• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Discuss: Settlements are not worth the time

Emberguard

Emperor
I wouldn’t be against the idea, and would hope the Bronze Age version is much shorter in length, but Settlements are unlocked in Iron Age. So you’d have to also move when Settlements are available

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
Even Mughal empire's grand prize is already starting to be outperformed. At 1st I was considering to doing that settlement too but decided the rewards aren't worth the effort. The town hall bonuses aren't really what I'm looking for and while the daily 30fp (36 with forgotten temple) is sweet, I still feel better alternatives exist already.
Would love to see an additional run with more levels for the grand rewards. They're outperformed already by quite a number of buildings.

qaccy

Emperor
I think what ultimately ended up happening with settlements here was more of a proof of concept that they used to develop Rise of Cultures. Settlements here are a side thing for bonus rewards (probably since they couldn't exactly rewrite the game's progression systems when they first implemented them), while in RoC they're as important to progress as your main city is and can't be ignored. Now that Inno has a game that incorporates settlements from the start, they can focus the iteration over there instead of trying to add on to the half-baked version here in FoE.

I think what ultimately ended up happening with settlements here was more of a proof of concept that they used to develop Rise of Cultures. Settlements here are a side thing for bonus rewards (probably since they couldn't exactly rewrite the game's progression systems when they first implemented them), while in RoC they're as important to progress as your main city is and can't be ignored. Now that Inno has a game that incorporates settlements from the start, they can focus the iteration over there instead of trying to add on to the half-baked version here in FoE.
Well I hope in that game they arn't as horrible as they are on here lol. They kind of did it with the space settlements since you need those resources to progress ?

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
Honestly I suspected them more to have used settlements to test the mechanics of a “2nd” “city” in parallel with the main city. For the space colonies. Though the hypothesis as an early pre-beta/Alfa for rise of cultures sounds plausible. Although I haven’t tried that game.
I’ve find Elvenar much harder than Forge to get anywhere, after getting my 2nd automatic hard reset due to inactivity, I gave up permanently. Never tried after that poor experience another FoE “successor” or variant.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Honestly I suspected them more to have used settlements to test the mechanics of a “2nd” “city” in parallel with the main city. For the space colonies. Though the hypothesis as an early pre-beta/Alfa for rise of cultures sounds plausible. Although I haven’t tried that game.
I’ve find Elvenar much harder than Forge to get anywhere, after getting my 2nd automatic hard reset due to inactivity, I gave up permanently. Never tried after that poor experience another FoE “successor” or variant.
I didn't find elvenar hard. A bit boring - and yea, a 2 week break to come back to "city's gone, start over" pretty much killed my interest in it. Oh and bugs where I couldn't actually do manual fights more than 2-3 at a time without it crashing :p

CDmark

Baronet
Are settlements worth my time? Not really but the game has other player types. Settlement buildings can really help those casual players, ones not into GBG, GE5, events, GBs too. They can play on their own. Would I want another Yggy level, sure. But if it stays the same, fine too.

Last edited:

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
I didn't find elvenar hard. A bit boring - and yea, a 2 week break to come back to "city's gone, start over" pretty much killed my interest in it. Oh and bugs where I couldn't actually do manual fights more than 2-3 at a time without it crashing :p
Speed run in getting rid of players, lol. Yeah I also was unable to play it for a few weeks. Only to return to a hard reset. Months of work to the drain, twice. I find it rather too much of a grind to get anywhere. Quickly becoming boring. The fantasy theme is quite decent but the execution, relentless hard resets in a short time of inactivity and the overall slow progression towards anything turned me away. Ultimately it also turned me away from trying other new Forge based Inno' games.

On topic, I only find the town hall bonuses worth it and for the aesthetics the Vikings' tree and the sun temple for the GE/jungle corner next to the treasure hunting pirates. The bathhouse on its own is to me definitely worth while. Despite increased competition. Its efficiency remains supreme.
The Mughal empire's rewards are imho not really worth it anymore. The town hall bonuses are not that great and the 30-36 with an occasional 2x BG boost is not worth it to me either. Since soon enough when I'm about to get there some crazy efficient fp-event building probably shows up around the corner, lol. For the aesthetics I find it also not that worth it; can't combine it with anything else from events.

To summarise, imho Egypt is the most worth it of all, Vikings is debatable but every other settlement is worth-ish to do for the town hall bonuses. Except for the Mughal empire. It lacks the military units bonus, lacks the longevity in its grand reward to remain long-term competitive and lacks aesthetics to combine with other (special) buildings.

Dursland

Merchant
Even Mughal empire's grand prize is already starting to be outperformed. At 1st I was considering to doing that settlement too but decided the rewards aren't worth the effort. The town hall bonuses aren't really what I'm looking for and while the daily 30fp (36 with forgotten temple) is sweet, I still feel better alternatives exist already.
Would love to see an additional run with more levels for the grand rewards. They're outperformed already by quite a number of buildings.
Indeed. I've already made the decision to skip Mughal in US29.

Yggdrasil and Sun Temple are outclassed but still good enough to have in city. And I want Egypt for the units. But Mughal? No thanks, event buildings are matching it in fps per tile now, and especially goods per tile.

I even finished Japan because it's fast and got me 12fp/50 goods producing very early in the game, plus the needed supply boost. But by now Mughal is worthless to me.

Would I want another Yggy level, sure. But if it stays the same, fine too.
I put this idea into play and it was forwarded let's see what comes next, another also added my Idea that instead of putting just one more level in each Settlement, there would be other Settlements that gave 30 fragments to each wave and totaling at the end of this new Settlement after 10 agreements 150 fragments that would give the value of the golden up. My idea was to be faster and the other opted to create Settlements that gave frags so I don't know if like the golden up that gives 3x more bonus I would opt for a new Settlement, but if only with put a 25% or 50% bonus, I prefer it to be just another agreement created within the Settlement itself.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator

This isn't something coming to live imminently, but when polynesia is released according to the text. They're giving us heads up time to know it's time to catchup is all so that we're not unnecessarily behind when the changes do hit and outraged that we had no idea this was coming. This is just information for the sake of planning.

To paraphrase: Yes your settlement grand prizes will continue to suck for a bit longer, but they won't "soon" - so get cracking :p

Emberguard

Emperor
To paraphrase: Yes your settlement grand prizes will continue to suck for a bit longer, but they won't "soon" - so get cracking :p

Yeah. If we assume it'll take 6 months to complete a settlement and there's 5 plus the upcoming Polynesia Settlement, that'll keep us busy for the next 3 years (minus whatever we've already completed)

Plenty to work on no matter how far away the update ends up being unless you've already completed it all

CrashBoom

Legend
Yeah. If we assume it'll take 6 months to complete a settlement and there's 5 plus the upcoming Polynesia Settlement, that'll keep us busy for the next 3 years (minus whatever we've already completed)
considering that "old" players are already finished with all 5 I hope the new one will take at least 1 year :rolleyes:

i'd like to see a settlement in prehistoric age (cavemen? ^^), or some futuristic space age (mars, accessible post-mars age to learn what happened when you left your original colony behind...)

maybe a settlement that reveals the fate of our old 'friend' ragu silvertongue would be fun too...