• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Forcing users to register on Discord to read official messages

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
I find it very disturbing that Inno is now literally forcing people to register on Discord if they want to read official announcements. The latest message we got on Hungarian servers about the next event reads "click here to see the developers' message about the next event". and if you click, you need to log in to Discord. Why would a game force you to read annoucements in a third party application? What if I don't want to download a separate app just to read news from Innogames? This isn't very fair to be honest. I have Discord for other purposes but I know a lot of players in my guild who don't even know what Discord is and are not willing to register in a third party application to access news. Official annoucements should not be in a third party app.
I find the lack of any kind of acknowledgment of this concerns through official channels a bit odd. The above post has gotten 22 likes at the moment of writing, my post got also many likes:
Pls include in announcements like this a link to the international (beta) forum, not just discord. Alternatively be upfront and transparent with the intentions for future feedback and giving access to information and discussions. A platform that disallows non-members to read discussions and accessing information shared on the platform and only refer to such a platform is imo very bad and user unfriendly.
Yet no acknowledgement one way or the other. Even my question on this subject goes ignored by the CM. Not even other staff members bothered to make an attempt in communicating regarding the subject. I get it that they're very "busy" however being too busy to respond or trying to calm down concerns raised is rather odd.

To clarify I'm not talking about the reasoning behind shifting the announcements to a universal archive. I'm referring to the placement of information shared by official channels through a walled platform. Where you're forced to log-in to acces the information. Rather having a open platform like the forums or Inno's own site which they now use to facilitate a universal archive for announcements.

Outlaw Dread

Baronet
the placement of information shared by official channels through a walled platform. Where you're forced to log-in to acces the information. Rather having a open platform like the forums or Inno's own site which they now use to facilitate a universal archive for announcements.
That is exactly the issue. I dislike being forced to register on a 3rd party site, and provide my contact info. If Discord was open to guest log-ins, that would at least reduce the risk of being victim of a data breach. I've already had one that led to identity theft, so signing up for Discord is definitely not an option for me.
Apart from that, I completely agree that Discord chats
disintegrate into mindless moronic gibbering.

SlytherinAttack

Viceroy
Baking Sudoku Master
I can just think of one reason why they went to discord. It is for grouping active player base from all servers/world into a single communication medium. Sharing their immediate response and discussion which is happening with a handshake of community managers immediately is something new.

Though I hate to use and discord is not my cup of tea, FOE team preferred an easiest workaround to go with discord.

If not discord then "slack" is the alternate choice according to me.