• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Solutions Event Quests

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
As most know the event quests are starting to become the same drag, for each
event. In particular the annoying once. A few honourable mentions in regards
of the least popular quests:

> Produce 99999+ times a production of X minutes/hours
> Gain 99999+ happiness
> Buy fps
> Gain 99999+ population
etc.

So, while identifying an problem is the first step to improvements, I also feel like
solutions should been made and thought of. I would like to discuss openly about
the possibilities and solutions for better event quests, or even better ways for holding
events in FoE.

Event Towns

Introduction:
Each event is organised in a different part of the globe and each event town
will have its own scenario and similar to cultural settlements its own unique
mechanics which distinguishes itself from the others. Unlike cultural settlements
no event town contains impediments. Each town will still host their old mini
games which are either accessible in the event town and/or in their current
position.
When an event has started the player will receive an pop-up window with their
first log-in of the day, informing them that an event has started. The event town
is accessible with the event hub pier.
The pier could have two different skins:when no active event is present and when
an event is active. This could help even more with catching the intention that an
event is active. If the dev. team is really ambitious they could make skins for
each event.

No event
When there's no active event you can find an overview of the various returning
events with a description of the event. You can also find records of previous
events like now.

Active event
When an event is active you can visit the event town through the Event Hub,
similar to how you can enter an cultural settlement through the port. When
you want the event overview you can press on the main building of the event
town.

Event examples:

Spring event
During spring you can visit an Eastern town preparing for all kinds of festivals for
celebrating the spring and the rose blossom. In this town you'll learn more about
the festivals and while doing so your unlocking new buildings for the event town,
which you need for the event quests who reward you with event currency, needed
for the mini games.

St. Patrick's day
Is hold somewhere in an Scottish place. There busy preparing for their event but
the previous event manager left in the last moment. So, the town asked your
help to safe this special day. While doing so you learn more about the tradition
and the specially fitted buildings for the event.

Soccer event
The chosen place for this year's international Soccer event is running out
of time. With your help they can still bringing the sport event to every sport
fan in the world.

Summer event
You discovered a bottled message. It appears to be an treasure map on
one of the tropical Forge Isle's. On an tropical island a friendly pirate offers
to help you out if you'll able to building up an fleet and muster a pirate crew
quick enough.
The curious governor keeps an eye on both of you. Can you manage to keeping
the governor out of your treasure hunt and finding the treasure before time
runs out?

Halloween Event
A strange figure who owns a sinister wondering circus has requested your help.
He is in the need of some supplies and ideas for this year's Halloween. In return
of the favour he's offering you a special reward. Can you trust this mysterious
fellow?

Winter event
During the winter event you are invited to visit the winter town of the last few
winter events. They are once again busy preparing for Christmas, the shortest
days and longest nights of the year.
A terrible snow storm had destroyed much of their preparations. They requested
your assistance to rebuilding it all and saving this year's Christmas. While your
helping them out an mysterious season spirit is reported to making all kinds of
pranks slowing down the preparations. He called himself Frosty the snowman.
Is there really a season spirit fooling you and the town, or is there an old friend
behind the scene pranking you again?

Daily unlocked quests
In the event TT there can be advanced options time blocked until a certain
time has past. This can be displayed with an timer running down to 0. After
this the timer disappears and the tech. will behave like any other tech you
can unlock in the tech tree of the main city and settlement.
Alternatively daily quests can also exist of achieving certain tasks in the event
mini games. For example during the summer event use 3 tickets (if tickets
are regenerating like wild life).

Reasons & thoughts behind proposal:
The current system of how events are organised in FoE is very limited and
forcing the team into using such annoying quests over and over. The proposal
could resolve this entirely by introducing an easily controllable environment as
a specially designed event town.
In those places there can be also some additional mini games or just the
existing minigames getting recycled. The quests could evolve around doing
those mini games or achieving certain goals in set mini games.

I did not include Wild Life event because I don't know if it will become on reoccurring
event like the listed events. If Wild Life event would become a real thing, it'll be probably
hosted in an nature reservoir.

Some event quests are very annoying for some players and just like a daily challenge for others. In particular for me I find the following two (2) the most annoying
> Gain 99999+ happiness (as if my city would need more happiness, I got XXX K extra happiness at the moment).
> Gain 99999+ population (again, no need for more people, my free population is like YYY K already).

The key is then reserve a bit of space to be able to build and delete things to complete the requirement, or waste a store kit to store the Crows Nest and build it back to gain large population quickly. Also this space reserve is used to build a lot of Blacksmiths to help with the " Produce 99999+ times a production of X minutes/hours" quests.

The proposal to have an "Event Town" would easy these disruptions to the main city, (no more building and deleting decorations, unneeded houses, adding low era Blacksmiths to an advanced city, or changing production schedules to cycles out of or normal playing time). however, the Event Town may seen as a way to lower the level of difficulty of the game since removes the need to manage city space during the event.

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
The key is then reserve a bit of space to be able to build and delete things to complete the requirement, or waste a store kit to store the Crows Nest and build it back to gain large population quickly. Also this space reserve is used to build a lot of Blacksmiths to help with the " Produce 99999+ times a production of X minutes/hours" quests.
That is exactly the problem, those quests ain't fun. Just annoying roadblocks to overcome, not
even challenging with the current existing work around developed by players. I'm looking for
solutions to making the event quests fun again, rather than boring, annoying and tedious like
those are now.
I feel like something like Event Towns or Event exclusive features that making it possible to
make more fun and interesting quests for events the solution to return interest and fun for
each event. Especially if each Event Town or Event exclusive feature for each event provides
interesting and fun quests to complete. Effectively making each event unique again and far more
fun to play through than the current system of quests. As Inno has little other options for (event)
quests.
As for event exclusive features, don't confuse this with the existing mini games. As those are fine
and currently the only fun and unique part of the events in this current system. Something that
enables better quests to build up around rather than produce X times this production, buy fps
and gain happiness ain't challenging rather annoying roadblocks.
The proposal to have an "Event Town" would easy these disruptions to the main city, (no more building and deleting decorations, unneeded houses, adding low era Blacksmiths to an advanced city, or changing production schedules to cycles out of or normal playing time). however, the Event Town may seen as a way to lower the level of difficulty of the game since removes the need to manage city space during the event.
Well regarding the work arounds, do you experience fun while doing so? Or just some
annoyance and just deploy the work around and getting over with those quests? An event
town could be designed in such a way that there is a far more fun way to playing through
it instead of being forced to dropping work arounds all the time.
The level of challenge for events can be better designed with Event Towns. Similar to
cultural settlements the level of difficulty will be equal for every player. Instead of being nearly
impossible for some early / inexperience players while being a boring child play quest to
overcome for the more advanced / experienced players.

I hope this will clarify my thoughts behind the proposal a bit more and my aim for this
discussion. As my main aim is to discuss the options to develop better ways for FoE to
organise events which are fun to play through, in particular looking to the tediously and
annoying event quests we're stuck with now

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
I am in favor of the variety of quests, but what would seem fun to some would become painful for others.
On the French community I had proposed this:

For my part, I think that players should be encouraged to use the current tools:
- include 1 looting in the quests; (to demonstrate its advantages and difficulties)
- impose to receive X po / mo; (to encourage more contacts and selection of friends)
- impose to receive X po / mo only between neighbors; (to encourage more contacts and selection of neighbors)
- produce X ress of 3 ages below, apart from GM;
- have x offers accepted at the market, excluding guild members;

For my part, I think that players should be encouraged to use the current tools:
- include 1 looting in the quests; (to demonstrate its advantages and difficulties)
- impose to receive X po / mo; (to encourage more contacts and selection of friends)
- impose to receive X po / mo only between neighbors; (to encourage more contacts and selection of neighbors)
- produce X ress of 3 ages below, apart from GM;
- have x offers accepted at the market, excluding guild members;
Agree and disagree. Ok with :
  • looting / plundering quest (players that dont like plundering will ask for this be optional).
  • produce X ress (goods?) of 3 ages below, apart from GM. (it may still require to built a building not longer deemed needed for the city, but can be planned and sold after the quest, or keep until a quest requiring to gather coins or supplies comes up).
Disagree with :
  • receiving motivation / polishing quest. Why?: Event progress would be then subject to others, not by the player direct actions.
  • impose to receive X po / mo only between neighbors. Why? Event progress would be then subject to others, not by the player direct actions. Also, encourage neighbors selection? How? the player has no control or influence on who his/her neighbors are going to be.
  • have x offers accepted at the market, excluding guild member. Again, event progress to be subject to actions by other players.
Even if I have good friends, I can not control when they will be online / available to motivate / polish at my city or for trade. Those quests could delay for hours the progress of the event during the first phase when quests are not scheduled as one quest per day.

I would expect a lot of annoying / begging messages at Global chat like "Please take my trade", or "Can anyone motivate a house at my city?".

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
what would seem fun to some would become painful for others.
Exactly my issue with the current format of how events are organised: just give a bunch
of quests to complete within the limits of the main city / game to obtain event currency
which you can use to participate in the event mini games. The letter is the only thing that
sets each event apart from the others and is what provides most of the fun. The quests
are just a drag, no matter the variety.
I feel like introducing another part for events, which would be more enjoyable for everyone,
instead of limiting themselves to regular quests as we see now, would be the best possible
solution long term. Giving something memorable to look forward to when the event will
return to playing through again instead of now, even with more variety: jus again a
bunch of roadblock quests to overcome just to play the fun mini games of this
event.
While I've proposed an entire temporary dedicated event town as it fits the FoE theme
best and I think if anyone hates city builders they'll probably not playing FoE. This could
become like: sweet the summer event is returning, finally able to visiting that pirate
isle again, or for Halloween the spooky circus is on the menu again, curious with what
they cam up this year.
Alternatively some other type of mechanics existing out of the regular dragging quests
to play through for event currency. Which could be like: finally winter event is returning,
excited to play those winter games again. I feel like those vibes are much better than the
current: Not again produce 999+ productions, gain 9999+ happiness, etc.

@Darrth Eugene Vader3 I agree that if any quests remain, they should be possible
to solve without the dependency on other player's actions.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I don't think we can expect the quest chore to change. It's kinda a staple of events. I think it's more likely they try more things to force us to do them than replace them.

- the new wildlife event had it be a little more optional but then they nerfed the part where you wouldn't have had to do the quests necessarily.
- they also added these surprise boxes recently to encourage you to somewhat play events you otherwise would skip because "what if" you need it for the next one

From a practical point of view, the "chore" of the event is probably to make diamonds feel like they have meaning (i.e. you sorta can associate a work-equivalent to them based on how much effort you'd have to put into the questline to get the same currency).

You might be able to sell them on new quest tasks for variety's sake. But it's not so simple to come up with tasks that don't have to have an "or" attached to them. i.e. quests requiring something that doesn't unlock in bronze/iron age typically will have someone outraged that they're being forced to age up. And it is the sort of outrage they've caved to rather than say "suck it up, the game wasn't meant to be played forever in bronze/iron age".

It's also unlikely they'd get rid of all the ones that force you to have a "flex" space in your city to build & sell crap. While the tasks might just be annoying, the need for spare room at all times is the sort of pressure that's good for city building and forces you to come up with solutions: "what do I do with this space that's useful and yet doesn't interfere with when I need it for random stuff in events?"

What would be interesting is if you could abort event quests. You can finally continue to do the event and not be totally boned if you're not in a guild or whatever. The consequence is that you dont get that daily price which adds up to be a significant amount of event currency if you do do them all. The only thing stopping this is now the pier requires all quest complete which would be impossible if you could abort them.

I would prefer if the quests had something to do with the event. Such as the tasks in the st paddies town, you did things in the minigame that gave you prices. Like in the wildlife event: Clear N blocks, Clear N of X colored blocks, Gain N paws, Use 1 tool, ext.

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
@planetofthehumans2 with the limitations of quests I agreed, just wished
there could be done a bit more. Quests are kinda limiting and quickly becoming
tedious and falling in a repeating cycle for each event. Quest for event mini games
could bringing in some more unique trades at least.
I still really hope for a special event feature to replace or supplement / enable
unique event related quests. Something that will be a unique way for each event.
Something like the original Eastern events in which you where able to hide Eastern
Eggs in other player's cities and could receive them. Even while it's replaced with
incidents.

As has already been said something that is fun for one will be painful for another. Anything that is like the settlements would be a no go for me. I did Viking, waded through Japan, started Egypt and thought No!! no more!!! It would not matter how many incentive boxes or anything else they used as bait. I would not do them.

And to correct one thing in your Original post.

St Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. You need to move poor Paddy back to his proper country LOL. If it was Scottish it would be the St Andrews Day Event and would contain a lot of tartan and thistles not the green and Shamrocks. :))

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
@Lady Redneck I know that's why I didn't specify in my last comment the suggestion for event towns, rather an alternative feature which
can be anything. Anyways I find it hard to believe that anyone actually enjoys spamming black smiths for the sake of completing event
quests, or obtaining 9999+ happiness for just being able to progress through the event.

Anyways this are the benefits for an actual event town:
> Not limited to resort on ridiculous quests
> No need to cycle through the boring same quests
> Player's ain't forced to resort to workarounds to the dislike of Inno who's intention likely isn't for players to spam blacksmiths
I'm unsure what your struggles are with settlements but as we speak about it, this are the differences:
> Unlike settlements no time pressure for timed rewards
> No appendages
> No forced play style (trader, Japan, fighter, Egypt)

Mechanics could be instead of something like diplomacy new buildings could be unlocked through quest progression.
Another part is that it'll offer a bit more of the city building aspect rather than somewhat of an cultural themed challenge and could have it's
own unique trades. For example something like an mini single player GE with its own minigame for encounters. Which could be an equivalent
of the cmap. All of this enables the dev team to experiment more and craft something better better than the current format.
Either way I can understand the problem with the suggestion for event settlements as it's very time consuming.

I think maybe some side event feature which requires less time could still spicing up the quests. Maybe something like a mini GE, with
a minigame instead of negotiations/battles. This is a more out of the box thing. With as rewards additional event currency as an
controlled and adjustable supplemental source of event currency instead of incidents which is more luck based.
Yet I think the best that can be done for now is as others said before just implementing event quests asking tasks to perform in the event's
mini game.

I do not have any struggle with Settlements. They became tedious, were not adding to my enjoyment of the game so I stopped doing them. I know others do enjoy them and that is fine. Much like in RL, I find ironing a to be tedious and a chore to do so just do not do it. However if my husband wants a shirt ironed I see nothing wrong with him doing it.

To tell the truth I feel that the game is getting bogged down by mini games. It is as if the new owners of INNO are employing game designers who cannot get their heads round the concept of a MMORPG. They cannot grasp what it is really about. They have no idea of how to develop the real game in a meaningful way. So instead they simply ignore it as much as is possible and have turned it into a platform for quick play, short lived games which are not good enough to stand on their own in the market they are supposed to be in. A lot of players do now play the game simply for the mini games. the game itself is an inconvenience to them. Which is why they complain so much about it being to slow. to difficult, to complicated and so on.

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
Sorry for my misunderstanding, I've been blind for a while regarding the current situation, except for the game breaking power creep.
For content I've started playing before even the first GBs and goods boosts where an consumable type of loot from provinces and
the LMA was the highest age. I guess been used to the game without anything but the core game made me too hyped and blindly over
rating the additional features. I personally however do appreciate the effort put in settlements as giving a sort of side quest city
builder in an different cultural setting and environment. Yet I must admit I purposely leaving Vikings for later and Egypt when I really
feel like it again. Mostly available time for the game is an deciding factor for me.
Anyways I also feel like the game offers sufficient side stuff to do besides events and events are in too close proximity of each other.
Devaluating the events themselves and simple amplifying the drag-full quests. I think you'll right that they should shift their intention and
resources towards the main game. Several attempts where made to suggest implementing the hidden bonus provinces scattered over
the cmap from pre-Arctic_Future ages. Perhaps if the main game would be polished and improved, they could introducing better event
quests too. With a new feature in the making & several events I'm afraid if they'll plan to improve it'll take a long time before we'll seeing it even in Beta.

Yep,I started when there was (If I remember rightly) only A B and C maybe D was there cannot remember. It is a totally different game now and I am not a lets go back to what it was type. As there was some things we could cry about back then also LOL, A lot of the stuff they have introduced is great. I just feel it has lost its way. New players are now coming into the game thinking that the Events ARE the game. All the Forge of Empires stuff is an inconvenience to them. they want to be able to get it done and out of the way fast so they can get on with what they see as the real object.