• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Not A Bug: Scouting Quests doesn't update on quests panel [45934]

DeletedUser8794

Reproduction Steps:
1. Have a scouting quest (More Information)
2. Send scout and return to city's view
3. The scout reaches it's destiny, but the quest panel doesn't update

Issue Description:
When completing scouting quests, the quest log doesn't update even if the scout already have reached it's destination. To get the update, the player must visit the continent map. The expected behaviour, as in every other quest, should be that the quest panel updated automatically.

Player: Lorenard
World: Dunarsund
Operating System: Fedora
Browser Version: Chromium
Viewport Size: 1920x985

I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported: Yes

DeletedUser8406

This might be not bug but feature: You can always have almost complete scouting quest for events, you must only open continet map :)

DeletedUser8794

Another user had posted a similar view of it, but comparing it with the building quests. He deleted the post, but I'll quote his message because it seems to be a popularly shared perception:

for me that is a feature
so I can start a scouting for an event and when I need it I will go to the map and finish the scouting

so please: don't change it from feature to bug

Lorenard
The expected behaviour, as in every other quest
really ? in EVERY quest ?

building quests count the start and not the end of building
a building is placed. it counts. no need to wait until it is finished

so if this "bug" is fixed that "build bug" should also be fixed and counts when the building is finished and not placed in the city

It's just my opinion, but it seems more like an exploit than a feature.

It's not about when the required elements will be counted as finished, but when the quest panel will update the quest's status. The panel always refreshes as soon as the required elements are finished -be it in the start or end of a building, collect, production, conquest, etc... -, but not when it's a scouting quest, that doesn't depends on it's start or end, but on the continent view.

DeletedUser5882

I am against any changes regarding the scout's actions.

I don't know what era you are in Lorenard, but with each era the duration of scouting increases. When you have a scouting duration for 2 days, imagine how difficult it would be to complete the scouting quests without spending diamond.

I have completed all my scouting now, but in the past I used to send the scout and make sure not to check the map until the scouting quest appeared. Of course I made sure to complete "gain over sector/province" tasks if there were any in the questline while or before scouting. I had had many horrible experiences in the beginning that taught me that completion of scouting not being recognized unless the map is opened was actually a wonderful FoE blessing.

So it not a bug. It is a wonderful feature that should never be meddled with ;)

DeletedUser8794

Again, it's just my opinion, but it still seems like an exploit.

Why not have this better developed and have, for example, the scouting task and time splitted into "scout" and "report", where the scout must return to the nearest province or use a radio / sattelite view / drone or other technology, depending on the era, to report it's findings? This would make more sense, allow a better immersion and wouldn't be something as tricky as avoiding go to the continent map.

DeletedUser

Just an update on this.
I forwarded this as a bug and have been informed it is not. This has been the behavior for years and is not currently considered to be a bug.
However, if anyone has a reason to think this should be changed, for example if you feel it can be exploited, then please provide details and examples of what you feel the potential problems could be.
If any points are made that do expose a problem, I will resubmit it as a game improvement.
Thanks all.

DeletedUser8794

Thanks for your efforts, Zarok!

Besides the long date of this behaviour, this issue seems a bug that has been painted and sold as a feature.

The continent map is used to scout and conquer provinces, and doing so, as far as I know, can trigger scouting, negotiating and battling events. These events, having different ways to be updated in the quests, can be very disruptive. In a case where, e. g., a player wishes to schedule a scouting mission to complete a timed quest (daily challenges or event quests) and the scout already reached its destination, he/she won't be able to visit the map again if he/she needs to complete a negotiation or battle in any of the previous scouted sectors without wasting all the effort already spent.

This could happen even if a player simply forget that the scout already reached its destination and visits the continent map. Avoiding using a feature of the game just to have some advantage seems like an exploitation behaviour to me, not to talk about the already usual behaviour of almost every player using this "feature" to save diamonds, as already portraied by some comments on this thread.

Despite this all, what bothers me the most is the lack of immersion. The game works so well in so many ways that having something so incomplete like this seems to be just laziness. A lot of other ways to have this worked out could be implemented (e. g. the scout and report division), and yet it is incompletion has been treated like a feature for so many years.

Thanks again for your pattience and effort on this.