• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Vikings Settlement - Mead Hall

qaccy

Emperor
This is something that's been nagging at me for a while. What is the point of the Mead Hall? Obviously it produces copper and is arguably the best building for it. However, it's also the last advancement unlocked in the Embassy which means that once it's able to be built, the copper it produces is no longer needed. Is there any way that something could be changed in order to promote the usage of this building? Perhaps more quests could be added that don't count for the main completion of the settlement? Think of them like the recurring quests we have for our main city. Just...something that allows the Mead Hall to actually serve a practical purpose would be nice in my opinion.

Beta-OD

Squire
I wondered that also. The building has never been in my settlement for longer that it took me to place and delete it. Seems like wasted art/time to have even create it based on how it is used.

DeletedUser8707

I finished Yggdrasil (got up to level 9) on my main world. I never had the Mead Hall built for more than a couple seconds.

I built it to fulfill the quest requirement, then immediately deleted it and last rounds I used only totems and Hut´s to save time, because 8H time wasting lotsa resources... (copy paste from kingJase24) ;-)

qaccy

Emperor
I finished Yggdrasil (got up to level 9) on my main world. I never had the Mead Hall built for more than a couple seconds. I built it to fulfill the quest requirement, then immediately deleted it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm getting at. The Mead Hall's only real purpose is as a build requirement for one of the quests. There's no reason at all to produce copper with one since you have no need for goods once you're able to build them. It seems like the advancement progression doesn't really match up too well with how they eventually decided to design the quest and reward system for the settlement as a whole.

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
It allows the settlement to produce copper after independence.
You do not see it any more because you left the settlement but it is the goal: to make it independent.

DeletedUser9982

You have to understand and look at the big picture
You were "hired" by the Vikings to "Organize" their settlement

You dont use that building, because by the time you put it on the ground, you have done your job for the Vikings :)

Simple as that :)

No need to change anything
Change the way you, players, look at it and you will get the idea :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9030

good evening. is there anyone here who has finished their vikings? when we finish the 15th settlement that gives 50 pts, if we want to play the vikings again from the beginning of the first settlement to make sure you never get a new igrasil or the reward stays permanently at the 50 points of settlements and finish. ... Pound on English but it's from translate.

DeletedUser9982

good evening. is there anyone here who has finished their vikings? when we finish the 15th settlement that gives 50 pts, if we want to play the vikings again from the beginning of the first settlement to make sure you never get a new igrasil or the reward stays permanently at the 50 points of settlements and finish. ... Pound on English but it's from translate.
After you finish the 15 settlements, i will get 50fps every time you fi ish it after that
You even have the infinity symbol below the 50FPs :)

Feanor II

Baronet
You do not see it any more because you left the settlement but it is the goal: to make it independent.

After independence, it ceases to exist. Why do I care what a bunch of digital vikings that no longer exist after I hit "finish" do?

I often left settlements in complete disarray with no buildings connected because I had to put runestones and clan totems where all the roads were in order to get to 1200 diplomacy. Doesn't bother me any.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Like how? Where does it produce coins? In non-existent village? Because ending settlement means you blow the village outa space. I never got that part with "independence", like I don't get 133% as new 100%.

qaccy

Emperor

You have to understand and look at the big picture
You were "hired" by the Vikings to "Organize" their settlement

You dont use that building, because by the time you put it on the ground, you have done your job for the Vikings :)

Simple as that :)

No need to change anything
Change the way you, players, look at it and you will get the idea :)

I have no problem with the building itself, just its supposed purpose. Why does it produce copper? What is it used for? As far as gameplay goes, it doesn't make any sense. A well-designed building should be both useful to players and make sense within the context it's placed in. The Mead Hall really only fulfills half of that.

DeletedUser9982

I have no problem with the building itself, just its supposed purpose. Why does it produce copper? What is it used for? As far as gameplay goes, it doesn't make any sense. A well-designed building should be both useful to players and make sense within the context it's placed in. The Mead Hall really only fulfills half of that.
But i already gave you the answer..
You were there to get the vilage going, to organize things for the Vikings
Pretend that your job is done by the time you put that building on the ground and that copper is going to be used by the Vikings..
Dont make a big thing about it, its just a settlement, to settle things and put things in shape/order :)

Feanor II

Baronet
But i already gave you the answer..
You were there to get the vilage going, to organize things for the Vikings
Pretend that your job is done by the time you put that building on the ground and that copper is going to be used by the Vikings..
Dont make a big thing about it, its just a settlement, to settle things and put things in shape/order :)

The point is that there's no reason to have it within the context of the game. The concept of having it for the Vikings after you leave is a cute concept, but it has no effect whatsoever on gameplay. Once you finish the settlement it ceases to exist. Since the Mead Hall does not actually help you fulfill the questline (if it does, you're doing it wrong) there's no in-game reason to build it. I'm just trying to trip the triggers in the software that say I get my reward. I don't care what a bunch of non-existent digital vikings do after I leave.

DeletedUser9982

The point is that there's no reason to have it within the context of the game. The concept of having it for the Vikings after you leave is a cute concept, but it has no effect whatsoever on gameplay. Once you finish the settlement it ceases to exist. Since the Mead Hall does not actually help you fulfill the questline (if it does, you're doing it wrong) there's no in-game reason to build it. I'm just trying to trip the triggers in the software that say I get my reward. I don't care what a bunch of non-existent digital vikings do after I leave.
Well.. I think you're not really looking at it the way you are supose to
Nevermind..

DeletedUser

Well.. I think you're not really looking at it the way you are supose to
Nevermind..
He is looking at this the only way it could be looked at. You can imagine yourself that there is existing Viking village after you finish settlement - but that is only you imagination, not reality (not even virtual one, I mean). Personally, I believe there are flying unicorns all over my FoE city, I just don't get to see them, because they fly so high...

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
the viking settlement tech system as a whole is a bit of a dud. Mead hall is perhaps the worst offender, but it's not like I build Old Willows, or Clan houses ever either. And only very rarely marketplaces.

IF they wanted to fix it (and that's a big if), there's a few things they could do
- The quest line could not be finished pretty much immediately after the last tech. The final quest instead could be 'have 200 of each viking good'. This would mean almost half of the settlement's needed goods could be made after all buildings are available. It's probably too late for that though as significant changes increasing the length of viking settlement runs would meet with much outrage from a population that largely doesn't like the feature to begin with. Some of it could be offset by less goods needed to unlock the buildings but it's not a simple balancing act and I think the settlement would ultimately need to be at least a little longer.
- The research order could not be forced. If I decided I wanted a mead hall I could choose *not* to spend goods on the earlier techs and get it early enough that it could make an impact. All techs would still ultimately need to be researched, but one could choose which ones they leave for last and never use. I'm not sure this alone would really cause people to use mead halls as you'd still need to have unlocked wool and have spent a significant number of goods before you ever get it. The potential would be there at least though.
- Reduce 8 hour construction times to 4 hours or less. You lose effectively *all* of your production in rebuilds for the duration - making up 8 hours of production over a couple remaining days would require a *massive* increase in efficiency. As such, they shouldn't take 8 hours! Even 1 hour rebuilds are reasonably costly at times (can I check back promptly after that hour to restart the buildings?) and will still make people have to make the decision as to whether it's worth it.