• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Emissaries: a wasted opportunity

Beta-OD

Squire
As I’ve now completed both Vikings and Feudal Japan on my main world, I feel I can pen this properly. I also know that what I am going to say here will be controversial as this post will be able getting less FP from them.

I’d like to start with the premise that too many of the emissaries give the same thing so pretty much everyone will be using the same emissaries at the end meaning as they go, they are interchangeable and as such, not unique so not so interesting.

Currently the meta-game of the cultural settlements (if you are maximizing for FP) are:
Do Feudal Japan 2x, get 2 FP from Building, 1 FP from Emissary, then do Vikings 2x to get another FP from building and 1 FP from the Emissary. Once you’ve maximized your easy FP from the settlements, now focus on finishing one, then the other.

When you’re done, you’ve gotten a bunch of emissaries and will use the FP ones, maybe goods, maybe military units.

I think the mechanics of this should change. Each slot should be something specific, an FP slot, a goods slot, a military slot, etc. Getting more of the emissaries would increase the boost from the slot. It would be a progression bar that goes up as you get more of the specific emissary. 1 FP emissary gives 1 FP, to get 2nd FP, you need 3 FP emissaries total and so on you get less but they take up less slots meaning other emissaries have more value.

As we’d now have more slots, I’d suggest that the Egyptian emissaries give more unique bonuses and maybe re-arrange the bonuses so that the metagame of the order you do the settlements change.

Due to the nature of the game, I would suggest that emissary swaps could be done only once every 24 hours. I think the following would be appropriate and interesting boosts that emissaries could give and could possibly stack to some extent without becoming overpowered. There could be a specific number of special boosts slots.

-Bonus coins (specific or % boost) of the current cultural settlement
-% boost towards getting 4x goods in cultural settlements
-Specific amount diplomacy
-Time reduction in scouting new areas
-1 extra market negotiation chance per day (ie, like the GE silver boost but only works once a day, doesn’t store so its use it or lose it)
-Attack A and/or D boost
-Defense A and/or D boost
-Crowns
-Random Reward

tl;dr – Make Emissaries more interesting, even if we get less FP from them.

Sl8yer

Regent
This might be more interesting to you, but not to me.

Swapping emissaries only once every 24 hrs does not make sense at all. Even if you swap them every 5 mins, in the end only those that are in your town hall, whem you collect the town hall pay. You can collect your town hall only once every 24 hrs.

Beta-OD

Squire
This might be more interesting to you, but not to me.

Swapping emissaries only once every 24 hrs does not make sense at all. Even if you swap them every 5 mins, in the end only those that are in your town hall, whem you collect the town hall pay. You can collect your town hall only once every 24 hrs.

If the rewards they give you can be exploited by changing them all the time, it makes perfect sense to lock it down. Why would one be swapping them?

Edit, my response read more aggressive than I mean it to. Edited it.

Last edited:

Beta-OD

Squire
How can it be exploited?

If you gave something like A/D or some other passive, if people could change it, they would max out the passives all day until collection time, then swap them to their FP/Goods/Military/etc, collect, then back to A/D.

Emberguard

Emperor
I’d like to start with the premise that too many of the emissaries give the same thing so pretty much everyone will be using the same emissaries at the end meaning as they go, they are interchangeable and as such, not unique so not so interesting.

Currently the meta-game of the cultural settlements (if you are maximizing for FP) are:
Do Feudal Japan 2x, get 2 FP from Building, 1 FP from Emissary, then do Vikings 2x to get another FP from building and 1 FP from the Emissary. Once you’ve maximized your easy FP from the settlements, now focus on finishing one, then the other.

When you’re done, you’ve gotten a bunch of emissaries and will use the FP ones, maybe goods, maybe military units.
Yeah ok you've got my attention so far. I mean, I don't know of any game where you'd end up switching your loadout once you've found what you like unless the environment itself requires it no matter how many options there are anyway but ok.

I think the mechanics of this should change. Each slot should be something specific, an FP slot, a goods slot, a military slot, etc.
So.... the solution of no variety in your output is to make each slot one specific thing? How does such a limitation give us more variety?

Getting more of the emissaries would increase the boost from the slot. It would be a progression bar that goes up as you get more of the specific emissary. 1 FP emissary gives 1 FP, to get 2nd FP, you need 3 FP emissaries total and so on you get less but they take up less slots meaning other emissaries have more value.
So.... basically instead of using all your slots for FPs, you get a single slot taken up for FP output. Plus you'd still have room for goods, units, coins etc. Is this really solving the issue of no variety? Seems like it's more of a have room for everything. Am I missing some crucial thing in your plan here? 'Cause right now it seems to be going over my head in regards to how this makes them more interesting. if they're just going to stack why would I ever exchange an emissary out for another? With them stacking and additional slots being added with each settlement you'd have to come up with unique bonuses every single time in order to not have more slots then there are emissaries to place

Beta-OD

Squire
So.... basically instead of using all your slots for FPs, you get a single slot taken up for FP output. Plus you'd still have room for goods, units, coins etc. Is this really solving the issue of no variety? Seems like it's more of a have room for everything. Am I missing some crucial thing in your plan here?

Yes, missing something and mostly because I didn't type it well. There would only be a certain amount of special slot (or slots in general) so you'd have to pick what is important to you to put them in. The goal is to make you want to pick and choose and have to make choices on which ones are worth using instead of just the FP. Maybe stacking all the FP into a single slot isn't the best idea, maybe having them in the same slot a boost would go would make more sense.

Sl8yer

Regent
If you gave something like A/D or some other passive, if people could change it, they would max out the passives all day until collection time, then swap them to their FP/Goods/Military/etc, collect, then back to A/D.

Are there any emissaries that give a "passive"?

KungQu

Farmer
I like the idea of emissaries with different "skills". Perhaps a coin or supply boost. Seems like the simple solution would be that a coin or supply boost would work like one of the boosts we get in game where they are good for a period of time. In this case they would get a 24 hour boost when you collect from city hall or perhaps to make it more interesting the emissaries would have skills that stack; 1 emissary gives 2% for 8 hours, 2 gives 5% for 12 hours and 3 give 10% for 24

DeletedUser9522

How would that be possible if your townhall only pays every 24 hrs?
It should be quite simple.
You load the emissary with the passive bonus and it gets activated with collecting the townhall. It will then be active till the next collection of the townhall. If the emissary remains in the slot, then it will remain active otherwise another emissary gets activated / collected.

DeletedUser10047

It should be quite simple.
You load the emissary with the passive bonus and it gets activated with collecting the townhall. It will then be active till the next collection of the townhall. If the emissary remains in the slot, then it will remain active otherwise another emissary gets activated / collected.
I like the concept, but any passive bonus should only be effective for 24 hours. If the Town Hall goes uncollected for a period of time, none of any passive bonuses would be in effect during the time the Town Hall is uncollected. Switching out emissaries would have no effect on any passive bonuses. Only the emissaries slotted at the time of Town Hall collection provide any benefit.

1BFA

Viceroy
Keep it simple, passive emissaries skills will be activated when the player collects from town hall and the effect will last for 24 hours.

So lets say inno adds emissary -% boost towards getting 4x goods in cultural settlements, for next 24 hours that % boost will be active.