• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Guild Battlegrounds: Optimization of the starting time

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
newlogo1.png

On Thursday, March 23rd, we have the first Guild Battleground with the new change of starting times.

This is the place to be if you have any questions about it or would like to discuss it with other players.
Please keep in mind that your opinion may differ from the opinions of other players, you don't have to convince each other of anything here. :)

We appreciate your feedback!

Please write your feedback in a factual and constructive way and stay on topic.
So that we can pass your feedback on to the developers, the following points would be important to note:
  • Feedback that only contains one sentence like "Battleground not good" is not helpful. Please make sure to include reasons for your opinion.
  • The same goes for positive feedback. We are happy about it of course, but describing what exactly you like is always very helpful!
  • Limit your feedback to the actual content. Feedback like "You should improve X" or feedback that refers to other game content or previous events is not helpful.
  • Use the "Like" button if another player has already reflected your opinion well.
Thank you very much and have fun!

CrashBoom

Legend
will the countdown show the exact time until it starts ?

or will it be for all at zero at the normal starting time
and players don't know if they need to wait 1 or 10 minutes ?

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
Afaik there is no timer, but you should be able to just open the window and then when it closes, the gbg for your guild started.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Does this affect reset time for the round? Frequently different worlds of mine have reset vary by as much as a minute or recently two in the difference. You think reset's here because it was in one world - and yet it's still waiting on others.

mcbluefire

Baronet
Can anyone honestly say they were experiencing lag in GbG @ open in beta?

While this might help with live servers, I only see the new system being tested here, not any actual stress on the server compared to live.

While the developers possibly know that there is some stress on the system at open, the real load on the servers has to be during peak mid-day and evening time when the majority of a guild are around to get hits in. Opening is typically only a small percentage of each guild showing up to take the biggest chunk of the map they can to establish who the dominant guild will be for the season. This is normally a fun, but relatively slow process in my experience. Due to the varied times it takes each guild on each map to move on and close sectors it seems that the staggering for the next unlock round across most maps is already in place without need for timed delay on starts.

The only time I've recently felt any lag in GbG is when one of the guilds we were playing against got in an unusually high amount of hits while racing us for a few sectors, quickly jumping from 1 to 45 hits in a matter of seconds. They either had 30 people on getting a hit in every few seconds or they were using a cheat (which supposedly doesn't work anymore) to get in tons of hits in a few seconds. Maybe this was timed perfectly with several other maps and guilds on the server also getting major hits in at the same time, but I doubt it.

I would imagine the Inno Ops team has metrics that show server load and GbG instance activities, but I'd bet they don't get down into much detail on how many incoming packets per IP per minute filtered to just GbG activity....that would be quite some overhead using sniffers and a log like that in a database would be way too much overhead.

I wish Inno luck in figuring out how to spread out GbG server load, but the odds of staggering season starts to help are incredibly small since little hinges on start of season time. The expected result, from my point of view, is going to be frustrated players who showed up at 8am server time twiddling their thumbs for up to 10 minutes waiting for GbG to unlock.

This, at least in part, answers what making folks attrition out earlier in their day was in regards to.

NoVa

Squire
Spoiler Poster
Is the round for those groups that begin later subsequently going to last longer or end at the usual time?

Demeter7

Squire
I think it would be great if you give all guilds a choice of a time frame to start. The early morning on a week day is troublesome for our guild on live because most are at work or school at that time.
Maybe give guild leaders a choice of AM/PM or even a slot of times, and then match guilds with that choice?
That would alleviate the performance issues when all are starting at the same time.

I don't think the 10 minute difference is that good actually. Some of us time a break at work so that we can play for at least the first few minutes.
Now we could totally miss the start, because we can not sit around waiting that long.

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
I think it would be great if you give all guilds a choice of a time frame to start. The early morning on a week day is troublesome for our guild on live because most are at work or school at that time.
Maybe give guild leaders a choice of AM/PM or even a slot of times, and then match guilds with that choice?
That would alleviate the performance issues when all are starting at the same time.
But that would not work, as you could only be matched with guilds, that chose the same start time. We don't have hundreds of guilds in the same league on every server to make this work, not even on the biggest servers.

Demeter7

Squire
But that would not work, as you could only be matched with guilds, that chose the same start time. We don't have hundreds of guilds in the same league on every server to make this work, not even on the biggest servers.
Maybe change the start time to evening, as long as it is changing? I know it is difficult to accommodate different time zones, but I am pretty certain the majority of those who work or go to school are not available at the current time.
And on the west coast the current starting time is 5 AM. That is kind of nuts. :)

Fire Witch

Forum Sorceress
Beta Moderator
I am pretty certain the majority of those who work or go to school are not available at the current time.
But then the change would not be necessary, would it? :D

Your proposal would actually make things worse. More people online -> more lags.

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
No time would suit all players.
On the same world, we don't all play from the same time zone or with the same constraints.

Does this mean the GbG nerf will finally see the light of day on live servers?

Demeter7

Squire
But then the change would not be necessary, would it? :D

Your proposal would actually make things worse. More people online -> more lags.
True.. but more people on-line for GBG, means more are interested in the game and are participating, which means more money for Inno.

And... as you just said, there are more people on in the evenings. How is it fair to start battles when there are fewer people on, when the feature gives an advantage to those who start first?

Demeter7

Squire
It seems that it would be more fair to match guilds who can all play at the same time. Right now there is an unfair advantage to guilds who have more people available in the early morning.

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
It seems that it would be more fair to match guilds who can all play at the same time. Right now there is an unfair advantage to guilds who have more people available in the early morning.
Do they? One of the big benefits gbg offers is that you can be active whenever you want and don't have to be there at one specific time every day.
If course it is a factor, but by for not a deciding one.
On my main world we continue to place quite good despite not being that active at starting time.

Also, with the current rebalancing here on beta it is more important to decide when you do your fights. If everyone does there fights at 8 AM, there is no firepower left for when you have to retake all those sectors 8 hours later.

Last edited:

CrashBoom

Legend
It seems that it would be more fair to match guilds who can all play at the same time.
but there are no 7 guilds on your server who can play at the same time and have a similiar league points to be grouped together

or do you want that a diamond guild plays 6 bronze guilds only because they have chosen the same starting time

Kommodor

Merchant
No matter how hard you try - guilds that "want" to have the same conditions will never compare to guilds that work to have an advantage. a jackal can never be compared to a lion or a hare.