• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Guild Battlegrounds Update 2023

Yekk

Regent
And removing the limit of 1000 league points won't solve the problem of the correct distribution of guilds? And each time the draw brings together teams with about the same number of league points. At the same time, it would be better to have a rule that guilds do not fight each other on two fields in a row.
Our picture is like this: 70 guilds with 1000 league points, 5 top guilds, and as a result, these guilds from the top 5 met with each other only twice during the entire championship. Our guild is in the top 10, but due to a lot of bad luck in the draw, we were only able to win the round once. As a result, we ended up in 22nd place in the ranking - it's frustrating. It is clear that you can lose in certain seasons, take 5-6 places and get weaker opponents, but we don't want that.
If we had seen real league points, with no limit of 1,000, then motivation would have risen.
On the other hand, more clashes of strong guilds means more waste of diamonds, i.e. it is in the interests of developers to make sure that strong guilds meet each other more often in the fields
My live world on the US servers is typical in population with 28-30 1K guilds. If points were allowed to be infinite the only guilds the top guild would play is the top 1/2 of that list.

Some guilds would drop a bit after a loss to that guild but then win their next league and jump back up. When GBG first started we had something similar with leagues made by the guilds creation date. It did not work and players went "guild X again why cant FOE fix that."

coolmite

Farmer
My live world on the US servers is typical in population with 28-30 1K guilds. If points were allowed to be infinite the only guilds the top guild would play is the top 1/2 of that list.

Some guilds would drop a bit after a loss to that guild but then win their next league and jump back up. When GBG first started we had something similar with leagues made by the guilds creation date. It did not work and players went "guild X again why cant FOE fix that."
Until the change, league points weren't infinite - just cumulative during the Championship. So, a guild that came in 2nd for 6 seasons would have 6000 LP and be ranked ahead of the guild that could win in platinum but was not competitive in Diamond.

coolmite

Farmer
Sorry, I don't understand why this is a problem. The standings were wiped clear at the beginning of the new Championship season. The guild with six 2nd place finishes earned 6000 fragments of the Tower of Champions and finished "in the 20's" last season. The yo-yo guild won in platinum, lost in diamond, earned no frags, and may have finished in the "top 10" but that was last season. All things considered, I rather be in the guild that got 6k frags than the one with a top 10 finish that got nothing tangible.
I'm trying to decide if you really don't see the difference or just want to argue. By definition, rankings should try to reflect the current position of each guild relative to other guilds at a point in time. Season two, three, and four all still matter. It matters for recruiting. It matters for morale. After two seasons, a guild that starts the Championship in platinum and wins gets bumped to 1000LP and is in a 30 way tie for first place. Their victory is the first tie breaker and puts them ahead of a guild that is in the 1000LP group to start and comes in 2nd. The *likely* better guild is ranked outside the top 20 with no real way to move for the next two weeks. The guild that won Platinum is claimed to be superior and holds that position for the next 2 weeks. From experience, that guild that won platinum will be non-competitive in 1000LP and get bumped back down to pick up another victory. This only grows as the seasons progress until the Championship is decided and things are wiped clean.

And this could be just my world, but for us, 925 and 975 are not competitive either. In season one of the championship, if you aren't elite, your are rewarded for being mediocre enough to come in 5th or 6th in 1000 LP. Then you get bumped down to "low diamond" where you not only get the highly coveted victory, but also 3000 fragments. The top 4 in that season one grouping get to stay in 1000LP and fight it out with harder competition where it is less likely to get victories or frags.

edit: I'll gladly admit, I'm a little salty about this. On my main, we came in 2nd in all six seasons. We were never ranked higher that 21 for the past 3 months even though head to head we came in ahead of many of the guilds ranked in the top 10 that only picked up victories outside of 1000LP.

Last edited:

Arch1e

Marquis
I'm trying to decide if you really don't see the difference or just want to argue. By definition, rankings should try to reflect the current position of each guild relative to other guilds at a point in time. Season two, three, and four all still matter. It matters for recruiting. It matters for morale. After two seasons, a guild that starts the Championship in platinum and wins gets bumped to 1000LP and is in a 30 way tie for first place. Their victory is the first tie breaker and puts them ahead of a guild that is in the 1000LP group to start and comes in 2nd. The *likely* better guild is ranked outside the top 20 with no real way to move for the next two weeks. The guild that won Platinum is claimed to be superior and holds that position for the next 2 weeks. From experience, that guild that won platinum will be non-competitive in 1000LP and get bumped back down to pick up another victory. This only grows as the seasons progress until the Championship is decided and things are wiped clean.

And this could be just my world, but for us, 925 and 975 are not competitive either. In season one of the championship, if you aren't elite, your are rewarded for being mediocre enough to come in 5th or 6th in 1000 LP. Then you get bumped down to "low diamond" where you not only get the highly coveted victory, but also 3000 fragments. The top 4 in that season one grouping get to stay in 1000LP and fight it out with harder competition where it is less likely to get victories or frags.

edit: I'll gladly admit, I'm a little salty about this. On my main, we came in 2nd in all six seasons. We were never ranked higher that 21 for the past 3 months even though head to head we came in ahead of many of the guilds ranked in the top 10 that only picked up victories outside of 1000LP.
You are not alone in this, I’m seeing several similar guilds in my live as well in the same situation and player retention is starting to look like an issue for them. Have never heard of so many ongoing merger and recruitment efforts.

Yekk

Regent
Until the change, league points weren't infinite - just cumulative during the Championship. So, a guild that came in 2nd for 6 seasons would have 6000 LP and be ranked ahead of the guild that could win in platinum but was not competitive in Diamond.
I am confused. When each league ends the top 4 guilds stay at 1K atm. 5-8 drop some. World ranking though look first at if a guild is in 1K, then that guilds total wins, and the final tie breaker is VP. Some guilds found they could win starting in a low league and if they timed it right win their last platinum and place first for their server. I do see that as a real problem that destroys how Inno most likely thought they had designed the new GBG.
League points are not infinite. Each new season they reset.

coolmite

Farmer
You are not alone in this, I’m seeing several similar guilds in my live as well in the same situation and player retention is starting to look like an issue for them. Have never heard of so many ongoing merger and recruitment efforts.
That is one of the big downsides for my guild that is likely the 6th best overall GBG guild. We didn't get a single victory. We were paired with guild #2 four times and guild #3 two times. Not only does that put us outside the top 20 which makes recruiting more difficult - but current members are in bad spirits. My main is going to turn into 4 mega-guilds - then everyone else. The funny thing is I'm fine being the 6th best - as long as the rankings reflect that. I like our group of players. And I don't want to be in a guild that has to bump friends just to make room for a mercenary looking to grab frags.

coolmite

Farmer
I am confused. When each league ends the top 4 guilds stay at 1K atm. 5-8 drop some. World ranking though look first at if a guild is in 1K, then that guilds total wins, and the final tie breaker is VP. Some guilds found they could win starting in a low league and if they timed it right win their last platinum and place first for their server. I do see that as a real problem that destroys how Inno most likely thought they had designed the new GBG.
You don't seem confused. My problem is that a victory in a lower league is treated as equal to a victory in 1000LP. And maybe some of this isn't across worlds. But in my world, everything below 1000LP is non-competitive. A 'yo-yo' starts in 1000LP and finished the season in 5th-8th and then drops in in league and thus in rankings. But then things get very easy for them. They come in first place. Pick up a victory. Then move back to the top 10 in rankings. They stay there for the next two weeks and are considered better than the team that stayed in the top 4 of the 1000LP group for all three seasons. I guess it is like this... In season one, the 4th ranked team is better than the 5th ranked team. But the 5th ranked team moves down to face less competition and an easier win. So when they move back up to the league that the old 4th place team never left - they are suddenly considered 'better' just because they were able to beat lower competition. Does that make sense the way I'm trying to explain?

Last edited:
This is theoretically possible. A guild could start the Championship season in Copper with 0 LP, then win all 6 seasons of the Championship. At the end of the final season they would be in D1000 with six wins. Again, it's theoretically possible but did it actually happen? On the five worlds that I play, the Champion started in D1000, ended in D1000, and won all six seasons.

coolmite

Farmer
This is theoretically possible. A guild could start the Championship season in Copper with 0 LP, then win all 6 seasons of the Championship. At the end of the final season they would be in D1000 with six wins. Again, it's theoretically possible but did it actually happen? On the five worlds that I play, the Champion started in D1000, ended in D1000, and won all six seasons.
You seem only focused on the single champion of the Championship. My guild doesn't pretend to be the number one guild. We believe we are likely the 6th best and don't think it is unreasonable for a ranking system to try to reflect reality for the 3 month period that the Championship is happening.

And actually, I'm thinking of doing just what you said. In my world the easy levels are so non-competitive, I'm fairly certain that with the correct 5 players, I can pick up 6 victories taking a new guild from Copper to the top. All I need is for the real best guild is to lose once in the process to come out as the "champion".

I've also thought of getting 10 friends to create 5 two-man guilds - all with nearly the same name - I think we could get multiple in the top 10 to make a pretty silly looking leaderboard.

And actually, I'm thinking of doing just what you said. In my world the easy levels are so non-competitive, I'm fairly certain that with the correct 5 players, I can pick up 6 victories taking a new guild from Copper to the top. All I need is for the real best guild is to lose once in the process to come out as the "champion".
You should go for it. If you succeed, it will be a textbook pyrrhic victory. Your new guild will win 1 Championship but zero fragments of the Tower and it would be a "one-trick pony". To repeat you would have to lose, bad, six straight seasons and start over from scratch.

coolmite

Farmer
You should go for it. If you succeed, it will be a textbook pyrrhic victory. Your new guild will win 1 Championship but zero fragments of the Tower and it would be a "one-trick pony". To repeat you would have to lose, bad, six straight seasons and start over from scratch.
I'm not sure you and I share the same definition of a pyrrhic victory. The "devastating toll" of the victory would be almost non-existent. I'm not getting enough frags anyway. What it would do however; is highlight the absurdity of a ranking system that would let 5 players win a championship with a brand new guild that obviously has no business being there. Sure, we couldn't repeat.. but we could pretty easily yo-yo to remain a top 10 guild that again, has no business being a top 10 guild. Or we could just start a new guild with the same name and do it again. The best solution however would simply be for Inno to implement a ranking system that actually represents reality.

But I do think it would be funnier to flood the top 10 with very small guilds that also have no business being in the top 10.

Last edited:

Yekk

Regent
To repeat they need to just move to/start another like type guild before the start of the next season. Yes each guild would have just one win. Up to and including Platinum a small guild of a couple Indy/PE players can walk tiles without buildings using Turtles and Hovers easily winning first.

PilgrimDK

Merchant
Happened on our server. A Guild starting from the bottom got 6 wins and ended on 2. place with 1.000 LP.

Happened on our server. A Guild starting from the bottom got 6 wins and ended on 2. place with 1.000 LP.
What did they get for the effort? 72 hours of fame and that's about it. In about 12 hours their 2nd place finish will be little more than a memory and they will have beachfront property for the next two weeks trying to fight in D1000. Where I come from, this is called "a difficult climb to a lousy view".

coolmite

Farmer
What did they get for the effort? 72 hours of fame and that's about it. In about 12 hours their 2nd place finish will be little more than a memory and they will have beachfront property for the next two weeks trying to fight in D1000. Where I come from, this is called "a difficult climb to a lousy view".
They have a championship "1" beside there name that my guild will never have. They have a great recruiting tool to get new members. And finally... I don't understand why you don't care that 3 months worth of rankings are basically meaningless. Is it that crazy to ask for them to have some resemblance of reality?

I said this to you in another thread on the US forum. If you *only* care about getting the number one team right, this will get it most of the time (although not infallable). But if you care at all about the top 10, then this system is terrible.

They have a championship "1" beside there name that my guild will never have. They have a great recruiting tool to get new members. And finally... I don't understand why you don't care that 3 months worth of rankings are basically meaningless. Is it that crazy to ask for them to have some resemblance of reality?
They finished in 2nd place. No championship win.

For me, the rankings are meaningless because, in 12 hours, they will no longer exist.

I said this to you in another thread on the US forum. If you *only* care about getting the number one team right, this will get it most of the time (although not infallable). But if you care at all about the top 10, then this system is terrible.
I care about the #1 spot. Since no record is kept of the remaining finishing order I don't care about them. For me, the primary objective is finishing first in the Championship. After that, finishing in one of the top 3 spots each season. After that, meh. But that's me.

coolmite

Farmer
They finished in 2nd place. No championship win.

For me, the rankings are meaningless because, in 12 hours, they will no longer exist.

I care about the #1 spot. Since no record is kept of the remaining finishing order I don't care about them. For me, the primary objective is finishing first in the Championship. After that, finishing in one of the top 3 spots each season. After that, meh. But that's me.
But rankings aren't only for 12 hours. They are for every minute of every day. At the end of season one - all guilds get ranked - it isn't a lot to ask to have that ranking have some real meaning. At the end of every season, there are probably 5 teams that have no business being ranked in the top 10.

And yes, in this instance, fine - they didn't take the championship - but there are easily a lot of scenarios they could have. Many current champions only had 3-5 wins - not all of them were like your 5 worlds where the winning team had 6.

But rankings aren't only for 12 hours. They are for every minute of every day. At the end of season one - all guilds get ranked - it isn't a lot to ask to have that ranking have some real meaning.

And yes, in this instance, fine - they didn't take the championship - but there is easily a lot of scenarios they could have. Many current champions only had 3-5 wins - not all of them were like your world where the winning team had 6.
On all 5 worlds that I play the Champion won 6 times. On three of these worlds 2nd place also had 6 wins. Frankly, I would be happy to see worlds where the Champion only had 3-5 wins because that would indicate that guilds are more equally matched than I think they are.

coolmite

Farmer
On all 5 worlds that I play the Champion won 6 times. On three of these worlds 2nd place also had 6 wins. Frankly, I would be happy to see worlds where the Champion only had 3-5 wins because that would indicate that guilds are more equally matched than I think they are.
Do you not believe that there are worlds that had 3-5 win champions? There were a bunch listed on moo's discord.