• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Special/event production buildings

qaccy

Emperor
Whatever happened to special production buildings from events? I think the newest one is the Sleigh Builder, and that's a couple years old at this point; all of the newest production buildings are old enough to be in the pool for the Antiques Dealer, if that says anything. Has the game moved past the point where production buildings are desirable as event prizes? Harder to power creep them with the production timers?

The amount of people who bid crazy amounts on the magnum opus and the amount of energy for the sliegh builders would suggest that they are indeed still popular - but only on the fact that they are small and fufil event quests requirements, not that they're actually useful the rest of the time. Yeah I would like a few 3x2's for event quests, but I think the biggest factor is if inno just stopped giving production quests because nobody likes them and they are counter productive to good city building (what should be the purpose of the game).

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
but I think the biggest factor is if inno just stopped giving production quests because nobody likes them and they are counter productive to good city building (what should be the purpose of the game).

City building should be a focal point of the game. To make city building interesting you need diverse and competing objectives such that you're making tradeoffs. Tradeoffs like "how many production buildings do I want for the quests I know I'm going to have to do?"

You could maybe get away with only 6 but have it be highly annoying. Or 12 and have it be somewhat comfortable. Maybe you have a flex area that can sometimes be blacksmiths to backup your 6 sleigh builders you use for "productions your age" when instead it's "24 8 hour productions". Which then raises the question, what does that flex area do when it doesn't need to be blacksmiths for you? These are all interesting questions brought about by having production quests be a fixture of events.

There needs to be more to city design than "how many OP event buildings can I squeeze in to max out combat stats or FP production?" Freeing that area you use for production quests does not make city building more interesting - it just means you stuff another couple OP event buildings in their place.

Not saying I don't complain about production quests, but they do serve a purpose.

City building should be a focal point of the game. To make city building interesting you need diverse and competing objectives such that you're making tradeoffs. Tradeoffs like "how many production buildings do I want for the quests I know I'm going to have to do?"

You could maybe get away with only 6 but have it be highly annoying. Or 12 and have it be somewhat comfortable. Maybe you have a flex area that can sometimes be blacksmiths to backup your 6 sleigh builders you use for "productions your age" when instead it's "24 8 hour productions". Which then raises the question, what does that flex area do when it doesn't need to be blacksmiths for you? These are all interesting questions brought about by having production quests be a fixture of events.

There needs to be more to city design than "how many OP event buildings can I squeeze in to max out combat stats or FP production?" Freeing that area you use for production quests does not make city building more interesting - it just means you stuff another couple OP event buildings in their place.

Not saying I don't complain about production quests, but they do serve a purpose.
I'm pretty sure having a bunch of blacksmiths in a SAV city kind of defeats that purpose as well.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
As to the original post, i think a big factor on not receiving more of them is that they only really design grand prizes anymore - and perhaps feel production buildings don't make for good grand prizes (Cider Mill was the only significant multilevel one in recent memory).

Sleigh Builders & Sunken Treasures are appealing because they're small and usable for quests requiring you to have something your age. Because they're small you don't mind missing them for a period of time while they help you with your quests. Conversely using TFs for event quests always felt a little bad.

Size-6 buildings don't make good grand prizes (Altar Garden was the only attempt at going that small).
Larger buildings won't be appreciated for their use as production buildings.

Non-grand prize-related event buildings are seldom added these days.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I'm pretty sure having a bunch of blacksmiths in a SAV city kind of defeats that purpose as well.

The choice to have a bunch of blacksmiths is still ultimately a *choice* and does take space that you might otherwise choose to do something different with - which *is* the purpose.