• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Rejected [Suggestion] Army maintenance and upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser7529

I know noone from devs ever notice this thread, but Ill write anyway.

Currently main unit production building is Alcatraz, providing much more troops than city full of barracks. However even without GvG its almost impossible to do any fighting without unattached units, making Alcatraz must-have GB for anyone wanting to do some fights (ie GE). Currently many players are sitting on thousands units, some on 10k+. Those units dont need any supplies and dont want payment - its a bit silly :)

My suggestions:
1) Give military buildings much higher role for producing troops. They should produce unattached units, and unlockable slots would allow to instantly train 2-3 units in same time. Ie tank factory on default has only 1 slot (instead of 2 now) and 2 more slots to unlock - 2nd for coins/supplies and 3rd for diamonds. That would make diamond-slots much more useful.
2) Implement maintenance - each unit will burn some coins and supplies every hour or day. In case treasury gets empty they get % chance that they will dismiss. This will force players to start managing resources, instead of just stockpiling everything. Also producing coins and supplies would become much more important - as having them would allow mantaining larger army.
3) Dismissing unit will give back part of coins and supplies needed to build them.
4) Upgrading units - this would give some extra strategic layer. There could be some 2-4 upgrade levels to every unit. Every upgrade would give some extra stats (x bonus to attack / defense / or maybe even movement or some special abilities). However upgrades would cost goods to perform, ie 5 of each goods for level 2 upgrade, 10 of each for lev 3 etc. Interface should allow upgrading multiple units at once of course. Costs should be high enough to make elite units very valuable. When used they would make battle much easier, but if they die replacement is costly. Healing upgraded units with diamonds should be possible but more expensive than regular units.
All-ages units cannot be upgraded, as there are no 'all-ages goods'. Champions are age-restricted and should be upgrade'able. Rogues would transform to regular versions always (elite tank + 7 rogues would make rogues to transform to unupgraded tanks). This would put them in better balance with age-specific units, without need of any artificial ai changes.

--- edit 2018-01-12 ---
With increased production of troops from military buildings player may end up with too many of them too fast. Training times could be adjusted and Alcatraz nerfed. But I dont like nerfing :)
So instead upgrading units could require 2 units from level below as well as goods. The best mans are chosen after hard training, some goods used to improve equipment and new improved unit is formed :). With 3 upgrade options for max upgrade in total 8 regular units would be needed and 35 of each goods (5+10+20).

Last edited by a moderator:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.

DeletedUser8061

I know noone from devs ever notice this thread, but Ill write anyway.

Currently main unit production building is Alcatraz, providing much more troops than city full of barracks. However even without GvG its almost impossible to do any fighting without unattached units, making Alcatraz must-have GB for anyone wanting to do some fights (ie GE). Currently many players are sitting on thousands units, some on 10k+. Those units dont need any supplies and dont want payment - its a bit silly :)

My suggestions:
1) Give military buildings much higher role for producing troops. They should produce unattached units, and unlockable slots would allow to instantly train 2-3 units in same time. Ie tank factory on default has only 1 slot (instead of 2 now) and 2 more slots to unlock - 2nd for coins/supplies and 3rd for diamonds. That would make diamond-slots much more useful.
2) Implement maintenance - each unit will burn some coins and supplies every hour or day. In case treasury gets empty they get % chance that they will dismiss. This will force players to start managing resources, instead of just stockpiling everything. Also producing coins and supplies would become much more important - as having them would allow mantaining larger army.
3) Dismissing unit will give back part of coins and supplies needed to build them.
4) Upgrading units - this would give some extra strategic layer. There could be some 2-4 upgrade levels to every unit. Every upgrade would give some extra stats (x bonus to attack / defense / or maybe even movement or some special abilities). However upgrades would cost goods to perform, ie 5 of each goods for level 2 upgrade, 10 of each for lev 3 etc. Interface should allow upgrading multiple units at once of course. Costs should be high enough to make elite units very valuable. When used they would make battle much easier, but if they die replacement is costly. Healing upgraded units with diamonds should be possible but more expensive than regular units.
All-ages units cannot be upgraded, as there are no 'all-ages goods'. Champions are age-restricted and should be upgrade'able. Rogues would transform to regular versions always (elite tank + 7 rogues would make rogues to transform to unupgraded tanks). This would put them in better balance with age-specific units, without need of any artificial ai changes.
Unattached units are more like mercenaries, so you can't pay for them. You can only pay when you use them in a battle. On the other hand, attached units are the ones that "get salaries" from the city, so it's them who should cost money to maintain ;)

DeletedUser7529

Unattached units are more like mercenaries, so you can't pay for them

Well its first game when mercenaries fight for glory and not for money :)
You dont pay them to recruit, they dont want any daily / monthly wages. I would call them slaves not mercenaries :D

I dont see any story reason why ie tank factory needs to keep tanks inside and can start building next one only when current is destroyed. From balancing side it is bad as well - it makes Alcatraz as troop producer, not military buildings.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

OP is interesting in concept, but what you are proposing is a radical change to the existing game mechanics. This would be a huge project in my opinion.

DeletedUser

doesn't fit to the game

osts should be high enough to make elite units very valuable. When used they would make battle much easier
easier than: attacker always win if defender doesn't have at least 600% :rolleyes:

Those units dont need any supplies and dont want payment - its a bit silly :)
and they don't die even if they get old, very old :rolleyes:

an city advancing thousands of years and still have troops from the first century

DeletedUser7529

OP is interesting in concept, but what you are proposing is a radical change to the existing game mechanics. This would be a huge project in my opinion.

I know its a lot of work. But game needs to move on so players dont get bored :)
I think it can solve many balance issues which exists now. It would finally also make resources much more important - coins, supplies, goods. Many advanced cities have tons of them stockpiled now, without any way to use them, as they are not needed in quantities that are currently produced.

easier than: attacker always win if defender doesn't have at least 600%

Isnt it how its working now anyway? :)
This change would actually give defender a bit higher chances than now without building 600% towers. You can put elite units in defense too. And attacker cant use elite unit and 7 rogues, as those rogues would transform to regular unit not elite one (as rogues cannot be upgraded).

and they don't die even if they get old, very old :rolleyes:
an city advancing thousands of years and still have troops from the first century

My idea also solves this problem too :) Player will need to decide is it worth paying maintenance for units from iron age, or dismiss them to save resources for more needed units.

Status
Not open for further replies.