• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Attacking other players with a shield

virakovo

Farmer
Lately, it has been happening here and on other game servers that players attack cities and then loot them, that wouldn't be bad, the game allows this, but it happens that these players have the city's shield turned on from the pub, so you can't do anything at all, not to mention retribution, I wrote to myself even on other servers with players who are quite bothered by this behavior, do you think that FOE could somehow fix this poorly set game detail, for example by making the player who does this lose the shield automatically plus some punishment for shield abuse

Thank you for reading and your opinions and I hope this post does not disappear into the abyss of history and something is done about this problem

I would hate to leave this beautiful game

Tanmay11

Regent
a long time ago I made the idea that attacking from behind a shield would remove it

but people were against it
no reason why this shouldn't be done. either remove it completely at first attack or reduce the shield timing by say, 4hr or 8 hr every attack. i think some games use the 2nd approach, iirc it was CoC.

its just weird people sitting behind shields attacking everyday without any consequences.

Emberguard

Emperor
The games that remove protection when using a shield tend to not have limitations on how many times you can attack the same player. FoE limits it to once per player per 24 hrs. You already have a shield simply through the games design even when there's no active shield

If we're going to remove the Tavern Shield if you attack neighbours on the basis of what other games do, might as well do the reverse as well based on what other games do: Allow plunderers unlimited attacks and unlimited plunders

CrashBoom

Legend
in most other games the defender has the advantage

in FoE the attacker has a big advantage

I don't know any game where the defender would need at least twice the boost of the attacker to be able to defend his city succesful

Emberguard

Emperor
I don't know any game where the defender would need at least twice the boost of the attacker to be able to defend his city succesful
Again, if we're using "but that's what other games do" as the justification, then by extension the logic would be to boost the defending army to match what other games are doing. Whether that be a additional boost or extra army or whatever

Also other games you can plunder inventory xD

If players opted for city shield, then there ability of attacking others (neighborhoods) for the plundering purpose should also takes the cool down period of city shield. So by this, PvP, GbG, GE can all be processed but they cannot plunder till the city shield is in progress.

If this is suggested as an idea, all plunder wish players disagree for sure.

Using a City Shield is, at best, a barely sustainable strategy. A fully upgraded Tavern provides 1,356 silver per 16 seat collection. Depending on a player's Castle System level, the daily cost of a City Shield is a little over 7,000 silver. It would take a little over 5 full tavern collections to support a 24/7 City Shield (a little less depending on how many Tavern visits the player does during the course of the day). 57% of the player's friends would need to successfully visit his/her Tavern daily for this strategy to work. I don't think 57% is possible.

-Alin-

Emperor
Using a city shield or placing useless things in Your city that provide deff stats for Your defending army are totally useless, that's the same on FoE since 2013, the single time when observatory(gives support pool), deal castle and Saint basil were usefull, were 2013-14, till maybe 2015 for the support pool of a guild for GvG because attack stats were limited at that time from the trio (Zeus, aachen, monte) and attacking sectors and head quarters with higher boosts could deal damages on long run for the attackers.

Spending tavern silvers on city shields is again, very very bad idea, to protect 5-10 forge points and 15 goods from someone that attack and is successfull to plunder, it is really meaningless.
The issue here is that people are frustrated on the idea that they are plundered and in fact doesn't really matter to them what is plundered from them, it is just a pleasure to feel "safe" and not see the plundered icon.

I don't know what really happened with people in the past years, but when I was in 2012-2013, the whole game had only the hood and plundering, I was plundering people on a daily basis, and people were not complaing that hard, and if they were donating some forge points to my great buildings or having 8 expensive units I excluded them from plundering, easy as that.

And regarding to what You said about the city shield, it would be a good idea to be able to attack back that player that attacked You and had the shield put on, but only in this case, if he put that shield on and he didn't attacked You at all, well, You will not be able to attack and plunder him while he has the protection on.

Last edited:

Kronan

Viceroy
So we're looking for equality and we're discussing the morality for virtually attacking someone in the shell of a fairness doctrine or protocol? Many people struggle with this aspect of the game. Many people feel that a hostile city attack to take something is analogous to a real life home invasion, or worse, a deep personal sexual attack. They don't do it in real life, but it's allowed in a virtual one.

That grates on people for a long time in this game. It's OK to attack and try to plunder here, but not for real.

Gosh, there is even a Great Building designed to amplify and reward this aspect of the game for those that enjoy city attacking and make it a part of their game design; that's how important it figures into the core DNA of FoE.

In fact @virakovo - you have one (Atlantis Museum). I guess plundering others is important to you, eh?

In simple terms - I have no sympathy for your cause in specific or general. Someone bested you, and NOW you don't like it.

So...you're here complaining and even threatening to leave the game because it's NOW UNFAIR. I think it's more about your own morality line (what you call "fair") stopping at you doing back what they did to you, and the way they did it.

So - a personal inflection point you're struggling with and then ask INNO to fix. Bah..

I guess - You reap what you sow.

On the flip side, there is also a new recently added "protection" GB, that's relatively small and cheap to lift to help "probability" mitigate the ability to plunder a city.

I don't think InnoGames is going to change how it operates now, other than to possibly strengthen the DEFENSE (blue sword and blue shield) AI.

Most people learn early and often how to protect their city enough to stay positive about playing. There are some very "think outside of the box" strategies too if you're looking to stop everything - and they don't use a city shield, or even require any object defense at all. I'll leave those for you to figure out.

Besides - hiding repeatedly behind a city shield isn't something anyone can continuously do as a game strategy. It's cost prohibitive. See how many tavern turns you need/day with 16 chairs to effect that, and you'll see it not permanently game hospitable. I just noticed that @Pericles the Lion did a superb post on this: https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.c...other-players-with-a-shield.16011/post-147939

Basically, while attacking and plundering from behind a protection dome seems "cowardly", Inno allows it now, and historically. They allow a lot of things that don't make sense from a real world perspective, but it's their game and their rules.

If you collect on time, get a Galata Tower, and make your city less friendly to a walk in, someone might try, but then move on to greener pastures and mess with someone else... making someone easier to plunder (versus you...) the low hanging fruit.

I share your disdain for the concept that this is exploitative, but other's don't and capitalize on it. So don't get mad, get even. There are ways to do that too.

Welcome to FoE. Think out of the box. All kinds of satisfying solutions are available within Inno's framework.

Last edited:

Dessire

Regent
Just put all your production to finish at an hour where you know you can enter to the game and collect them. I have months and months without being plundered despite the fact of being attacked almost everyday.
also, if you get plundered. just see the GB of that player and ask for another neighbor for help. in which way? Imagine the position 1 of one the plunderer GB gives you 500 FPs. 500 x 1.9 x 2 = 1900. imagine that the owner needs another 300 FPs to secure position 1 for 1.9. so 2200 FPs are needed to level up the GB. 2200 divided by 3 = 733.3 the 2nd place should give 250 FPS. ask that neighbor who will help you to put 734 FPs. you put 735 FPs. you should wearn atleast 950 FPS if you have arc at 80. the player who is helping you will earn 475. that player loses 259 FPS. in your case you have won 215 FPs. you must return to your neighbor 259 fps. you lose 44 FPS but the plunderer...the plunderer now must spend an extra of 432 (732- 300 fps. . . the 300 fPS are the ones he/shen need to secure position 1 for 950FPS). in order to level up his GB XD you have made him/her lose 432 FPS! XD