• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Discuss: Settlements are not worth the time

Power creep from event buildings - for the past few years have made the settlement buildings useless. Even a few years ago to now - I never did Japan settlement because the main price was supply increase. The mougals building from the last settlement was panned from the get go because you could easily make 30-60FP from a few fights in GBG. Yiggy and the sun temple used to be the top two buildings in the game for %/square, but now they've dropped down to positions 5 and 10 and only give attack and ONLY defense or attack where we are now expecting both.

The only thing that these buildings have in common is that they have all come out in the past few events (except house of the wolf in 2020).

So why oh why are people spending 6 months of their lives on sub-par buildings? What is the worth now in 2023?

SlytherinAttack

Viceroy
Baking Sudoku Master
Before Flying Island great building introduced in the game, I could have easily agreed with you.

But now, it is part of my daily game play in settlements. Those settlement incidents (shards), gives me compromising (and most satisfying) rewards.

If in case of being as an attacking player city, not keeping flying Island gb means nothing can be done. It's like questioning "Why you need blue galaxy gb as an attacking player?". It seems like inappropriate but these depends on each individual player needs and necessity based on their playing style.

I will encourage every players to finish each settlements for those "emissary" extension with townhall and to get coins, goods, supplies etc by doing easy settlements quests for their city maintenance and also ask to keep an active settlement all the time for receiving settlement incidents (shards) rewards from Flying Island GB placed in the city.

Power creep buildings? Existing settlements released time, those buildings are worth to have in the city (even now also it is worth for few players). Few event buildings overpowering them and Settlement building are stayed like our university course completion certificate. It doesn't have any improvement, since it's purpose is fulfilled. University doesn't stop us visiting again and again after course completion. Same goes for settlement too.

Final conclusion: There is no convincing answer on settlement buildings currently with the game progressing level.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
Power creep from event buildings - for the past few years have made the settlement buildings useless. Even a few years ago to now - I never did Japan settlement because the main price was supply increase. The mougals building from the last settlement was panned from the get go because you could easily make 30-60FP from a few fights in GBG. Yiggy and the sun temple used to be the top two buildings in the game for %/square, but now they've dropped down to positions 5 and 10 and only give attack and ONLY defense or attack where we are now expecting both.

The only thing that these buildings have in common is that they have all come out in the past few events (except house of the wolf in 2020).

So why oh why are people spending 6 months of their lives on sub-par buildings? What is the worth now in 2023?
Beyond the (grand) rewards, there are additional productions for the main building in the main city. Effectively it's possible to get a little more out of the city with 0 extra space. Personally I think that's what remains valuable enough. Even if events start to offer ambassadors, the extra slots from settlements remain valuable.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator

Well for 1 choosing to do settlements does not exclude anything else you might choose to do. So on a new world, with a city full of space to use on *something* better than build menu buildings, you should absolutely do some settlements. It'll be a long time before you have enough stuff even close to as good.

For 2, some of those buildings that are better in boost are not things we're going to have a lot of (forgotten temple will only ever average 1 at a time; feathered serpent statue is a 3x2 we'll get ~4 of per year if we do GE5 every week). So you're not going to be running out of space for settlement stuff.

For 3, Sun Temple was never overly efficient for the defense (sentinel long predated it). It's the addition of the FP & Goods to it that makes it decent.

While I am opposed to the degree of power creep that they jumped into the last couple events, that ship has sailed - wildlife is now live and Panda Shrine is absolutely as nuts as a settlement grandprize. I agree that it makes settlement grand prizes less special, but it does not go to the extreme you suggest of "not worth having". I would agree they're a bit more optional - but still of some value.

Perhaps they'll show up on the agenda again in the near future as the next "refreshed" feature. Could be as simple as tacking some more runs with new levels onto the end of the existing settlements.

ArklurBeta

Baronet
Despite there are now stronger buildings than these, this doesn't mean it's not worth the time to finish the settlements. Those who don't pay for the game, won't be able to fill their city with strong event buildings, for them it totally makes sense to get the strongest settlement buildings.

So why oh why are people spending 6 months of their lives on sub-par buildings?

You say this like settlements require you to play them 24/7 and not just...10? 15? minutes a day. If not less, because once you get the hang of it you'll get the things done much faster and if you don't care much about finishing it sooner (and since only the main building is really good, the "side-buildings" are kinda *meh*), you also don't need to make sure to play it perfectly.

So, all-in-all, I very much disagree with your statement, (some) of the settlements very much worth the time they require. That's another question they somewhat got under-powered next to the event buildings, and if Inno will keep adding-and-adding more powerful buildings, yep, we might get there that these settlement rewards won't have much value, but we are not there yet, regarding the majority of the (F2P) playerbase.

Sibel

Merchant
Maybe add def boosts, and adjust goods/attack. In fact those buildings became a little weak compared to the new event buildings.

the reason why you'd still get these buildings from settlements? simple: because they are much easier to obtain than those OP buildings from the lottery events, it just takes some time :p

oh, and the egyptian settlement building is still good also... 10 units for a 4x3 is still good :p

qaccy

Emperor
It's not necessarily about whether the settlement buildings are still (or ever were) the best buildings in the game. They just have to be better than whatever else you have available for the space to be worth building. Even the timed rewards are still decent space-fillers. I think it'll be quite some time before the settlement buildings hit the point that they aren't worth building at all, especially for players who spend very little to nothing on events and/or aren't as active in the game. How long would it take for a free player to build their city out to the point that Yggdrasil or even something like a Greater Runestone isn't worth building or can be replaced by something better?

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
It's not necessarily about whether the settlement buildings are still (or ever were) the best buildings in the game. They just have to be better than whatever else you have available for the space to be worth building. Even the timed rewards are still decent space-fillers. I think it'll be quite some time before the settlement buildings hit the point that they aren't worth building at all, especially for players who spend very little to nothing on events and/or aren't as active in the game. How long would it take for a free player to build their city out to the point that Yggdrasil or even something like a Greater Runestone isn't worth building or can be replaced by something better?
Greater Runestone can be bumped pretty quick these days. It's scarcely better than a L2 SoK that almost noone cares about anymore. I do still have 1 in my indy city but not because it's good - just because I still have a few 2x2 spots and haven't had time for my chocolate factory to make a few guardhouses to replace them (and the ancient obelisks which are slightly more lasting but also worse than a guardhouse).

Yggdrassil still has plenty of longevity though yes. Though we might revisit the question in a year or two as the stuff that would date it is just starting to show. Also it's the one holding up best of the 4 main rewards.

----

I think the larger point to them being dated isn't necessarily the point at which you'd delete it though (there's plenty of things I still keep around as good enough but would no longer chase - an already levelled Hagia Sophia for instance), but the point at which a new player goes "the impact of this building is low enough that I don't want to babysit settlements for 4 months to get it - especially since I no longer expect it to last forever but just to be filler until I get better" (or perhaps more likely simply gets told by their senior guild members not to bother with it).

Is it still better than what they have to replace it immediately? Sure. Is it really going to make a meaningful difference though when you can pull in 100%+ of new boost, for free, per event, and have 10 events a year? So if they don't enjoy settlements (and let's face it, most don't), it's an excuse to skip it. Not the end of the world, but could lead to the feature being about as dead as GvG.

It's not worth it and I say this because the buildings are getting stronger and will be overtaken in the next 3-4 events with even better buildings. The wildlife building would come with 40 fps and nerfed to 18.We don't have so many buildings that produce defense for attacking armies and not attack for defending armies. We have 3x3 buildings that are 15% attack, but we don't have a 3x3 that gives 15% defense to the attacking army. The antique shop most things are obsolete as it appears there. Do not really put something good if doubt is a good thing that comes a week. There is no shop so players can place their items to sell to other players in exchange for coins from the antique shop.They should also place one more level of the GBG building that matches the other building that gives attack. If the Elephant gives 15% attack because doesn't the statue of victory give 15% defense to the defending army? It would be the most logical thing to do.The game is full of bugs they don't stop adding things, instead of looking a little at what they already have and give it a makeover or put something in the city that can have a higher turnover in the games buildings and in the ups because it is illogical to wait 1 year or 2 to have another event building and not even to put past buildings in the antique shop often placed

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
:def_attacker:% is not super common but also not very rare anymore. Mainly sentinel outposts, ToV and nutcrackers providing quite a decent amount. Among other nice buildings like eagle mountains.
Imho the Japanese settlement rewards got the most outcompeted. The timeless dojo ain't that timeless anymore. For the moment quite a few settlements buildings are still good enough but like GE needs more to remain relevant. An additional level for some buildings would be greatly beneficial for the features' longevity. Buffing their fp, goods and buffs would be great for an additional level. Particularly with the forgotten temple's 20%:fpboost: could help in making them more interesting again. At least if fps are buffed with 3fps at the minimum.

qaccy

Emperor
I think the larger point to them being dated isn't necessarily the point at which you'd delete it though (there's plenty of things I still keep around as good enough but would no longer chase - an already levelled Hagia Sophia for instance), but the point at which a new player goes "the impact of this building is low enough that I don't want to babysit settlements for 4 months to get it - especially since I no longer expect it to last forever but just to be filler until I get better" (or perhaps more likely simply gets told by their senior guild members not to bother with it).
I guess this bit makes the most sense in a way, but it'll depend on the individual. Someone who considers it 'babysitting' may not enjoy doing it, but someone else may just think of it as something to do while playing the game, and a third person may actually have fun with them. In any case, I guess there's a varying degree of how much time someone expects to spend playing a game like this for rewards/progress. I see settlements as something to help limit downtime alongside events, GE, GBG, the PvP Arena, and excavation sites. Heaven knows I can't do much with my actual city besides stare at it and remind myself when collection time is. :p

Goldra

Marquis
When the settlements appeared, the event buildings were bad, so buildings like iggdrasyl or shinto temple were better than event buildings. Runic stones and infinite dojos were better than what we had.
When mugai settlement appeared, event buildings were better, and game was so focused on battles. So, a building that gives only fp had a low value for players. Thats why this settlement has been the less done of all settlements.
Now things are very simple: event buildings are much better than settlement buildings, and settlements buildings needs more effort than event buildings.
It doesnt matter if inno has created a GB like FI to make people do settlements. Settlement buildings need golden upgrade to make them better, but better than event buildings, to make people do settlements again.
Settlement buildings should buff troops in the 4 ways, but having one of them bigger than the others, being the best building in that way.
Yggdrasil in atk/atk; Shinto temple in def/def; Royal bath in Atk/def; sun temple in def/atk; and mugai temple in pf and goods.

Emberguard

Emperor
The last settlement they put out was to a pretty poor reception - I don't know too many people that have actually done the Mughals which is basically like Vikings but longer in gameplay. May have discouraged them from going further with the feature vs spending time on other stuff.

There’s a few other possibilities too
  • If we assume each settlement takes the average player 6 months, then there’s already 2.5 years worth available.
    • How long does the average player stick around in general?
    • Is a player 2.5 years in still going to care about Settlements?
  • Buildings like Yggdrasil are amazing, but they’re also available from Iron Age
    • Latest settlements are higher up in the Ages
    • Events scale up stats with Age, so higher Age Settlements start competing with higher base stats
    • How much power creep are the devs willing to put into Settlements if they’re only making it available to those closer to endgame?
  • Players tend to camp lower down in the Ages
    • If they intended to only release Settlements in higher Ages then they’re catering to a smaller pool of players that will already have far more established cities.