• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Space Age's Outpost Feedback

mcbluefire

Baronet
  • First, what's your general opinion about the Space Outposts of the Space Ages?
    * Cool idea.
    * Waste of Technology Research since you lose access to the outpost when you move up in age. It makes no sense, to me, that we abandon/complete them when we move to the next age. That is equivalent to demolishing our OF Sub or AF ship terminals. Would much prefer they remain, even if the goods production was somewhat reduced because the colonists decide to start keeping most of the production for themselves or something like that. ;) Also, the Mars Ore/Asteroid Ice on the map should remain available. My 2 cents.
  • Second, how and for what do you use your Space Outpost?
    Since I have a high level CF for goods it made more sense for me to focus the Outpost on credit production to ensure I have more than enough for Ore/Ice production. So there is nothing there but "housing".
  • Last but not least, which buildings do you usually build, and for what purpose?
    Housing and housing - nothing else.

• First, what's your general opinion about the Space Outposts of the Space Ages?
    • Good.
Space Age Mars Colony/Outpost:
    • To generate Credits required for Start Explorations for Mars Ore at Mars provinces which are needed for Research Tech unlocking.
    • To generate Mars Goods
  • Last but not least, which buildings do you usually build, and for what purpose?
    • Residential Buildings for credits production and colonists required for goods buildings.
    • Built four or five Goods Production Buildings for each of two (2) of the goods which are boosted.
    • Roads to connect buildings to Town Hall.
    • Living support buildings, to keep productions costs as efficient (GREEN) as possible.
    • Residential and Living Support Buildings used were replaced with more efficient ones once unlocked from Research Tree.
    • Used all the space available at the colony expansions.
SAAB Colony/Outpost:
    • To generate Credits required for Start Explorations for Asteroid Ice at Asteroids which are needed for Research Tech unlocking.
    • Eleven (11) Residential Buildings (2x2) for credits production & colonists required for the goods production building.
    • One (1) Goods Production Building (5x5) to solve a event quest.
    • Roads to connect buildings to Town Hall.
    • No Living support buildings so far (Living Support status in RED, Not using the Goods production building but to produce goods). SAAB goods are obtained by other means: Quests Rewards, Events, GBs, GE Rewards, Trading, Incidents, etc.
    • More than 50% of the original available space at the colony/outpost is not being used.
    • Additional expansions unlocked from Research Tree has been added, but again not used. Residential Buildings (2x2) built provide more than enough credits for Start Explorations, even they could be collected more times in a day than the frequency collected now. I could delete the goods building since it is not being used, but since I do not need the 5x5 space, it don't bother me leaving it built and un-used.

Last edited:

Nyxx

Merchant
Overall, I think they're nice addition. In SAM, I mostly neglected my colony and build bare minimum. SAAB colony was first geared towards producing credits, but now it's geared towards maximizing goods production while keeping ample life support so production cost is as low as possible.

One big dislike is the the cost of SAM goods and especially mars ore in SAAB. It feels much more expensive (in terms of resources/city space) to acquire goods of the previous era than the current one, and that just doesn't feel right. Again, this is especially with the mars ore. From the campaign map I can get around 350 asteroid ice in 60 seconds using the three 24h sites, costing me only few SAAB credits and units, but I spend millions of supplies/coins a day (not to mention city space/population) to get a fraction of that in mars ore.

Tahrakaiitoo

Marquis
First, what's your general opinion about the Space Outposts of the Space Ages?

Bad. I don't like them. First; I don't like that they are taken away. Doesn't feel good and it causes me to not want to put any effort into it.
Secondly; it's all space themed and to me that's just boring.
Thirdly; because of reasons number 1 and 2, it's just not fun to play with them; so I just spam homes. Not fun.
I really hope Venus will be the last age with this gimmick.

Second, how and for what do you use your Space Outpost?

Only for farming credits.

Last but not least, which buildings do you usually build, and for what purpose?

Only homes; to farm credits.

Last edited:
First, what's your general opinion about the Space Outposts of the Space Ages?

They are fun while doing the techs and progressing through the age and missions, but there is NO endgame for them aside of producing goods. Once you finish your techs, then the outpost is gathering dust and do not serve much purpose anymore. For example, in Mars I did not touch the outpost AT all anymore, until I learned about the prerequisites for SAAB, so I had to start farming ore and goods again for a smooth start and progress through that age. Right now I use SAAB for extra good production but that's hardly useful because I already produce enough through event buildings at the same time.

Second, how and for what do you use your Space Outpost?

I use it right now for extra goods, but when I feel my guild has enough of them, I can cease production and make it gather dust again.

Last but not least, which buildings do you usually build, and for what purpose?

I have 9 goods buildings in it, some homes to support the population demand for them and produce credits, the rest is roads and life support to keep production costs down (though I do not need that because I have enough supplies to get me through the next 2-3 ages :p).

Recommendation:
Think about some endgame thing to keep the outposts interesting (and in some way needed) for when you finish the techs and story missions. Right now there is NO endgame and hardly any good use for them for a large part of the age's lifespan.

Big Baloney

Farmer
ewZulul.jpeg

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
First of al, I think my proposal fits this discussion better then proposing it as an idea / suggestion as this came up in me because of this open discussion.
To answer the questions at the opening post. I feel like the colonies are a great feature to improve immersion. Something that fits space ages extremely well. Without it the space ages wouldn't be half as enjoyable and interesting, if you ask me.

Proposal
I've an proposal that answers most of the community desires, regarding space colonies. The ability to revisit an previous colony and to regain acces to exploration sides.

In a nutshell
Make space colonies work like cultural settlements and make access to exploration sides on space age cmap dependent of active space colony instead of current space age. Also, introduce the option for granting independence to space colonies.
Extended explanation & fully worked out proposal:

Unlocking the different space colonies
Up on reaching an new space age, you'll unlock a new space colony of that age. Similar how Aztecs are unlocked in colonial age, for cultural settlements.

Independence
Up on reaching Space Age Asteroid Belt, you'll be able to grant independence to your active space colony. After which you can select a new colony.
Independence works the same as abandoning an cultural settlement. You'll lose all credits and expansions, additionally you'll losing access to the exploration sides of respective space colony.
For example when you'll grant independence to your Mars colony you can't use Mars ore exploration sides. Until you start a new Mars colony.
To be clear, when you enter SAM your Mars colony starts automatically just like now. Only up on entering SAAB you'll gain the option to make your SAM colony independent and starting your SAAB colony whenever you decide. You can also grant your SAAB colony independence whenever you see fit and building up a new SAM colony instead. This works the same with SAV and later space ages.

Selecting space colony
After your previous colony became independent, you can start a new space colony.
In the selection are the space colonies you've unlocked. This works the same as with cultural settlements when you'll selecting an cultural settlement. For example in Space age asteroid belt, you can choose Mars or Asteroid belt. In SAV you can choose between Mars, Asteroid Belt and Venus.

(re)gaining acces to (previous) special resources
When you choose an colony of an previous space age, you'll regain access to the exploration sides of respective space age. For example I'm in SAAB and grant my SAAB colony independence. Then I slecht the SAM colony. Now I can obtain Mars ore from the cmap again. However I'll lose access to asteroid ice exploration sides. As those are from SAAB colony and not SAM.

In this way you can switch between Space resources as you decide. The drawback is that you must choose between those you've already unlocked. The colony also starts at 0, like cultural settlements. Expansions are lost and all buildings and credits. Unlike cultural settlements are still all colonial buildings available to be build. Since they where unlocked from the tech three.

Disclaimer
This proposal is not DNSL, as such;

"Making the game easier"
This proposal does not affect the difficulty of the game. It rather enables new strategic chooses to make.

"Extreme changes"
This proposal does not radically changes the way colonies work, nor how space ages work. The game mechanics remain the same. Colonies will only become more like cultural settlements.