• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Anniversary Event 2023

mcbluefire

Baronet
I didn't ignore any red gems on the board, I did the best with what I was given, resulting in around 45% red keys. I then chose chests based on which key colors I had, focusing on the chests that required more red.

I don't like it either, but it's possible to deal with.

That's what I'm not following, my good man - the logic of keeping the keys balanced manually - what is the point?

One cannot deal with a double stacked higher spawn rate of one of three keys without either avoiding them on the board or picking lower chests. Both of which hurt main prize progress. So I cannot follow a strategy that would limit main prize progress to keep my keys balanced. I'd rather just lose the keys.

Hoping it will click for me soon, but just not seeing the point of doing anything about it. ;0)

I only see clearly that if a lower level chest with only red key demands come up that's a freebie, so take it. I saw a whopping two or three of those in all of the chests I took in the event. And, of course as soon as I ran out of a green or blue stack one or two chests collected later and all three needed green or blue (whichever was out).

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Why would you limit your main prize progress by ignoring red gems on the board? How do you do anything when spawn after spawn is red, red, red, green, red, green, red, red, green, red, blue level 4 and you need a level 1-3 blue?

How do you balance spending red keys when chest set after chest set is green only; green & blue; red, green , and blue? When the only chest you should be going after is the gold why would you then want to focus on red; red w/ blue; or red w/ green lower level chests? That's purposely shooting youself in the foot twice!

It is imbalanced for literally no reason other than to waste red keys.

This is how I left the event after picking up my fully upgrade building just before they nerfed the event:

View attachment 9035
It makes it more interesting game-wise. That there is a reason to choose different chests rather than "always biggest".

i.e. your 88 fire keys would've been worth something if they were "wasted" on lower level chests. You chose to stick with only the big one and stranded a bunch - and that is an option. Though I think the grand prize progress is pretty close either way actually.

With 30-40-30 key ratio based on spawn ratio, and 30-30-30 of those keys used, 10% of keys gained are stranded if you ignore balancing and just take average usage. You also lose a bit from the "gold ratio" from the times there is no gold chest.

With balancing usage (i.e. picking lower chests when it suited what I had better) I found myself to get about 90% of gold ratio as the average, so I give up ~10% to choose the chests that use up keys. But I use up almost all of my keys (i had 1 fire key left over before the nerf).

Main difference is the balancing usage would get more daily specials.

It is true that triple keys makes the balancing harder - because it relies on having a lot of chest choices to "fix".

mcbluefire

Baronet
It makes it more interesting game-wise. That there is a reason to choose different chests rather than "always biggest".

i.e. your 88 fire keys would've been worth something if they were "wasted" on lower level chests. You chose to stick with only the big one and stranded a bunch - and that is an option. Though I think the grand prize progress is pretty close either way actually.

And here is where your assumption is wrong. I did not have the opportunities to just spend red keys more than three times in the entire event, remember we are dealing with RNG here. Yes, I even wasted opportunities taking a silver chest with red & my slightly higher other key. Then I figured out how counter-productive that was - I was trading in my keys for a lower main prize progression rate just so I could use up more red keys! Made literally no mathematical sense.

Kronan

Viceroy
I didn't ignore any red gems on the board, I did the best with what I was given, resulting in around 45% red keys. I then chose chests based on which key colors I had, focusing on the chests that required more red.

I don't like it either, but it's possible to deal with.

I've tried to do my best too, but I spent 250 energy yesterday and the the same 2 days before on a new board, and think I got ONLY enough green and blue spawns to MINIMALLY cover the massive chest balance deficit I had of those 2 colors (posted a few pages back).

That got me enough to open about 1 or possibly 2 chests- each day. That progress is anemic. It's no way to make event advocates or keep people interested.

That's the reality I'm seeing. Players can deal with it, but aren't going to. That's my bet. They're cranky and don't want Mensa complexity. This is even MORE complex and UNLIKE St. Patrick's day which is still complex to new players.

Why? Because with St. Patrick's - we have made a step-by-step recipe for it - and it's 4 years of study on a board that can be mastered, because it's the same each invocation. - SO... just follow the step by step recipe.

You can't write a recipe for Anniversary 11. You can give tips and hints - but NO RECIPE.

That's a stark reality from when it was easier, with a "let it rain, let it pour game bounty" that preceded the event's new tourniquet.

nice2haveu

Baronet
And here is where your assumption is wrong. I did not have the opportunities to just spend red keys more than three times in the entire event, remember we are dealing with RNG here. Yes, I even wasted opportunities taking a silver chest with red & my slightly higher other key. Then I figured out how counter-productive that was - I was trading in my keys for a lower main prize progression rate just so I could use up more red keys! Made literally no mathematical sense.
Don't know whom to stand with, since both are ending with same result but with different approach.
That's the beauty of this event balancing now.

Anyways, no person can play the mini game by only opening the gold chest till the end of the event. If any player does that and that too without using diamonds, I will again join University to study "advanced statistics for data science".

Manually balancing is not needed, but average energy power from chests to fill the grand prize is okay. Not okay to go with bronze chest. Bronze chest is typically for daily prize. This event, straight classification should be declared from day 1 to end of the event day for choosing grand prize or daily prize. If expecting to grab both, you will definitely get daily special prize, but no guarantee for grand prize building with golden Max level power in the city without spending diamonds or money.

Sigmus I

Farmer
Merge is really not fun and a bit hard to understand, but the most of all - it takes too long to complete.
I can clear 3 table and than just get boring.
I like future designed main building, but it seems like I'll have no time to get it

mcbluefire

Baronet
Don't know whom to stand with, since both are ending with same result but with different approach.
That's the beauty of this event balancing now.

Anyways, no person can play the mini game by only opening the gold chest till the end of the event. If any player does that and that too without using diamonds, I will again join University to study "advanced statistics for data science".

Manually balancing is not needed, but average energy power from chests to fill the grand prize is okay. Not okay to go with bronze chest. Bronze chest is typically for daily prize. This event, straight classification should be declared from day 1 to end of the event day for choosing grand prize or daily prize. If expecting to grab both, you will definitely get daily special prize, but no guarantee for grand prize building with golden Max level power in the city without spending diamonds or money.

Noone to stand with, I'm just trying to broaden my understanding with @xivarmy and @MooingCat. Nothing but respect and admiration for both of them!
Heck, I'm only doing it for "exercise of curiosity" anyway as I'm unlikely to do any of the event in live as things stand right now. At the very least it just gives us all something to think about, which is more than half of the fun of this game. The thing that drew me into this game was problem solving. I have over 100 spreadsheets in my Forge of Empires google sheet, most of them just attempting to determine the most efficient path to get a goal achieved.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
regarding the game itself, wanted to provide an example board or two, under the new balancing. I'll try to do the spawns without executing the moves until I've decided to stop (keeping track of how the pieces will be used without using them):

1677954753589.png

Spawn​
Energy​
Keys​
Gem XP​
Progress​
EV-Next​
Clear?​
Start​
0​
6.84​
243.2​
Fire-3​
10​
3​
3​
6​
5.71​
243.2​
Wind-1​
20​
3​
6​
9.75​
4.81​
219.5​
Water-1​
30​
3​
3​
6.75​
3.86​
219.5​
Water-1​
40​
0​
0​
0​
4.67​
219.5​
Wind-3​
50​
3​
1​
4.75​
4.48​
219.5​
Fire-3​
60​
0​
1​
1​
4.12​
219.5​
Fire-3​
70​
0​
0​
0​
4.12​
219.5​
Wind-1​
80​
3​
3​
6.75​
3.18​
200.0​
Fire-4​
90​
0​
0​
0​
3.18​
200.0​
Fire-4​
100​
0​
0​
0​
3.18​
200.0​
Water-1​
110​
3​
2​
5.75​
2.37​
200.0​
Avg​
3.70​

A lot of undesired high-tier fire pieces this time. After the first fire-3, I needed either fire-1 or fire-2 to get more fire keys because there's only 1 top half amongst rank 3/4 fires on this board.

After the first water-1, a second water-1 was of no immediate value but made the possibility of another water-1 equivalent to a water-2 which I needed.

At the stopping point, if I was interested in aggressively full clearing atm, this board was still worth considering moving on a while longer even though the EV had dropped below my threshold (2.9) (a bit higher than 200 more Avg energy to clear isn't bad - and the EV isn't catastrophic yet to explore a few more) - but I don't have energy or motivation to spend diamonds to try to do more at this point in the event. To get more keys on this board I would need water-2, wind-2, or fire-1/2. water-1/wind-1 could be of value in pairs though which is not accounted for in the EV-next.

After the merges:
1677955597642.png

---

Next board:

1677957333631.png

Spawn​
Energy​
Keys​
Gem XP​
Progress​
EV-Next​
Clear?​
Start​
0​
5.35​
257.1​
Fire-3​
10​
3​
3​
6​
4.43​
257.1​
Water-2​
20​
3​
2​
5.75​
3.51​
257.1​
Water-2​
30​
0​
1​
1​
3.29​
257.1​
Water-1​
40​
1​
1​
2.25​
3.79​
257.1​
Fire-1​
50​
3​
3​
6​
3.79​
257.1​
Water-1​
60​
2​
1​
6​
3.11​
257.1​
Water-1​
70​
0​
1​
1​
2.97​
257.1​
Fire-1​
80​
3​
3​
6​
1.83​
257.1​
Water-1​
90​
0​
0​
0​
1.83​
257.1​
Water-3​
100​
0​
0​
0​
1.83​
257.1​
Fire-2​
110​
3​
2​
5​
1.32​
257.1​
Fire-1​
120​
0​
0​
0​
1.70​
257.1​
Wind-3​
130​
3​
8​
11.75​
1.14​
177.8​
Average​
3.90​

Ok so this one was a bit weird. No Wind-2s but *so many* Wind-4s... I think there's probably a good chance I should've stopped after 80 Energy. I'd dropped below threshold, but *all those wind-4s* still up tempted me (the 2 wind-1/2 option to get them is not reflected in the EV). But I still needed either a wind-3 or 2 wind-1/2s to get it. It was a gamble and on reflection the payoff even though I got reasonable luck (5 spawns to get either a wind-3 or 2 lower winds) was not that great anyways!

This board is not worth continued exploration because most of the key potential is gone. So you either have to commit to the full clear at this point (still requiring 2 wind 1s, and 2 wind 3s (the two wind-1s will pick up the third), while having very little value left in the other two elements - maybe 3 more fire keys eventually), or reset. Which is a very similar gamble in terms of risk/reward as the one I made to the one to pick up those 7 wind-4s I refused to strand :p

After merges:

1677958097303.png

I honestly love this event. It's the first one that I've found enjoyable in a long time, and I love the prizes. The only thing I'd like to see change before it goes to the live servers is more variety in the pieces you get when you spend the 10 energy increments, instead of mostly just 1 color (varies by board which one is overdone).

-Alin-

Emperor
Many in this event will end with a level 6-8 tower of conjuction, they will struggle to understand the minigame even with a tutorial in front of them and barely to put them and play on an extreme basis to analise how many energies they spent and how many progress/keys they got, they have to open one gold chest each day, pay attention for incidents and play 2-3 runs a day ...

For people with spreadsheets prepared all along will not be an issue, but these people are few ...
InnoGames expect people to stay and do math and statistics from morning till evening just for one event?
Many just want to relax and have a margine of error to learn how to play that minigame but still to get a maximum level building ...
Another annoying thing for them will be the missproportion of keys and gems spawned and many will abandon the event just for that.
Having a table with lots of blue and green and few reds but You spawn 10 Red gems in a row is not fun.

Dessire

Regent
how many pass points can you get by doing doing 4 board resets, (140 energy) and by doing 5 resets (300 energy) every day? asuming you spend enough diamonds to buy extra energy and spend an extra of 160 of energy to do the 5th reset.
I am asking this because one of the main factors in order to achieve 5000 or 5500 pass points to have 3 lvl 4 key master's workshop is doing more resets per day.

Dessire

Regent
Many in this event will end with a level 6-8 tower of conjuction, they will struggle to understand the minigame even with a tutorial in front of them and barely to put them and play on an extreme basis to analise how many energies they spent and how many progress/keys they got, they have to open one gold chest each day, pay attention for incidents and play 2-3 runs a day ...

For people with spreadsheets prepared all along will not be an issue, but these people are few ...
InnoGames expect people to stay and do math and statistics from morning till evening just for one event?
Many just want to relax and have a margine of error to learn how to play that minigame but still to get a maximum level building ...
Another annoying thing for them will be the missproportion of keys and gems spawned and many will abandon the event just for that.
Having a table with lots of blue and green and few reds but You spawn 10 Red gems in a row is not fun.
people is so lazzy in foe , even when all the info to take advantage of any feature in the game is available on the internet. I have found a lot of high age players (like virtual future) with no frontenac or a low level frontenac, without knowing that they have lost thousands and thousands of diamonds for not have it at level 80 at a low age like colonial age. what can you expect for those players? they do not care about have a good progress in FoE. A person who really cares about his/her city, will do anything to improve his/her city the best he/she can, including looking for info.
FoE is the example of: do an effort and you will be rewarded, do nothing, wait for have everything received from other players and you will get nothing.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
how many pass points can you get by doing doing 4 board resets, (140 energy) and by doing 5 resets (300 energy) every day? asuming you spend enough diamonds to buy extra energy and spend an extra of 160 of energy to do the 5th reset.
I am asking this because one of the main factors in order to achieve 5000 or 5500 pass points to have 3 lvl 4 key master's workshop is doing more resets per day.
At my budget-boards level you could get somewhere between 5000 and 5500 with 5 boards a day (+ double daily chest and daily challenge) (=~19k diamonds). 4 boards a day (=~5000 diamonds) would be about 900 lower.

If you up the "cutoff" point where you reset a board and spend a little more on average you could probably make the 5500 reliable (and you should do either that or look for some reasonable-to-clear boards rather than go for a 6th reset a day for 320 - the 2.9 progress per spawn number is what I came up with when the alternative is more 4th boards ; 2.5 is the alternative to more 5ths ; and 2.0 is the alternative to more 6th boards).

Dessire

Regent
At my budget-boards level you could get somewhere between 5000 and 5500 with 5 boards a day (+ double daily chest and daily challenge) (=~19k diamonds). 4 boards a day (=~5000 diamonds) would be about 900 lower.

If you up the "cutoff" point where you reset a board and spend a little more on average you could probably make the 5500 reliable (and you should do either that or look for some reasonable-to-clear boards rather than go for a 6th reset a day for 320 - the 2.9 progress per spawn number is what I came up with when the alternative is more 4th boards ; 2.5 is the alternative to more 5ths ; and 2.0 is the alternative to more 6th boards).
1 bord is for free, the 2nd one for 20, 3rd one for 40, 4th one for 80. so the 5th which is 160 would mean in 20 days, 3200 of energy :( I will be lucky if I can get enough diamonds to spend 3980 and get 1640 of energy.

-Alin-

Emperor
people is so lazzy in foe , even when all the info to take advantage of any feature in the game is available on the internet. I have found a lot of high age players (like virtual future) with no frontenac or a low level frontenac, without knowing that they have lost thousands and thousands of diamonds for not have it at level 80 at a low age like colonial age. what can you expect for those players? they do not care about have a good progress in FoE. A person who really cares about his/her city, will do anything to improve his/her city the best he/she can, including looking for info.
FoE is the example of: do an effort and you will be rewarded, do nothing, wait for have everything received from other players and you will get nothing.

How to tell You, but for many players a game should not be a second job and that stressfull, they are playing it casual. But Anniversary Event in the current formual requires a PhD degree in merging gems, lol.

I am opposite, I treat games as Something important, as many active players around here does, because I want to get stronger sooner than later, and I find ways to play games in a smart way with less time required, I could have ended with 5G in ranking, but I do still have a life and studies to do, so for my time given for this game, where I am now is much more than I ever expected.

Last edited:

Dessire

Regent
How to tell You, but for many players a game should not be a second job and that stressfull, they are playing it casual. But Anniversary Event in the current formual requires a PhD degree in merging gems, lol.

I am opposite, I treat games as Something important, as many active players around here din, because I want to get stronger sooner than later, and I find ways to play games in a smart way with less time required, I could have ended with 5G in ranking, but I do still have a live and studies to do, so for my time given for this game, where I am now is much more than I ever expected.
last time I played the minigame was before the 2 nerfs and. . is too sad see how now you need like 18 keys in order to open the best chest. It seems this Anniversary event has become one of the worst events ever. It started perfectly, enough to make a lot of players think about spend 15USD to get the pass and now. . iugh how can a company ruin it's own product? -.-

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
last time I played the minigame was before the 2 nerfs and. . is too sad see how now you need like 18 keys in order to open the best chest. It seems this Anniversary event has become one of the worst events ever. It started perfectly, enough to make a lot of players think about spend 15USD to get the pass and now. . iugh how can a company ruin it's own product? -.-
The problem with an event that is too generous they explained quite well as a concern of balance - it hurts the longevity of the game if people get everything they want too fast by rapidly trivializing existing content (which will always be the majority of content in the game - it takes too long to make new content for it to be otherwise).

Now I do agree they overcorrected here by making it very tightly balanced now as a minigame that's going to require some experimentation - and that is unlikely to be played efficiently by the majority of players. I can hear the *it's impossible* ringing in my ears already. Perhaps after data on how the last week was played there'll be a correction to some sort of middle-ground between phase 2 and 3 of the beta - likely at this point if so it'll come between beta and live.

Dessire

Regent
The problem with an event that is too generous they explained quite well as a concern of balance - it hurts the longevity of the game if people get everything they want too fast by rapidly trivializing existing content (which will always be the majority of content in the game - it takes too long to make new content for it to be otherwise).

Now I do agree they overcorrected here by making it very tightly balanced now as a minigame that's going to require some experimentation - and that is unlikely to be played efficiently by the majority of players. I can hear the *it's impossible* ringing in my ears already. Perhaps after data on how the last week was played there'll be a correction to some sort of middle-ground between phase 2 and 3 of the beta - likely at this point if so it'll come between beta and live.
before the first nerf, a well informed player about how to play the minigame was able to earn enough key master's workshop to have 3 copies at level 4, with some diamonds spent maybe a 4th one. now, with a level 91 blue galaxy, those 3 workshops would allow you to have 1 kit every 10 days, enough to have 3 towers at level 11 per year and obviously 6 in 2 years, with a total of 7 in 2 years. how is that being too generous when 7 in 2 years means 147 squares and in therms of FPs a max. of 112 FPs and in therms of attack no more than 190% of attack? in 2 years!!! if you compare that with all the expansions you can have in FoE, that is nothing! you are not giving any incredible in long therms to any player! and in 2 years Innogames can easly create an event with buildings which can make those towers obsolete.

Innogames was not too generous, was finally a good company to us during an event. . . .