CA, melee units doing single hit kills on less advanced long range units becomes very common. I have couple of nabers who have full mix of long range and mounted archer combos and to conserve my own long range units, I just attack them with CA melee units(sometimes with just a single ranger or greneider if I wanna have some more fun). Those units have too low attack to cause CA melee unit hardly any damage and in fights like these I started seeing 1 hit kills take place all the time. Because for first time I started actually hitting enemy long range units with smth else than my own long range on regular bases :p

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2752

In my opinion, I would definitely take field guns over cannons, they do need more defense; aren't all siege units' defense the same?

DeletedUser

In my opinion, I would definitely take field guns over cannons, they do need more defense; aren't all siege units' defense the same?

never had canons, but the best artillery are trebuchts. just in comparison to the damage they deal to units of the same age.

or best example I think:
trebucht vs Longbow -> 3-6 damage (though longbows are a age better)
fieldguns vs Muskets -> 3-5 damage (same age!)

Yes fieldguns are faster and have more range... but u can't do easy fights with them, as u do with trebuchts.

DeletedUser

I would never use 8 Field cannons , 4 plus 4 Grenadiers is one of the perfect troop executives , as long as you put 1 Grenadier out as a victim of the archers they always go for it , i`ve had over 1700 won battles and never have i seen 8 mounted archers , if i return to attack a player with 8 ballistas its just a laugh as i would only submit 1 Grenadier !

I don't think you could win 8 ballistas with 1 grenadier, although it's true you can beat long range with mounted archers