• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Forwarded Reverse Sort Unit Age Selection List / Remember GVG Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackCat

Squire
Reason
Too much time is wasted moving the Age pointer in the unit selection list and having to scroll to the very bottle of the list for each battle.
When battling in GBG or GVG, it may require a completely different setup of units and Ages from one battle to the next.
Details
Currently the list is sorted by ascending age. It would be more efficient in having sort by descending Age, depending on the player's Age level achieved.
In most cases, units of the highest age in inventory are desired.

In GVG, The list selection should stay focused on the current battle age, such as FE for FE battles.

As an added bonus, the list could also remember the last unit type (Artillery, Flying, etc...)
Balance
It will not affect other game functions. It will simply allow the player to spend more time fighting and less time playing with the Age selector.
It will cut down on the potential for Carpal tunnel syndrome!!!
Abuse Prevention
This will cut down on having to compete with bots which do not have to move the age pointer.
Why should bots have the advantage in the Age Selection at the right age?
Summary
I feel this will enhance everyone's ability to spend more time fighting and less time playing with the controls.

If you do not use the Age feature, it probably will not affect you, but a change may encourage you to use it more often.
The game gets frustrating when you are spending a lot of time changing the selection list pointer.
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
Yes, no New Idea threads for "Age Selection" Alternative ideas only, not the list sort itself.
Proposal:
1. Reversing the Battle Age selection list? (Descending Order)
2. Have it remember selected AGE in GVG. (applies to AA only)
3. Focus list to current Age in GVG. (FE, TE, CE, etc...)
4. Remember Last player setting (including Unit type)

Edited: Since lower ages in GVG default to only those units.
Still applies for GBG.

Attachments

• Military_Age list.JPG
    Military_Age list.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
This suggestion has been forwarded. Votes are no longer accepted.

beelzebob666

Overlord
Pathfinder
Spoiler Poster
technically 4 proposals...
1) I can not really see any reason for that - are you one of those that have hover tanks in colonial age?
2) it does not do that already? I am not playing GvG, but there was a discussion about the selector behaviour some time ago and it was confirmed, that remembering the players age selection is standard (or do you mean to remember a certain age specifically for the AA-map?)
3) this definitely is currently already done

4) that might indeed be useful

PackCat

Squire
technically 4 proposals...
1) I can not really see any reason for that - are you one of those that have hover tanks in colonial age?
2) it does not do that already? I am not playing GvG, but there was a discussion about the selector behaviour some time ago and it was confirmed, that remembering the players age selection is standard (or do you mean to remember a certain age specifically for the AA-map?)
3) this definitely is currently already done

4) that might indeed be useful
Thanks for the clarification... Actually it only applies to AA.
When in SAJM, it will cue up SAV units, and you have to reset to SAJM for EVERY resupply.

The main thing is to reverse the sort order, so the higher age is at the top of the list.
I consider it all part of the same proposal since it is regarding the functionality of the AGE selection Drop-down.
The only addon, is to remember the unit type selector as well.

Last edited:

Thunderdome

Emperor
I can do with the last known unit type selected as part of this process since it is kind of a chore trying to click on a certain type to swap out for the ones wounded from a fight. Only one I can swap out, at the moment, is the rogue since I have it keyed into "No Age", and it doesn't matter if I have the light unit selected or all types. But try to manage through heavies (stealth tanks) and you have to click on the "Heavy" unit button just to get to them since "all units" might highlight other units (light, range, artillery, fast, etc.) that get a priority on the list.

Kronan

Viceroy
I would rather see an option to save some setups. Even if there is a limit (5, or even just 3), it would still help a ton when you need to replace units a lot.

Yeah, this is a simple and yet exceedingly elegant idea, and I fully support it.

Let the user craft 1, 2 or 3 different groups of 8 up warriors (in each setup...), and assign EACH group of 8 to one of the 3 single digits. Call them: User warrior battle configurations, 1, 2, 3.

This is so LOGICAL an implementation concept for the amount of warfare done in this game.

In fact, this is done all over multiple industries. I have a musical composer workstation, and can combine multiple voices, texture and DSP choices into a single user button, so I don't have to continue to recreate that specialize or unique music voice every time I want to use it. I just touch the button. All I stored for the voice settings are instantly articulated when I touch the keys. 1 touch, VOILA.

This should be part of the evolution path of a critical game feature in FoE. Gosh, we all do enough fighting...

Amdira

Baronet
Why not start the list at units from current age
Additional to that it would be fine to have a button like "fill up with rogues" :)

PackCat

Squire
The main concern here was to put the higher ages at the top of the scroll list.
The other actions are optional, I just don't like having to scroll to the bottom for every battle setup/refill.
In GVG (AA), it defaults to SAV even if you are wanting to use SAJM units. Hence, it should remember your last setting when not in FE or lower GVG or GBG or GE or any other battle scenario.

Thunderdome

Emperor
I can go for the preset type where it shows which units (up to 3 presets) are set. This was more efficient and effective for when I was playing in GOII and setting up my fleets for battles; either through PVE instance runs, PVP battles, or PVP league battles. Also, it fully replaces to the number set; so, if I had a fleet that had only 1987 ships out of 3000 remaining (due to losses) in a slot, that slot would be at 3000 for when I use the preset (meaning 1,013 ships were added to the slot for the full 3000).

Something like this can be applied to the presets for FoE and troops. When a player clicks on the preset, the current formation is emptied and the new formation is placed. It may look like that it heals the troops, but instead it just removes the wounded from the formation and replace those with the same type in a slot that has full health. So if my formation consist of Stealth Tank in the first slot, Rogues in slots 2-8; when I click on a preset with that, it will replace that 1 stealth tank and any rogues (up to 7) that I want to swap the wounded for the full health ones. If all my STs are wounded, then it will put in the highest healthy ST in its place; same with rogues. If there are no units to be replaced then it would not do anything (you're empty).

Status
Not open for further replies.