• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Why Innogames hates futuristic designs for event buildings?

Dessire

Regent
how difficult is create a building which changes it's design after X numbers of ages as the old tavern? :/ why players in futuristic cities can't have that? :/ why all designs should represent old ages?

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Twice as difficult to make a building with 2 looks as a building with 1 ;)

And futuristic designs in old ages look more out of place than old designs in futuristic ages (it's retro!)

ArklurBeta

Baronet
As xivarmy said, it would be a total mess and a ton of work if Inno made event buildings (and all of their levels!!) separately for each age. I understand where this is coming from, now you can barely tell a city is in what age (since many just look the same, at best the size of the city can somewhat suggest the age), almost only the Town Hall (+roads?) tells you the age. Would be nice, yes, but "let it go".

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
You're right, Inno shouldn't make buildings that change with age, but why systematically have buildings that never reach a visual of the Industrial era and above?

angelgail

Baronet
i wanted a splash of paint on the hma church but never could get the request right im saab in O world still have it no changing it from what it is just a paint job

UBERhelp1

Viceroy
Simply put, an older style of building can fit in nearly any city, while a more futuristic design only fits in more futuristic cities.

Also, as per why it's unreasonable to do design changes, each design isn't just an extra image, it's also potential extra modelling (I believe most buildings are modelled in 3D first; units are at least for sure) and then texturing them and finally rendering brand new images and animations. And to avoid player confusion, you'd have to make the image of the upgrades change with each iteration so that it doesn't look like you're trying to use an older style upgrade on a newer style building. It adds a lot of extra work that is greatly simplified with just leaving it as-is.

Dessire

Regent
Simply put, an older style of building can fit in nearly any city, while a more futuristic design only fits in more futuristic cities.

Also, as per why it's unreasonable to do design changes, each design isn't just an extra image, it's also potential extra modelling (I believe most buildings are modelled in 3D first; units are at least for sure) and then texturing them and finally rendering brand new images and animations. And to avoid player confusion, you'd have to make the image of the upgrades change with each iteration so that it doesn't look like you're trying to use an older style upgrade on a newer style building. It adds a lot of extra work that is greatly simplified with just leaving it as-is.
is 2d art, that is the reason why buildings can't change it's orientation

UBERhelp1

Viceroy
is 2d art, that is the reason why buildings can't change it's orientation
I don't think so. It would be much easier to render them 2d from a 3d model (especially for moving parts - think old Dynamic Tower, Gentiana Mill, Orrery), but would be pretty expensive to run the game with 3d assets. The units are for sure modelled in 3d and rendered 2d, at least the early ones were outsourced from another company and they have a video showing them.

Last edited:

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
I don't think so. It would be much easier to render them 2d from a 3d model (especially for moving parts - think old Dynamic Tower, Gentiana Mill, Orrery), but would be pretty expensive to run the game with 3d assets. The units are for sure modelled in 3d and rendered 2d, at least the early ones were outsourced from another company and they have a video showing them.
You are right. There is even an old InnoTV episode showing it. I think it was for the future era. Maybe you can find it on YouTube :)

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
While the futuristic buildings don't fit well in older ages argument worked years ago, it has aged like milk. Winter event buildings aren't exactly historical. I might be biased but I get progressive era vibes from the winter event style. Particularly the last winter event's grand prize. It's funny how a "modern-ish" factory looks in an Iron Age city. Among the likes of a boat house from pirates, who seem to be lost from the future (colonial age -> Iron Age) and decided to setting up camp.
An futuristic building wouldn't appear that out of place anymore. Most event cities look like cities made from a huge time slide or some time travelers gone wild. Anyways I think the real main reason is that making alternative skins is just too expensive. Besides Inno having already streamlined event production by giving each event a designated theme and fixed age theme.
That been said. Hypothetically Inno could change it all around. By instead of making skins for 8-12 levels of a grand price, "just" 7 alternating skins for different age groups: 1 (BA, IA), 2 (EMA, HMA, LMA, CA) 4 (IA, PE) 5 (ME, PME, CE), 6 (TE, FE, AF, OF) 7 (SA:M+). This way they could saving time for up to 5 different skins of the same building. Though I don't think Inno dares to taking their chances with a community already fedup by fragments for cutting back on development costs and improving the distinguishing between various ages. Personally I would love to see event buildings' skins changing through ages but unfortunately I don't think it'll ever come.

So, I don't think we'll getting alternative skins depending on age for practical mentioned reasons. Also not a futuristic looking event building as designated themes are already established towards events. Though a new event has the greatest odds for such. Unlikely but not impossible.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
While the futuristic buildings don't fit well in older ages argument worked years ago, it has aged like milk. Winter event buildings aren't exactly historical. I might be biased but I get progressive era vibes from the winter event style. Particularly the last winter event's grand prize. It's funny how a "modern-ish" factory looks in an Iron Age city. Among the likes of a boat house from pirates, who seem to be lost from the future (colonial age -> Iron Age) and decided to setting up camp.
An futuristic building wouldn't appear that out of place anymore. Most event cities look like cities made from a huge time slide or some time travelers gone wild. Anyways I think the real main reason is that making alternative skins is just too expensive. Besides Inno having already streamlined event production by giving each event a designated theme and fixed age theme.
That been said. Hypothetically Inno could change it all around. By instead of making skins for 8-12 levels of a grand price, "just" 7 alternating skins for different age groups: 1 (BA, IA), 2 (EMA, HMA, LMA, CA) 4 (IA, PE) 5 (ME, PME, CE), 6 (TE, FE, AF, OF) 7 (SA:M+). This way they could saving time for up to 5 different skins of the same building. Though I don't think Inno dares to taking their chances with a community already fedup by fragments for cutting back on development costs and improving the distinguishing between various ages. Personally I would love to see event buildings' skins changing through ages but unfortunately I don't think it'll ever come.

So, I don't think we'll getting alternative skins depending on age for practical mentioned reasons. Also not a futuristic looking event building as designated themes are already established towards events. Though a new event has the greatest odds for such. Unlikely but not impossible.
It's true that they've allowed slightly higher age appearance buildings more recently. The chocolate factory is indeed at least industrial+ (smoke-stack + revolving door). And possibly as recent as "Modern" if you account for color schemes

Part of this can be explained because the game's been sped up a lot. You're often getting 100 or so FP a day right from the start if you care. As opposed to 24 a day back in the day pretty much being the limit until you got yourself some SoKs, which accumulated slowly. So the age most people get to "quickly" is higher.

But they still like to go to windmills + farms + old-style houses and shops that can look somewhat at home in any era often.

Last edited:

zookeepers

Marquis
Well, perhaps. But, I still think that it should be quite OK to have a oopart kind of look, like a giant rock floating in the air by an antigravity unit.

mcbluefire

Baronet
@Op (@Dessire ), methinks "hate" is a bit of an overpowering word. Perhaps the title should be more like "Why Innogames rejects/excludes futuristic designs for event buildings?"

I sincerely doubt their art department hates event buildings with futuristic designs. That department provides 99.9% of the love for this game.

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
You're right, Inno shouldn't make buildings that change with age, but why systematically have buildings that never reach a visual of the Industrial era and above?
God is great, Inno heard me!
The special building for the anniversary event will not date from the 19th century and earlier.