• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion The parade of useless items and buildings FOE.

Owl II

Emperor
FOE is an old game. A very old game. A huge number of items and buildings have accumulated here over the 10 years of the game's existence. Some of these items are obsolete, others have not been useful since creation. Developers have always argued that this is a feature of FOE: you need to choose which building from lots of available should be placed in a limited space. But now it's more like digging in a landfill in search of something useful. Let's make a little entertainment out of this fact for ourselves (in waiting of camps nerf:p). Offer any items and buildings. Other players will put likes if they agree that the specified item is garbage that is not needed in the game. We will count the likes and make a top ten of useless things and buildings, say, in a month. Prerequisite: each message must contain only one item or building. And you can explain why you think it is useless

Let me start :)

Owl II

Emperor
Victory Tower.

Victory Towers give a ridiculous amount of medals once a week. Perhaps these buildings had the right to exist when there were no GB of high ages and high levels in the game, there were no Arcs, there were no other special buildings that brought medals. But now it is the most useless building. It's very funny and frustrating when you win the prize Victory Tower.

Owl II

Emperor
Сoin Rush.

The description of the item says that it does not apply to special buildings and GB. That is, it does not act on almost anything, except... residential buildings from the construction menu. Who builds residential buildings from the construction menu, if special buildings give the population in excess, as well as coins? It is sad that this item was created not so long ago and is actively used by developers as a reward everywher

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Сoin Rush.

The description of the item says that it does not apply to special buildings and GB. That is, it does not act on almost anything, except... residential buildings from the construction menu. Who builds residential buildings from the construction menu, if special buildings give the population in excess, as well as coins? It is sad that this item was created not so long ago and is actively used by developers as a reward everywher

One small use for this is it also works on coin productions from special production buildings (like sleigh builders), allowing you to use rushes to finish a quest with them on some settings you otherwise wouldn't.

Not saying they're great, but I find them more useful than certain items (if you care a lot about rushes you probably use pure-supply producers for events).

Defense Boost Bottle

I wanted to call out watchfires and tactician towers but there are some people who actually like those, so they serve a purpose even if I find them a waste of existence. But as a boost item, I can't imagine anyone using these for anything but quick 2 hour exchanges in the antique dealer for quests or for building it up at the start of a world.

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
Defence buff

Only active for a few hours, does not really make any difference while under attack from a neighbour. Such a waste.

Graveyard (and upgraded versions)
When it was originally introduced it was a top happiness providing building. Nowadays happiness has become a worry of the past. Making this building and it's upgrades pure decorative.

Logain Sedai

Baronet
Graveyard (and upgraded versions)
When it was originally introduced it was a top happiness providing building. Nowadays happiness has become a worry of the past. Making this building and it's upgrades pure decorative.
I use it for quests asking to gain happiness (and storing it again once the quest is completed).

Pass Go

Squire
Cider Mill upgrades

upgraded cider mills are too big and become plunder bait. stay with original cider mill and one up them for each age... nice and small current age production building

Owl II

Emperor
There are 340 roads in my city. One quest will require 100+ pieces (for SAJM event quests). Each event contains 2 (or more) quests for happiness. You will replace almost all roads in the first event after the change of age. Building a decor takes much less time (and about the same amount of resources)

Owl II

Emperor
Related: I want to mention the special units (drummers and color guards). These units are not tied to the age, as is known. They can be used at any age. But their parameters and skills are ridiculous in older ages. And they do not benefit the player in younger ages due to hyper-attack can currently compensate for any unit skills, and auto-battle makes them completely useless.
Separately, it is worth mentioning the champions. Champions are ridiculously weak in older ages, but give the most points for killing, and this distorts the gameplay. Players artificially inflate their rating with the help of champs

Separately, it is worth mentioning the champions. Champions are ridiculously weak in older ages, but give the most points for killing, and this distorts the gameplay. Players artificially inflate their rating with the help of champs
Since this option is available to all players nothing is "distorted".

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
Champions are ridiculously weak in older ages, but give the most points for killing, and this distorts the gameplay. Players artificially inflate their rating with the help of champs
Actually champions are decently strong in some more advanced ages. Progressive era is a little bit of a doubtful scenario for me. Though industrial age some players making use from it. In AF specifically the strongest champion exist. Combing a decent movement, fairly strong stats and even stronger on the common plain tiles, it is a strong unit. Resilient and hitting hard. It can be used strategically by using only 1 to activate its ability to become stronger or in a group of 8. Strengthen the others when any is lost. While not as resilient as the battle fortress, it remains a strong unit in AF. While camping in OF the champions find sometimes use. In VF I think they're also at times a decent choice. Space ages however generally don't offer good champions as the heavies are nerfed into oblivion since Space age: copy paste1, also known as SAAB. In those ages the champions are pretty useless for combat indeed.