• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Cannot Reproduce: Game hangs when left in background tab for some time

I usually have my Live (Brisgard) and Beta city in different tabs in Chrome. The city that is in the background tab will become unresponsive after some time. If left only for a very short period, it will continue as smoothly usual. Left for a bit more (can't say how much more) there will a noticeable delay until it becomes responsive again (e.g. animation start to move). Left for longer (like 30min or so) it does not wake up again an reload it needed.

This happens on both live and beta.

Browser Info:
1.150.87de5c5f116 (02.04.2019 9:22), Velvet Dreams (153546), zz1, en_US, WEB 7,1,1,0, Linux , Chrome/75.0.3745.4, 2560x1311, OpenGL Vendor=WebKit Version=WebGL 2.0 (OpenGL ES 3.0 Chromium) Renderer=WebKit WebGL GLSL=WebGL GLSL ES 3.00 (OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.0 Chromium) (512 MB VRAM)

Games Versions:
Live: 1.148.0dd3ce77f37 (20.03.2019 10:32)
Beta: 1.150.87de5c5f116 (02.04.2019 9:22)

beelzebob666

Overlord
Pathfinder
Spoiler Poster
I think this is happening mainly on low end machines - either the system or chrome itself is reducing cpu-load and RAM usage by putting the background tabs in a kind of sleep mode. On my low end tablet I can not have two cities open at the same time without the background one freezing kind of instantly. On a better machine I have no problem running multiple cities parallel without any one of them freezing for hours (they sometimes freeze though, if I switch between tabs too quickly).

It might help if you run the two cities in multiple instances/windows of chrome (so one tab per instance) or even in different browsers.

I think this is happening mainly on low end machines - either the system or chrome itself is reducing cpu-load and RAM usage by putting the background tabs in a kind of sleep mode. On my low end tablet I can not have two cities open at the same time without the background one freezing kind of instantly. On a better machine I have no problem running multiple cities parallel without any one of them freezing for hours (they sometimes freeze though, if I switch between tabs too quickly).

It might help if you run the two cities in multiple instances/windows of chrome (so one tab per instance) or even in different browsers.

ehm, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz is not a "low end" system.
RAM is not an issue:

$ free
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 16140756 7632496 4804084 487088 3704176 8040444
Swap: 2097148 0 2097148
FoE takes about 365k per Tab, having tow cities open should not be a problem. Active FoE tab is using about 10 % CPU (according to Chrome Task Manager), background tab is at 1%.

Chrome does have some optimizations for background tabs and there is an official Google/Chome guide on how to deal with those. Certainly the Devs will know if that can help or not.