• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Long range effectiveness and poor statistic`s

• Thread starter twoheadedsnake1
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I have build a Colonial Age Field Gun , and i`m wondering why? as they are the last in the Colonial age troops , why oh why are they so poor?

Unit information
CORE DATA

ATTACK 14
DEFENCE 6
RANGE 15
MOVE 8

UNIT BONUS
HEAVY MELEE 7

I really cannot see any point in these units, against a unit of ballista`s, their pretty similar and have a need to hit twice to kill an opponant, and with some foot units being immune to long range units , i think mabe they should come with a , freeze shot ? mabe hit the enemy unit hurt 9 points and dissable next move?

DeletedUser

These datas are very good i think. If u compare ballistas and catapults there are simular changes. So it's a constant development.
But i experienced a time ago, that a ballista can kill a canon from LMA with 2 shots, so there was no reason to build catapults or something else. That should be fixed and not be continued with the Field Gun.

DeletedUser1223

When you compare the relations of long range units to others of the same age, you'll find that for example attack value always is around 50% of the light melee units. So it is continuous in that way.
If the long range units were stronger, they would stand out of the whole balancing. They already have the advantage to shoot nearly everywhere on the battlefield, while infantry takes 2-3 turns to reach them. Comined with short range this is quite powerful usually - just one way to use them, but that's what tactics is about.

DeletedUser

I must agree with the snake - field guns are pretty much pointless, you might as well keep your cannons. Long range went from 13/4 to 14/6 (where defense of long ranged units is irrelevant), while light melee was increased from 25/25 to 35/35. The other units were also massively pimped - just not the long ranged ones.

DeletedUser

The only ADVANTAGE i see is to submit a Grenadier for them to focus on , then use the distance for Field cannons to kill off units. ive completed this today , without loss of a single unit ..other than that is to use the cannons as pre-emptive strikes hoping that most of your enemy attacks 1 unit and the responding attack kills them ...so using the enemies foolhardy use of attcks against better troops that respond with grenades!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I must agree with the snake - field guns are pretty much pointless, you might as well keep your cannons. Long range went from 13/4 to 14/6 (where defense of long ranged units is irrelevant), while light melee was increased from 25/25 to 35/35. The other units were also massively pimped - just not the long ranged ones.

I thought the massive upgrade about field gun was the range increase. 12 was a terrible range often limiting your strategic options a lot. The real weak spot for cannon. While with 15 you can do pretty much anything you want.

DeletedUser

Thats not exactly true ,as mounted horse ,run up kill your cannon , so ...in effect 8 mounted bow can kill 8 field guns, and thats down to poor defence and attack is still 2 hits per kill !

DeletedUser

And what should this argument prove? Mounted archer is tailor made to be the best anti long-range troop in the game, being it is pretty much the only unit who can attack opposition base from starting position on first turn. Hence make it's move before opposition long range. And all long range have awful defense, that is kinda the point of them. Yeah you can kill 8 cannons with 8 ballista, but if it is 6 cannons 2 melee u will lose bad cause ballita will do only 0-1 damage to em. Personally I can't wait for field guns, the cannon range limitation is awful. And with the attack only going up by 1 point to 14, I think devs just realized how they improved long range stats little too much in HMA and LMA.

DeletedUser

And what should this argument prove? Mounted archer is tailor made to be the best anti long-range troop in the game, being it is pretty much the only unit who can attack opposition base from starting position on first turn. Hence make it's move before opposition long range. And all long range have awful defense, that is kinda the point of them. Yeah you can kill 8 cannons with 8 ballista, but if it is 6 cannons 2 melee u will lose bad cause ballita will do only 0-1 damage to em. Personally I can't wait for field guns, the cannon range limitation is awful. And with the attack only going up by 1 point to 14, I think devs just realized how they improved long range stats little too much in HMA and LMA.

I would never use 8 Field cannons , 4 plus 4 Grenadiers is one of the perfect troop executives , as long as you put 1 Grenadier out as a victim of the archers they always go for it , i`ve had over 1700 won battles and never have i seen 8 mounted archers , if i return to attack a player with 8 ballistas its just a laugh as i would only submit 1 Grenadier !

DeletedUser

I thought the massive upgrade about field gun was the range increase. 12 was a terrible range often limiting your strategic options a lot. The real weak spot for cannon. While with 15 you can do pretty much anything you want.

8 cannons are perfectly fine for pvp hunting from players ranked ~ #10 - #80 in your neighborhood, I never had issues reaching the targets I wanted to reach, even with a range of 12. For the top ranked players, you'd mix some longbows with your cannons, this also works pretty well. So for me, the biggest drawback of field guns is their relatively low attack value boost - discouraging me to ever recruit them and instead keeping my cannons. I'll just not be able to use them as much anymore, now that a more thought out mix of units is required. I do like that challenge though.

DeletedUser

Yeah by "limiting" I meant fighting against those tad more annoying defensive armies like 8 long range or a mix of long range and mounted units. That's usually where the range limit can not let to hit the preffered unit always or forces you into enemy reach just so you'd have the range to shoot.
Idk I quess I'm just a huge range fan then, I also hate if I have to take the 1 second to move my long range unit to have reach during the walkover battles.

DeletedUser

The only thing which is not okay with the field guns is the defense, because of this
Thats not exactly true ,as mounted horse ,run up kill your cannon , so ...in effect 8 mounted bow can kill 8 field guns, and thats down to poor defence and attack is still 2 hits per kill !

Artillery is, was and will be only good against low range units (archers) and other artillery. This is the point of artillery! Against other units they have to be weak, otherwise they would be too strong.
So... only the defense has to be fixed.

DeletedUser

Then I really don't understand what is your point or what are you saying here, sorry.

The point is that even if you have a slinger, a Colonial age Field Gun,still needs 2 hits to kill,said slinger , you should really expect a unit of this advancement to kill a slinger with one shot? and their lies my issue.

DeletedUser

The point is that even if you have a slinger, a Colonial age Field Gun,still needs 2 hits to kill,said slinger , you should really expect a unit of this advancement to kill a slinger with one shot? and their lies my issue.

Yeah.. this is definitely not okay, that has to be fixed!

DeletedUser1223

-correction-
Gotta correct this, just aimed at a catapult with a musket (not on rock): expected damage 9-10
So it IS possible, but the attack/defense ratio has to be somewhat huge. In this case 30 vs 3.

DeletedUser

Cannot be fixed, except with infiltration. From what I noticed damage in general peaks at 9.

Hi Vanguard=) Anwar said that a "one hit KO" (10damage) is possible, even in the Late Middle Age(eg. in the german Forum). But obviously it's not, so it have to be fixed ;)

DeletedUser1223

Gotta correct this, just aimed at a catapult with a musket (not on rock): expected damage 9-10
So it IS possible, but the attack/defense ratio has to be somewhat huge. In this case 30 vs 3.

DeletedUser

I killed a cannon using longbows quite often with merely 1 shot. This never happened against any other long range units though. However, these were the only instances of 1 hit wonders I've encountered, and I've done close to 7k fights so far across all worlds I play(ed) in.