• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Forcing users to register on Discord to read official messages

XIA*

Marquis
I find it very disturbing that Inno is now literally forcing people to register on Discord if they want to read official announcements. The latest message we got on Hungarian servers about the next event reads "click here to see the developers' message about the next event". and if you click, you need to log in to Discord. Why would a game force you to read annoucements in a third party application? What if I don't want to download a separate app just to read news from Innogames? This isn't very fair to be honest. I have Discord for other purposes but I know a lot of players in my guild who don't even know what Discord is and are not willing to register in a third party application to access news. Official annoucements should not be in a third party app.

nice2haveu

Baronet
I hate to use discord. But using third party cannot be forbidden. Facebook, Instagram, this forum everything is third party software application program only. They created their specific content here and using it. So, we cannot ask them to turn off third party application completely but we can request an in-game changes to view announcements or information without redirection behaviour is more than enough for different situation. IMO, adding links in announcements, moving here and there is bit annoying. I will accept something like movie ending casting details gets run in every movie. So, in-game adding a new tab in settings window to view the announcement and games special news with scroll behaviour is more suitable.

Traveler64

Squire
That announcement looks like it was written with the sole intention of making more people check out their Discord server. What was the point of it? It looks like an introduction to the History Event which we will anyway get when the actual announcement comes. Reading it in advance is of no use.

Unless I am mistaken, all of the announcements are available on the INNO Support site. Players that don't want to use Discord can still access all of the information, correct? I'm not a fan of Discord but that's mainly because I'm accustomed to the Forum and don't really care to learn a new system. Push comes to shove, I'm sure that I can manage in a Discord-only FOE world.

CrashBoom

Legend
Unless I am mistaken, all of the announcements are available on the INNO Support site. Players that don't want to use Discord can still access all of the information, correct? I'm not a fan of Discord but that's mainly because I'm accustomed to the Forum and don't really care to learn a new system. Push comes to shove, I'm sure that I can manage in a Discord-only FOE world.
depends
is the latest discord announcement (for live) a real announcement ?
on discord it is posted in the announcements sections

and we got an ingame message for it.

announce.jpg

depends
is the latest discord announcement (for live) a real announcement ?
on discord it is posted in the announcements sections

and we got an ingame message for it.

View attachment 11271
Well... whoever wrote that has some difficulty with English. Probably not his/her native language.

High risk does not mean you have to spend coin to win. It should mean you can still win without spending coin but you chances are very slim, that would be high risk.

I would contest the "improved version of the card game", but that is more an opinion and I suppose this get the same pass some marketing's "fiddling" with the truth get in advertisement.

BTW thanks for copying the announcement from discord. I have no intention of using this game discord server (even if I do have an account and I do use discord sporadically for other things).
Discord is the best website I found to consistently crush (1-2 times a day) a mac operating system (you need a specific set of steps but it works very consistently)!

XIA*

Marquis
there is no link provided to that in-game. They exclusively link only to Discord. Pardon me, if I don't want to go manually search for news every time they have an announcement.

XIA*

Marquis
I hate to use discord. But using third party cannot be forbidden. Facebook, Instagram, this forum everything is third party software application program only. They created their specific content here and using it. So, we cannot ask them to turn off third party application completely but we can request an in-game changes to view announcements or information without redirection behaviour is more than enough for different situation. IMO, adding links in announcements, moving here and there is bit annoying. I will accept something like movie ending casting details gets run in every movie. So, in-game adding a new tab in settings window to view the announcement and games special news with scroll behaviour is more suitable.
Third party application is fine until it is optional. As soon as they start linking only to Discord, it's not a very fair move. You can use Instagram if you use Instagra, but if they decided tomorrow, they'll only use Instagram from now on to announce game-related messages to players, would you really be happy with that? Because that's what they are doing right now: the message is not available on other platforms, only on Discord.

there is no link provided to that in-game. They exclusively link only to Discord. Pardon me, if I don't want to go manually search for news every time they have an announcement.
I play on PC and cannot speak about mobile. On PC, in-game, I right-click to get the pop-up then click on "contact support". This takes me to the Customer Support help page. There I click on "News" and get taken to the library of announcements. No Discord needed.

XIA*

Marquis
I play on PC and cannot speak about mobile. On PC, in-game, I right-click to get the pop-up then click on "contact support". This takes me to the Customer Support help page. There I click on "News" and get taken to the library of announcements. No Discord needed.
that's still multiple clicks and an extra effort needed to get to the news, AND search for it on the support site. Sorry, but this is not a solution. You are basically telling players "we don't care". And Discord is also register-only. You cannot see the message if you don't have an account registered.

that's still multiple clicks and an extra effort needed to get to the news, AND search for it on the support site. Sorry, but this is not a solution. You are basically telling players "we don't care". And Discord is also register-only. You cannot see the message if you don't have an account registered.
I'm not telling anyone "we don't care". I'm simply saying that there is a way, in-game, to access Announcements without resorting to using Discord. You stated that "Official announcements should not be in a third party app" and I showed how to find them within the INNO orbit. If that's not acceptable to you then there's nothing more for me to do.

angelgail

Baronet
XIA* right i made a coment bout it also but on a diffrent page the message only had a link to discord

Ameya, one of our game designers on Forge, has a special message for you regarding the upcoming History Event! On the menu: an improved version of the Cards mechanic, with new graphics, a new setting, and lot of gameplay improvements!

To find out more, visit our Discord server using the link below!

im a pc user

Atokirina

Squire
I find it very disturbing that Inno is now literally forcing people to register on Discord if they want to read official announcements. The latest message we got on Hungarian servers about the next event reads "click here to see the developers' message about the next event". and if you click, you need to log in to Discord. Why would a game force you to read annoucements in a third party application? What if I don't want to download a separate app just to read news from Innogames? This isn't very fair to be honest. I have Discord for other purposes but I know a lot of players in my guild who don't even know what Discord is and are not willing to register in a third party application to access news. Official annoucements should not be in a third party app.
I have the exact same opinion.

I use Discord full-time, but it sucks people need to use a third-party application just to read a developer's announcement.

They could use something like this or the forum: https://devblog.grepolis.com/

I have the exact same opinion.

I use Discord full-time, but it sucks people need to use a third-party application just to read a developer's announcement.

They could use something like this or the forum: https://devblog.grepolis.com/
I use Discord full time but ignore the FoE-Server for reasons unknown to me. The German forum and this forum are enough for me. I'm also sure that all official announcements find their way to support.innogames.com, so no reason to panic. It even says that the full anouncement comes on May 3rd.

Seriously???

Ingame you get a simple link to Discord, which basically means just one click (if/once you are registered there).
Ingame you don't get ANY advice on finding the information on any other sources. So at first glance and especially for users new to the game Discord seems to be the only available source.

Why would I EVER get the idea to click on "contact support" in order to find GENERAL information about what is going on in the game at the moment??? "Support" is for problems, not general information.

So your walk-around only works for people who are VERY familiar with this game and know about this solution for some reason, as it is not described as an alternative in the announcement. (I have been playing FoE since 2017 and even I didn't know about this!) Not mentioning that it takes several clicks more than the Discord-link.

Generally I think that it is okay to post information on Facebook, as a lot of people are registered there and the information can also be seen (but not commented on) by people not registered. YouTube also is accessible without any registration. The forum here is accessible without registration, unless you want to comment or like something. So these sources are basically open for everyone.

But to force people to get an account on a (external) platform in order to get general information (unless they know a walk-around) for me is not acceptable. Sorry.

I do not see that we are being forced to do anything. It is entirely up to the individual how they go about getting info they want about the game. I personally dislike the social media side of the internet. Whether it be Facebook, Twitter, Discord or whatever I find them cumbersome and timewasting. And in some instances they just disintegrate into mindless moronic gibbering. Like the in game global chat on steroids. I did use a private guild discord chanel when we did GvG but not since that ended as it holds no further attraction for me.

One thing I do find extemely worrying is the games stance on anti-social behaviour. I had a message removed and given a ban warning for saying I thought discord was no better than a bunch of gibbering monkeys (or words to that affect). And shortly before when I raised a ticket about the anti social conduct on the games global chat, I was told by a manager that it was not against the game rules to be anti social in chat. If this is in fact the companies stance on the matter., so be it. But it certainly does not encourage me to have any confidence in their discord chanel I for one will not be "forced" into a game wide discord chanel where such conduct is deemed acceptable. .

Last edited: