• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Spoiler What comes after Asteroid Belt?

Tahrakaiitoo

Marquis
I hope Venus will be the last of the 'space colonies'. I don't enjoy the gimmick at all.
Especially the fact that it will go away with the next age is really offputting.

If they want to do a new map, why not go into the core of the earth?! Give us an 'identical' map, but below the surface. That way, we can start building an alternative 2nd city. It could look really neat. And we wouldn't have to wipe that map every time a new age arrives.

It would also give Inno plenty of new expansion area options that can last them for years.

As for a connection between the 2 maps, maybe just a simple 'tube' or 'elevator' type building that's not too big. Click it and you go to the 'below map', where an identical building is located. Click that and you travel back to the surface (or it could just be a new little building off to the side - maybe even replacing the space shuttle since you won't need that anymore at the new ages anyway).

t s c h u s s

Merchant
If they want to do a new map, why not go into the core of the earth?! Give us an 'identical' map, but below the surface. That way, we can start building an alternative 2nd city. It could look really neat. And we wouldn't have to wipe that map every time a new age arrives.

You could... but why would you do that? You have huge temperatures and pressure 'in the core' (I believe you didn't mean really the core, but more like somewhere down the surface), and there's nothing you can mine that you couldn't do it while in the surface.

For me, I'd like Inno to introduce some new mechanics when we get (IF we get) to Jupiter and Saturn (multiple colonies regarding their main moons. I don't mean like 4 colonies at the same time, but yeah... something more diversified. Haven't really thought about it. Maybe multiple age parts where each part revolves around one moon? For example, Space Age Jupiter Part 1 - Io, Space Age Jupiter Part 2 - Europa, etc). IF they really want to adapt the 'new city' concept, FOR ME, the more logic step is when we simply leave the Solar System. As in, for good, and not like we currently have where we are exploring and mining other worlds (Mars, AB and Venus so far). Something happened to Earth (became too toxic) for example, and Humanity has the technology to travel big distances so they can move to another solar system (the closest one is Proxima Centauri, where it has at least one planet in the habitable zone).

Last edited:

Tahrakaiitoo

Marquis
You could... but why would you do that? You have huge temperatures and pressure 'in the core' (I believe you didn't mean really the core, but more like somewhere down the surface), and there's nothing you can mine that you couldn't do it while in the surface.

Well, I meant it more in a 'fantastical way', such as in Jules Verne's "A Journey To The Center Of The Earth".
With a fictional version of a hollow core.

I mean... I just don't think space colonies are very interesting. And after you've had a couple; you kind of have seen it all.

t s c h u s s

Merchant
Well, I meant it more in a 'fantastical way', such as in Jules Verne's "A Journey To The Center Of The Earth".
With a fictional version of a hollow core.

I mean... I just don't think space colonies are very interesting. And after you've had a couple; you kind of have seen it all.

In my opinion, the space theme seems the most logical step to follow in this game. I know that we are talking about future ages where 'fantasy' has to join the conversation, but Jules Verne is a bit 'too much fantasy', whereas space exploration is already happening today so it's not that far from reality.

I agree with you regarding space colonies - they're not fun at all. At least, from what I saw so far (I'm only in VF). However, there is already a thread trying to collect feedback from players in order to improve the colonies. If you have any suggestion, please go there and present it :)

Regarding, once again, new cities: it doesn't make sense for Humanity (in the game) to have new cities in current ages. Like, we're exploring Mars and the Asteroid Belt, but we still live in planet Earth, so it's normal (for me) that we maintain our main city. A good idea for new cities would be, like I said in my previous post, to have something that makes Earth unhabitable. So, players after that age would have a new city (with all the buildings they already have, of course) in a new planet (I suggested the Proxima Centauri system). Then, maybe you could have more ages non-related with space, but instead about exploring the new planet where you're in (for example, some age related with its biology or geology).

About upcoming new space ages (Jupiter and Saturn, for example), my suggestion would be for multiple parts, each one designed around a moon, with one difference: it would be way more proactive compared to what we have now with Mars and AB. (I still have to invest some time into this but I'll come up with a conclusion soon)

t s c h u s s

Merchant
I came up with an idea and since it's kind of 'polemic', I'd like to know what you think about this. Again, this is focused on Space Age Jupiter and Space Age Saturn (if they ever happen):

Space Age Jupiter: instead of having different parts for each moon (4 moons total: Io, Europa, Calisto and Ganimedes), I thought about something diferent and which is already implemented in the game: questline for each outpost. So let's dive into this.

First outpost is Io, and you unlock it when you research the first tech in Space Age Jupiter. In this colony, you'd have some sort of mix between CS (cultural settlements) quests and main quests. You'd have something along the lines of the main quests regarding an hypothetical story based on Io, and you'd have a system similar to the one we have in CS: when you finish a certain amount of quests, you unlock new features/rewards. In this case, all these features would be new and better buildings for your colony (so, you would not unlock them in the research tree as we do right now). Once you're done with all the quests, you move up to the next colony (for example, Europa) leaving the Io colony behind. In here you would do the same as in Io, and so on for the remaining 2 colonies. Some things I'd like to point out:

• the only buildings for your colonies that you'd unlock are the goods buildings. You can build them whenever you research them in the tech tree (TT), and they would all be available for all colonies. The cost system we already have implemented in SAM and SAAB would remain the same.
  • one thing I could not decide is: what would you do when you finish all questlines? You're finished with 4 colonies quests, so what now? Do you have to stay in the last colony? My suggestion: you're allowed to change colony whenever you want. Basically, like what we have in CS. When you're done with all quests (all the 15 times), you can repeat them to earn 50 FPs. I'd suggest something along these lines (maybe change the reward, since that 50 FPs in those ages are nothing). The only problem I see with this is the goods production. When you're done with a colony, you have a stable production of goods in there, while when you're starting one colony you barely produce them (due to the costs). I have no idea on how to solve this, so please post your opinions!
The continental map would be either on Jupiter atmosphere, or no the moons (like, several provinces in each moon).

All of this applies to Space Age Saturn.

does anyone watch The Expanse? maybe we'll go their direction...

not to give too many spoilers about that great series (it's on Amazon Prime btw for those who love *good* science fiction series!):
- something 'alien' in the belt (right, where we are right now) is found,
- and crashes on venus (right, our next destination)
- and forms some sort of alien wormhole device that gives access to a hub 'space' with gates to other star systems in our galaxy
- meanwhile things develop on jupiter's moons (e.g. ganymede) as well, and mars is revisited (perhaps we should get some extra activity on mars here too)
- planets in other solar systems get visited, alien structures are found (perhaps useful as a theme here as well), and probably aliens later as well

i wouldn't be surprised if at least some themes from that series are used as inspiration by the devs here :) and i wouldn't mind them either ^^

Tahrakaiitoo

Marquis
What about an apocalyptic event (or time travelling tech) that sends us 'back' to simpler times; having to rebuild a civilization and such... It could introduce 'high end' but still 'classic feeling' ages (focusing a bit on classic ages/civilizations that were not yet done in FoE, but then with a new twist/theme included).

If you go with the time travel idea; how about if we need to travel back in time, to classic periods, to 'make sure the timelines are correct' or it will lead to a world ending event in the future. This will give us a reason to '(re)build' classic empires again, but from a futuristic point of view. There could be several new 'time travel' ages with this kind of idea.

I really don't want this game to turn into a (space based) science fiction game. This is a game about earth's many ages, empires and civilizations.

Last edited:
What about an apocalyptic event (or time travelling tech) that sends us 'back' to simpler times; having to rebuild a civilization and such... It could introduce 'high end' but still 'classic feeling' ages (focusing a bit on classic ages/civilizations that were not yet done in FoE, but then with a new twist/theme included).
hell no.
If you go with the time travel idea; how about if we need to travel back in time, to classic periods, to 'make sure the timelines are correct' or it will lead to a world ending event in the future. This will give us a reason to '(re)build' classic empires again, but from a futuristic point of view. There could be several new 'time travel' ages with this kind of idea.
why end the world? so we can get a bonus for Forge of Empires II when inno starts working on that?
I really don't want this game to turn into a (space based) science fiction game. This is a game about earth's many ages, empires and civilizations.
it's where humanity is headed (eventually), so bear with it. inno should work towards a (perpetual) endgame situation though, to prevent having to 'invent' new places to go and new stuff to visit, because eventually space runs out as well ;)

also i wouldn't mind if inno revisits gvg and adds an eternally extending map (in all directions) where guilds can duke it out against one another (with landing only at the edges, and inward sectors gaining more value over time), either on earth, mars or heck even in space would be nice for that :p i'm not sure if the servers can handle really huge maps though ;P

Dessire

Regent
please read this

eras/ages we don't have yet:
-cyberpunk era. virtual future and tomorrow era can't be considered as cyberpunk era.
-sky future: buildings floating abovec clouds.
-desert future: we have oceanic future, a future where most of energy, technology and resources comes from the ocean. a desert future could be used to get energy, technology and resources from very hot places to live in the space (like venus . . . . )
-post apocalyptic era: where the technology of the previous age/era provokes a big fail in almost everything and buildings of that new age are a combination of the tehcnology of the previous age + rustic designs.

things we could eventually have:

-get resources and energy from supernovas, from the sun thanks to dyson spheres, from black holes.
-meet alien civilizations. 2 or more and you can pick one to get buildings according to the design of the selected civilization.
-time travel using whorm holes.
-control of nature to get X resources or modify the planet or the earth whenever we want. a civilization type one have enough technology and energy to control the weather whenever its needed. go to wikipedia and read "types of civilizations" we are not even a civilization type 1 yet. we are something like 0.8.

Tahrakaiitoo

Marquis

Good argumentation. :rolleyes:

why end the world? so we can get a bonus for Forge of Empires II when inno starts working on that?

That's just a 'lore' reason why we'd be undertaking such a feat. Of course there wouldn't be a real 'end of the world'. It's just a way for NPCs to tell us: "Oh no, the timeline has to be put right. We're going to travel back to <insert empire name> and help them out a bit."

it's where humanity is headed (eventually), so bear with it.

I have. It will be 3 ages long pretty soon. That's a long time to 'bear with it'. It's boring. It all very much feels the same; space is space.
Besides, imo the outpost idea is just not working well.

Hence my idea that you just shot down with a 'hell no'. Very useful feedback. Not.

I'll make a post in the ideas section though, probably better.

t s c h u s s

Merchant
Space is space and Earth is Earth, I don't understand the point. In space you have N new opportunities to dig in: new planets, new stars, new galaxies, new mechanics for the game. In Earth, either you go deep in the fantasy world, or you don't have much more to do there.

t s c h u s s

Merchant
-cyberpunk era. virtual future and tomorrow era can't be considered as cyberpunk era.

For me, TE = Cyberpunk era. It's almost the same.

-sky future: buildings floating abovec clouds.

I think we'll have this in Venus, according to the TT picture.

-desert future: we have oceanic future, a future where most of energy, technology and resources comes from the ocean. a desert future could be used to get energy, technology and resources from very hot places to live in the space (like venus . . . . )

You can produce energy in the desert, but it's not really rich in resources. And regarding hot places, deserts (let's say, 70ºC) is still far away from the temperatures in Venus (460ºC). It's too late to make this possible on Earth, but maybe some new planet? Although I find it unlikely.

-post apocalyptic era: where the technology of the previous age/era provokes a big fail in almost everything and buildings of that new age are a combination of the tehcnology of the previous age + rustic designs.

Don't see this happening at all.

things we could eventually have:

-get resources and energy from supernovas, from the sun thanks to dyson spheres, from black holes.
-meet alien civilizations. 2 or more and you can pick one to get buildings according to the design of the selected civilization.
-time travel using whorm holes.
-control of nature to get X resources or modify the planet or the earth whenever we want. a civilization type one have enough technology and energy to control the weather whenever its needed. go to wikipedia and read "types of civilizations" we are not even a civilization type 1 yet. we are something like 0.8.

When we start implementing stuff like this, we're close to the end of the game. After this, there's almost nothing else to do, so I dare to say it'll take a lot of years for this.

@Tahrakaiitoo : the whole problem with 'time-travel' and 'apocalypse' is also about what will happen with the current cities; 'going back' or 'destroying the world' inevitably also means that your city will be destroyed as well, hence you lose all your GB's, extensions, buildings, resources (they are stored in your cityhall obviously), effectively resetting you to zero. Hence, my 'hell no' :) If you really want a reset, just delete your city and start over, or wait for a Forge of Empires II if inno decides that is the next step :p

And imho, I don't see much more happen in the solar system's 'Space Age' after Venus:
- outer planets/moons (Jupiter's moons, Saturn's moons)
- outer planets (Neptune and Pluto)
- mercury and the sun, taking another huge leap towards a dyson-sphere project.... but what about earth? it will die if it does not receive any light from our sun anymore :p

and then?
- interstellar travel, which can be either or both: using a 'wormhole' found at the outer fringes of the solar system, or a revolutionary FTL drive
- aliens?
- startrek? mass effect? battlestar galactica??? :p

maybe Neptune and Pluto should be the last two subjects, and then we arrive in an endgame stage where no proper new ages are imaginable anymore without going the 'startrek'-ish way :p and tbh, i would prefer rather a proper ending instead, and then maybe some new Forge of Empires game focussed solely on the early ages (Stone Age or even earler, and up to Colonial Age) and more gearted towards combat between tribes/cities formed by guilds, because those are the most fun :)

Tahrakaiitoo

Marquis
the whole problem with 'time-travel' and 'apocalypse' is also about what will happen with the current cities; 'going back' or 'destroying the world' inevitably also means that your city will be destroyed as well, hence you lose all your GB's, extensions, buildings, resources (they are stored in your cityhall obviously), effectively resetting you to zero. Hence, my 'hell no' :) If you really want a reset, just delete your city and start over, or wait for a Forge of Empires II if inno decides that is the next step :p

I see, well that was not my intention; of course your main city should stay and be as it is.

And imho, I don't see much more happen in the solar system's 'Space Age' after Venus:
- outer planets/moons (Jupiter's moons, Saturn's moons)
- outer planets (Neptune and Pluto)
- mercury and the sun, taking another huge leap towards a dyson-sphere project.... but what about earth? it will die if it does not receive any light from our sun anymore :p

and then?
- interstellar travel, which can be either or both: using a 'wormhole' found at the outer fringes of the solar system, or a revolutionary FTL drive
- aliens?
- startrek? mass effect? battlestar galactica??? :p

Well, this is where my remark come in; I don't want this game to turn into a science fiction game. A little bit of it, sure, but not the main focus. I think the main focus of FoE should be the different empires and civilizations we, on earth, have had.

Well, this is where my remark come in; I don't want this game to turn into a science fiction game. A little bit of it, sure, but not the main focus. I think the main focus of FoE should be the different empires and civilizations we, on earth, have had.

that is what the settlements are for. perhaps a longer-term one or one with a permanent settlement of sorts could be added eventually... but at some point we should accept that we reached the final end of the tech tree and no more new ages are wanted.

I'm not so sure Inno themselves are willing to 'accept' that.

maybe not yet, but their motivation is money. and if a new game (or version of it) nets them more than prolonging an existing one, then the choice is made quite fast :p

and ehm, nobody said the game ends completely if there are no more new ages. they'll just stuff us up with even more and longer events then :p