• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Rejected Suggestion - Rename 'He chose wisely' achievement to 'You chose wisely'

• Thread starter DeletedUser8277
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser8277

I know there was some hoopla over other names (in the English version) given to certain achievements and those were changed. There have also been a lot of female players mentioning lack of strong female avatar varieties and questlines. Yet I was pretty surprised today when I won an award called 'He chose wisely'.

I am not a male and there needs not be any gender whatsoever in the achievement names. I understand they were trying to go for an Indiana Jones theme but even then Indiana Jones is not winning the award, the player is so there is no need to not be inclusive of female players. Also the actual quote is 'He chose poorly, you chose wisely'. So the non gender 'You' was replaced with 'He' for no reason.

No it's certainly not the biggest deal but still feels for a game that hasn't done much to win favor with it's female players, it's yet another hint that female players are just an afterthought for virtually no reason. In this case actually, we didn't even get the afterthought, a gender neutral term was actually replaced with a male exclusive one.

I just don't see any need for it. I also can't understand how no one making the game realized calling all players 'He' might not be the best idea, it's not the sort of thing you'd expect to need to point out to a successful company in 2017.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.

DeletedUser8489

Oh for It's sake!

It is a quotation from the movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" . They are on a quest for the Holy Grail. The bad guy picked the wrong cup as the Holy Grail, drank from it, and died. The Crusader said "He chose poorly" Indy then picks a cup as the Grail, drinks from it, and lives. The Crusader then says to the rest of the people in the room,

"He chose wisely."

No sexism intended ... it is just a quotation and would loose all meaning if changed.
But for Pete's sake! Oh! I meant Patricia's sake. Or It's sake ...

Have you calmed down now?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8277

https://mygeekwisdom.com/2013/06/15/he-chose-poorly-and-you-have-chosen-wisely/

The quote from the movie, as I said in the first post is. "YOU chose wisely"
No sexism intended ... it is just a quotation and would loose all meaning if changed.

It was changed from YOU to HE so by your definition lost all meaning and there was no point to make it male exclusive. I am unable to watch the videos posted so I have to go with the my memory of the movie, the google searches and multiple websites stating the quote as 'You'.

Even if it was the quote the player is not 'Indiana Jones' they are the player, some male some female. Also this is not an Indiana Jones game why should all players know this random trivia enough to know why they are being called 'he'? There's 0 need for that.

DeletedUser7942

Nothing was changed because the achievement is not a quote, it's a statement of fact, he(Indiana Jones) chose wisely.

DeletedUser8489

I just re-watched the end of the movie. Actually the quote is "You have chosen wisely." I stand corrected. Of course I can't vouch for the fact that Indy was actually a "he". Might have been in drag ... ;)
I'm sure you have absolutely no objection to the use of the word "she"?
So let's take it a step further and require Inno to use the word "It" under all circumstances. That will make everybody happy ... hopefully.
Yeah, 'It' sounds good to me ... :):):)

Well that is it for me ... this thread is just dumb from the beginning. I won't be coming back for a debate on this whole topic. LOL I would be sure to lose ... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7942

I just re-watched the end of the movie. Actually the quote is "You have chosen wisely." I stand corrected. Of course I can't vouch for the fact that Indy was actually a "he". Might have been in drag ... ;)
I'm sure you have absolutely no objection to the use of the word "she"?
So let's take it a step further and require Inno to use the word "It" under all circumstances. That will make everybody happy ... hopefully.
Yeah, 'It' sounds good to me ... :):):)

Well that is it for me ... this thread is just dumb from the beginning. I won't be coming back for a debate on this whole topic. LOL I would be sure to lose ... :confused:
Cousin It finds this offensive.

upload_2017-10-6_18-58-41.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.