• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Stupid long-range combatants

DeletedUser

If I chose to attack with a slinger for example, my intention is to stay away from the enemy and shoot instead of entering melee.
But what does my slinger if the enemy is too far away for shooting and click for attack? He runs into close combat, shots his sling and gets punched in the face.

Wouldn't it be smarter if just walks close enough to fire his arms instead of running into the arms of the enemy?

DeletedUser

Before you attack with your slinger, you have the move order, "green line" around the map shows how far you can move him.

next when you want to attack you have the same line, just RED this time, If the enemy is out of this line, either wait with the move for this unit, or if you can attack someone in that "line of fire"

I have newer had a slinger walk up to another enemy, So i am not sure how you manage to do that, when you are attacking with him ?

DeletedUser

It is not a question of "can I handle my slinger". I just do not want to move my slinger a few steps and then shoot. Instead I want to click the enemy and let my slinger decide how far he must move before he can shoot.

DeletedUser

Oh okay...

Hmm well yes, i see you point now.
But still, we get the change to move the units first before attacking, and i would rather use 2 rounds to move my slinger slowly closer, than moving the top distance, and get killed in the next round.

But if you are able to attack the enemy, then i dont get why the slinger moves at all ? then i will give you. that he should stand still and "fight"

Jules

Squire
This happens sometimes, when the unit is too far away to shoot without moving, but the attacked unit can be reached by moving the unit on the map and this is in fact sometimes really annoying.

DeletedUser

If I am close enough to hit, the slinger does not move, that works.
But if a few hex fields are missing for shooting but moving fits, the slinger engages.

DeletedUser735

Yeah i have encountered such problems but now i know wat i was doing wrong. When ur slinger turn comes you see a whole green area where ur slinger could move. okay but when the enemy moves and comes to red area (means slinger's range) , but sometimes slinger can't attack him as he is one block far from it (but see him standing in re area a bug may be). you need to move 1 step ahead to attack him. If i am using slinger ( i use arches more but for early age ppls slinger is an option) i will min use 3 slinger in a fight and make a u shape but care full don't enter enemy range :D , means catapult can aim you by standing far off and slinger's defense is weak.

So, just plot some spearmen or warriors to guard them. The middle Slinger of the U shaped Defense (if you following u shape tactics) needs two spearmen or warriors. And the side ones 1 each. In total they are 7 units in u shape defense , but if you have a long ranged like catapult weapon or a troop which move fast like horseman to give emergency help, plot that unit in front of middle slinger, for doing this whole set up u just needs 3 truns which u can get easily if u r moving first :p.

Hope you liked my tactics and my explanation towards ur Question :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Imho horseman and catapults suck.
Horseman are fast but don't deal that much damage but are very easy to damage in return.
And my catapults only deal 1 damage in average...

I stick to 5 slingers and 3 warriors. Archers will be mine soon,

DeletedUser735

Hmm... how ur Horseman doesn't deal much damage -IMAGO- My Horseman takes away half health of the emeny and if they are attacked then also. They survive much longer in fight for me :D I don't know completely wat is happening with ur Horsemen but they are very usefull for me :p

DeletedUser

Imho horseman and catapults suck.
Horseman are fast but don't deal that much damage but are very easy to damage in return.
And my catapults only deal 1 damage in average...

I stick to 5 slingers and 3 warriors. Archers will be mine soon,
Catapults are useful to counter Ballista's

DeletedUser

Hmm... how ur Horseman doesn't deal much damage -IMAGO- My Horseman takes away half health of the emeny and if they are attacked then also. They survive much longer in fight for me :D I don't know completely wat is happening with ur Horsemen but they are very usefull for me :p

my horsemen are stupid ... maybe :p

DeletedUser

Horsemen are not that good in my opinion, im even recommending in my guide to not even build them xD

DeletedUser735

May be they are fools but i have not built them since January means not even seen from 1 month just make some other heavy damage units :D

DeletedUser1275

when no long range things are in play the smartest move is to not move your range for the first turn, set up a defensive line with heavy infantry, then once the enemy light infantry or cav have deployed move your rangers up behind your heavy infantry along with a flanking maneuver with your cav or light infantry to knock out their archers.

The enemy light infantry should be in range of your archers from a safe position, and the enemy cav may have already attacked your heavy infantry (barley harming them).

Last edited by a moderator: