• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Forwarded Option to Start the game without the Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason
Players with cities already developed in other worlds, even up to high eras, does not need to be taught or lectured, again by Ragu Silverthounge on how to build a house, produce a trophy in a Hunter building, how to attack a sector, how to get coins, supplies, etc.
Details
After opening a new city at a new world provide a selection box for the player to choose if going through the tutorial (default option) or start without the tutorial. Inno may limit this choice to Players that have already cities built ans developed in the server. A real new player with no cities built before will go directly through the tutorial in this first city.
Balance
No balance issues. Players not going through the tutorial will be offered an equivalent starting quests line like the one the game used before the tutorial was implemented.
Abuse Prevention
No abuse issues
Summary
Make tutorial required only to real new players, players starting playing FOE for a first time. Accounts with cities already built to have option to start a 2nd, 3rd, or additional city without the tutorial.
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
DNSL reviewed. No issues detected
Visual Aids
None.
To provide an option to start the game in a new world without the need to go through the tutorial. Limit this option only to players that have already cities developed. Being a new player in a world does not necessarily implies that the player is new to FOE.

This suggestion has been forwarded. Votes are no longer accepted.

beelzebob666

Overlord
Pathfinder
Spoiler Poster
All for it, but where/how would it start?

It could just start you off where you would start in the tutorial, but you do not get the free long house maybe?

Each starting option would need to have a set of quests.
  1. Option 1 (default): Take the Tutorial: questline is already defined.
  2. Option 2 (for players not new to the game, just new in this particular world): A questline must be established that will end at the same point when the questline of the tutorial ends. From that point both group of players will follow the main quest line of the game.
The Long House was implemented as a way to teach about premium buildings / use of diamonds. Players with cities built in other worlds already know this. Is having a Long House for free a big advantage for players selecting the tutorial vs Players using option 2? Not sure. I have played FOE long years, with multiple cities, in two servers, without using my diamonds for premium buildings (maybe just the Theater once). I agree to not have a free Long House if not selecting the tutorial. Players using option 2 should be able to buy the Long House from the Build Menu, if they wanted it, using the diamonds they got available.

Last edited:

Rusje

Steward
This would be very useful. The totorial is boring if you've done it over and over again. I could almost do it with my eyes closed...

Thunderdome

Emperor
A strong YES from this bloke on this suggestion. For those of us who are seasoned FOE players, a tutorial we can do without. Most games offered this as the players like to get into the action. A tutorial should be for those who never played the game.

MooingCat

Viceroy
Spoiler Poster
I've probably started close to 20 cities, and as much as I find the tutorial annoying, I think there are better things for Inno to focus on. It's short so any experienced player can just breeze through it, and I think it's quite good for new players. Should probably include some more of the social aspect of the game, but guess that's off topic for this thread.

So if they made it skippable, I would imagine quite a few new players would skip it as well, and I don't think that would be a good thing. It could definitely work if you do as you suggested and make it an option past the first city, but then you start making things more and more complicated and I think there are better QoL changes Inno can make that would affect the gameplay for more users.

If it's just a simple change then I'm all for it, but if it would break things and require lots of time getting to work, I don't think it's worth the development time atm.

So if they made it skippable, I would imagine quite a few new players would skip it as well, and I don't think that would be a good thing. It could definitely work if you do as you suggested and make it an option past the first city, but then you start making things more and more complicated and I think there are better QoL changes Inno can make that would affect the gameplay for more users.

The complication after selection is made, is to have two starting set of quests. One is the current one with the tutorial, the other can be the same set of quests that we had just before the tutorial was implemented.

EDIT: The game has already a few points in the main story questline that depending on a Player choice the outcome (rewards and next quest) is different. Example:
  • "War or Peace" quest in Modern Era, Player has to select if Attacking or Negotiating.
    • Next Quest (if attacked): The Honor of War
    • Next Quest (if negotiated): The Honor of Peace
    • The next Quest after the above ones ( Next Quest: Take Natsuishu ) has two versions (I & II), asking the Player something different each time, again aligned with the choice made at "War or Peace".
Inno could use the same mechanism at start the game.
  1. Give a first quest to all Players.
  2. Include at the quest the choice that Im proposing: Take the Tutorial or Not to take the tutorial. The choise could be pay 5 coins to select option A, vs Pay 5 supplies to select option B.
    • If player selects to take the tutorial then the tutorial starts as designed.
    • If player selects not to take the tutorial then the next quest would be from the quest line that was used before the quest Tutorial was implemented.
So for the "complication" they have a solution already implemented.

Last edited:

6zeva9

Baronet
How are they going to trigger the Diamond Quest offer if they do not have the tutorial?
After all it is triggered in second cities when you complete certain tasks in the tutorial.
Each of the 4 Diamond Quest offers for the cost of the cheapest 4 normal Diamond purchases offer 230% to 380% Diamonds compared to normal.
Even if you do not collect all the daily Diamonds you still get more Diamonds than a standard purchase.
And you can trigger all 4 if you want, for 10 less than the cost of the sixth diamond price and still get more diamonds than it offers.
Or should this Quest offer be removed so that we do not spend a lot of money when setting up a second or third city?

How are they going to trigger the Diamond Quest offer if they do not have the tutorial?
* Inno has plenty knowledge on how to insert/trigger a Diamonds offer when they want it.
* Offer to buy the Long house? No free Long House if selecting the No Tutorial option, no quest forcing the Player to build it if selected the No Tutorial option. The Long House to be available at the Construction menu to be purchased with existing diamonds if the Player wants it.

If the Player thinks those Diamond offers are worthy, then to select the Tutorial option, suffer the Tutorial and enjoy the Diamond offers.

It is a great Idea!And I think,that the city should have The Quest with the Diamonds.But without the Tutorial.(Sorry,my English is bad)

The Diamonds Quest can be inserted at the No Tutorial quest line if the Developer agree that without it a Balance issue would exists between players opting to take the Tutorial vs those who don't. They can use several things to trigger the quests, for example:
  • when population increase over X people,
  • after conquering a specific province on the Map,
  • after unlocking a specific technology at the Research Tree,
  • after completing Quest #Y in the main storyline.

Emberguard

Emperor
I did not searched at forums in languages I cant read/understand. Any reason for the refusal?
Each server has a DNSL for their forum. (Do Not Suggest List)

Don't know what the FR servers DNSL list has but for Beta one of the items on there is "Removal of features". That would be the most likely reason based on Beta's list

Each server has a DNSL for their forum. (Do Not Suggest List)

Don't know what the FR servers DNSL list has but for Beta one of the items on there is "Removal of features". That would be the most likely reason based on Beta's list
Is it really a removal if its optional though? There's no benefit in making users do the tutorial multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.