• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Event's cultural themes

Which continent's cultures are missing the most from the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
There has been a discussion about various cultural themes within Forge's events. I'd like to point out that the summer event used to rotate various cultures. Before it was decided to settle on the pirate theme. While thanks to those original summer events some cultures are featured, some have never been featured in Forge.
This discussion topic is mainly aimed to discuss the lack of cultural representation.

The summer events featuring distinct different cultures:

Summer event 2015
Summer event 2016
Summer event 2017

I've setup the poll for an easier overview. To give an easier indication, of which culture the community feel are missing the most.

Personally I would've liked to see a continuous exploration of various cultures through a event. Much like the past summer events aimed for. Another company for example has a series for model houses across the globe. Drawing inspiration from various cultures.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
Tropical forests are not something only in South America, they are present in the tropics. It exists in Asia, Africa, Part of Oceania and also in America. So this GB is not exclusive to South America. Same thing with terraces, it doesn't exist only in Andean America, it exists all over the world after all it's a cultivation method and it's not exclusive there. When we want representativeness, it's not taking something general and transform that as if it were related to a place because it is not. Identity says a lot, as I said there are several things that exclusively represent that continent culturally or naturally Installing a terrace is not to say that it belongs to America, because it is generic, it exists everywhere. Now if you look at history, put a model similar to Machu Picchu or Christ the Redeemer, Patagonia, Local vegetation exclusive to that location such as the vastness of Salt that exists in Bolivia, Dunes that exist in Brazil, the Andes Mountain Range that crosses the continent etc. Make buildings that you will know are from that country or continent. You just look back and see how much the game has built of churches like gb. Tell me which church is outside Europe
My point made was rather that there quit a number of different cultures featured in the game. To me at least GE buildings and rain forest are quite clearly from southern America. GE1-3 largely themed around European expeditions into South American jungles. Like the GE ship suggests. Sure other jungles exist but the theme is pretty obvious. Similarly I could point at soccer event's Marina and pull-up similar looking marinas from around the globe. Than deny that it's specifically Mediterranean.
Regarding South America we can run circles about GE. Despite the theme being quit clear. We can agree it's a poor representation for the rich amount of different cultures found there.

yes there are some buildings from other cultures but they are either very old or not event buildings. Recently most event buildings (except for the wildlife) were European, mostly Southern European (Italian, greek, Spanish) in style. They don't have to be famous buildings, but could be styled around other cultures. Hanok houses from Korea for example, they look exquisite, unique and not copyrighted They are also recognisable different from japanese architecture. There are awesome temples in Thailand, with unique looks. African designs could be explored. Arab cultures are completely left out too. i'm not saying they should design a mosque or something but there are other brilliantly designed structures in the Arab world that could be referenced. Even Nordic could be referenced, we only have the Yggdrasil from there, which isn't really a building. The possibilities are endless but 80% of the time we get a Greco-Roman design or something western european.
Arab cultures are not completely left out. Thanks to summer event 2015 and tomorrow era GB's. Since the letter are modern adaptations for concept buildings from Dubai. Which reflect the more modern world of the Middle East. While they don't satisfy in their numbers and don't do justice to the larger Arabic cultures, they're not left out. Other cultures where never featured at all.

Imho it would be more interesting to see a larger variety in the game. Though I understand the implication can pose challenges. Due to the current events.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I think the main problem with some of the "missing regions" is coming up with much that would fit into the game going forward, particularly when restricted to something the player base identifies with/would be excited to have.

There's limited scope for more "ancient" content (maybe if they made another settlement - but given their last settlement bombed I think, that seems unlikely).

And "modern/futuristic" content looks not much different wherever it is as the world's gotten smaller - or as some regions are not there yet, just looks unimpressive. i.e. who knows what the location would be for much of the recent GBs.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
@xivarmy I agreed, though there are quite a number of recognisable architectural differences across the world. I think the most successful implementation would be through an event. Cultural significant buildings can be. Various alterations could exist too. An example are the 3 variations of the pagodas. While the event could require a bit more creativity from the devs, I think it’s quite achieved.
For example the original 10th anniversary of Forge. As a “journey” minigame. Halloween/archeology reskin could work too. Where the player travels through a library. Studying about various cultures. Another option could be a reskinned variant of wild life. Instead of the player looking for pawns, looking for signs. As the player is looking for directions to a cultural significant building. As was planned for the vacation. With either they can reuse the minigame every year for another culture.

Galata Tower came up recently when we were on Venus. So I think GB to be introduced even being in space ages is no problem. It just introduce GB and says which age it would be. There are no complications. It is not necessary to follow an order just because we are in space ages.

Last edited:

XIA*

Marquis
Arab cultures are not completely left out. Thanks to summer event 2015 and tomorrow era GB's. Since the letter are modern adaptations for concept buildings from Dubai. Which reflect the more modern world of the Middle East. While they don't satisfy in their numbers and don't do justice to the larger Arabic cultures, they're not left out. Other cultures where never featured at all.

that's what I said earlier, they are really old, 2015 was 8 years ago. These buildings are obsolte. Nobody puts them down, why would anyone put them down? They are useless and inefficient now to say the least.