• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Reported to Developers: Wordwrap functionality doesn´t work correctly

Troubleshooting
All cleared etc., other browsers have the same issue on Windows
I've been posting this problem as a bug in the German forum for half a year, but unfortunately it was obviously not forwarded or processed, so I'm documenting it again here - it also exists on the beta.

The problem always occurs when smileys or other special characters are used in longer texts.
I'm not sure if this is a specific problem when using the German version (possibly encoding - I have the same problem on the beta server), but it's quite annoying as letters are swallowed and the line break function after using a smiley isn't more working properly.
If I write a very long text without smileys, everything works fine, but if I use emojis, the problem starts from this line.
I have illustrated this with the attached screenshot, where the problem can be seen.
It would be really good if this problem would be fixed by you guys.

Wordwrap.jpg

Browser or App version and version number
Google Chrome on Windows 10 and 11, newest version and all versions before
Recreation steps
Write a message and add one or more Emojis
Add additional longer texts after this
Frequency
Every time
Can this be reproduced?
On Beta and Live Server (Screenshot is made on the Beta Server)

Leones

Marquis
It has been forwarded, but it has indeed not been fixed yet. We'll have to wait a little bit longer for that unfortunately.

It has been forwarded, but is has indeed not been fixed yet. We'll have to wait a little bit longer for that unfortunately.

I hope this doesn't take another 7 months, but thanks for the forwarding.

Being a trained programmer myself, I might be able to offer a little help in solving the problem, although I don't know the source code and the IDE used.
There are some indications that an encoding around UTF-16 is used, which is related to special characters in other languages.
With UTF-8 (and e.g. ANSI) a normal character consists of 1 byte, but with UTF-16 it consists of 2 bytes. An emoji, or other symbol characters, consist of 4 bytes, i.e. twice as many bytes.

The line break is calculated based on the number of bytes (half for UTF-16), whereby the maximum number of characters for the window should have a fixed value. If the character string is longer up to the next regular line break, the separator (space) of a word is searched backwards, starting from the maximum displayable length, and this is replaced with a line break. However, the twice as large emojis are obviously not calculated correctly and the counter is probably not reset after a regular line break.

In my opinion, the easiest way to fix the problem would be to split the character string (i.e. the complete message) into an array at the beginning, then process each line of the array and reassemble the result in a new string.
Of course, this will not solve all problems (e.g. if an emoji is followed by a long text), but at least it will no longer affect subsequent lines.

Another possible cause of the error (as far as this is Windows-specific) could be the fact that Windows uses CR+LF, while Mac only uses CR and Unix/Linux only uses LF (HTML uses \n in strings, or <br> as Tag) for newline control characters. But it would be speculative to say anything reliable without source code.

These changes shouldn't really take a lot of time for an experienced programmer, depending on the IDE used.

Last edited:

Kempo

Merchant
Another possible cause of the error (as far as this is Windows-specific) could be the fact that Windows uses CR+LF, while Mac only uses CR and Unix/Linux only uses LF (HTML uses \n in strings, or <br> as Tag) for newline control characters. But it would be speculative to say anything reliable without source code.
There is another bug within the message center when editing messages on mobile (Android; don't know for iOS) which were written on PC. Same for editing guild descriptions. In the editing text field the line breaks will not be shown even though they exist and will be shown in the message itself.

This had been fixed before and probably was exactly that. But this also has been reported many months ago in the German forums and it's still not fixed...

Another small addendum: if you insert a long link, for example, that is longer than the characters that can be displayed, then no letter will be "swallowed". This verifies that this problem is directly related to the function, because an automatic break takes place on the part of the browser and fits the area.