• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Forwarded Option to delete individual messages in a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeniePower

Merchant
Reason
Keep threads clean
Details
When clicking on a message, additionally to the current options of copy/paste and reply, the option to delete the message should appear when the user has admin rights on the thread
Balance
N/A
Abuse Prevention
Only available to admins of a thread
Summary
Possibility to delete individual responses in a thread
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
Yes
Especially in the guild threads but optionally also in the social threads, I would like to have the option to delete individual replies. Guild threads are often very organized and people replying can be annoying. Kinda like here on the forum the separation between the announcements and the feedback. Therefor I would like to be able to delete these responses to keep threads clean and on topic.
Locking the threads is not always an option since they do require members to be able to post in them. P.e. a thread to announce absences: a member posts they will be on vacation and someone replies have fun! I need to keep track of that absence but the replies are totally of topic here.

h3MEqxa.png

This suggestion has been forwarded. Votes are no longer accepted.

beelzebob666

Overlord
Pathfinder
Spoiler Poster
That would indeed be a helpful function for certain situations.

But.... I cannot point with the finger on what exactly it is, but I see potential for misuse...

If the delete function is deactivated in the guild main thread area and the delete function is only active in the self-created thread. I would advocate that.
I don't need that under social.

Clean up or Censorship?
If implemented it must be restricted, it would be a mess if anyone could delete message from any other.

Restricted only to those with admin rights...
  • Applicable to threads in the Social Tab?
  • Applicable to threads in the Guild tab?
  • Applicable to the Main Guild Thread and on this one limited to Founders/Leaders only?

Clean up or Censorship?
If implemented it must be restricted, it would be a mess if anyone could delete message from any other.

Restricted only to those with admin rights...
  • Applicable to threads in the Social Tab?
  • Applicable to threads in the Guild tab?
  • Applicable to the Main Guild Thread and on this one limited to Founders/Leaders only?

I would say
  • the Social Tab no delete function
  • the Guild tab yes
  • the Main Guild Thread no delete function (so that there is no censorship)

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
In addition it would make the function of moderator within guilds which was abandoned with the removal of internal forums.
But only in the Guilds section, not in the Social section.

GeniePower

Merchant
Thanks everyone for thinking about this. I see there's a trend to not want it in social, I was on the fence there too. Sometimes it could be good but it's for sure less of an issue there. I see the worry about censorship, this was never on my mind so thank you for that. On the other hand, do you want to stay in a guild that would censor you?
It's for sure an admin function as I said in my proposal. I can see an additional 'moderator' privilege. It's not applicable for my guild with a deep enough leadership roster but guilds with a smaller leadership team might want to appoint a few extra that can manage threads.

That's a pretty heavy contradiction there. Your split would still be censoring the Guild. Aside from which the main thread is often dedicated solely to the leaders posting announcements. You'll just have the Guild restricted to the part that can be censored.

I don't find the delete function necessary under social, it is helpful under guild.
However, no deletion should be possible in the main guild thread so that everyone can express their opinion uncensored.

Emberguard

Emperor
I don't find the delete function necessary under social, it is helpful under guild.
However, no deletion should be possible in the main guild thread so that everyone can express their opinion uncensored.
But expressing opinions in the Main Guild Thread is already not an option for many Guilds due to being reserved purely for announcements. What use is it to not be able to delete posts in a thread where posting is not an option at all due to Guild rules? There won’t be anything to delete because there’s no posts in the first place that‘d fall under your intended purpose

Last edited:
But expressing opinions in the Main Guild Thread is already not an option for many Guilds due to being reserved purely for announcements. What use is it to not be able to delete posts in a thread where posting is not an option at all due to Guild rules? There won’t be anything to delete because there’s no posts in the first place that‘d fall under your intended purpose
I have not yet had this limitation of the main guild thread in the guilds. As a founder, I generally think it's good in the Guild tab if I can keep the threads clean. But I also advocate that every member also has a position for uncensored expression of opinion in the guild.

Emberguard

Emperor
I have not yet had this limitation of the main guild thread in the guilds. As a founder, I generally think it's good in the Guild tab if I can keep the threads clean. But I also advocate that every member also has a position for uncensored expression of opinion in the guild.
Yes, and for the guilds I’m in that’s not via the main thread. Some guilds use the guild tab, others use the social tab. Very few in comparison I’ve seen actually use the main guild thread for the intention brought up in this proposal. As far as ensuring players aren’t going to get censored goes, only way you’ll achieve that is by not adding a censor option anywhere.

This really is a all or nothing situation. Partly because if you do a partial job on this feature then Guilds can make it a rule to only post in the places where stuff can be deleted (or else you get kicked). Partly because there are already guilds that only utilize a specific section due to it fitting their needs better, therefore you’ll be punishing those Guilds that don’t line up with the specific playstyle you have in mind

The suggestion is not mine. I can understand it and because of the clarity in the thread I can advocate that as a guild founder.
But I also see the danger of censorship. The only thread where all guild members are automatically included is the main guild thread. All others can now be completely deleted or the members can be removed by the admin in the Social tab.
Therefore no delete function in the main guild thread.
A guild is used for teamwork, help and support, if that is restricted by the guild management with too strict rules and censorship, one should think about changing to a better guild. If the delete function is only used as a tool for clarity, that's good.

GeniePower

Merchant
The suggestion is not mine. I can understand it and because of the clarity in the thread I can advocate that as a guild founder.
But I also see the danger of censorship. The only thread where all guild members are automatically included is the main guild thread. All others can now be completely deleted or the members can be removed by the admin in the Social tab.
Therefore no delete function in the main guild thread.
A guild is used for teamwork, help and support, if that is restricted by the guild management with too strict rules and censorship, one should think about changing to a better guild. If the delete function is only used as a tool for clarity, that's good.
To address your censor concern: any member can create a social thread that includes all guild members. He/she is the admin of the thread and no one else can kick anyone from that thread. But my point remains: if you are being censored by guild leadership, you don't want to stay anyway

Kronan

Viceroy
In a perfect world, this is a great idea. But you know someone's going to go into a tailspin about their rights to post in an open guild (social) tab topic and defend their post, even with guild administration (or a post creator..) thinking otherwise. Not everyone is cooperative. I don't know how to adjudicate that power, if an adminstrator thinks the post doesn't belong, and the owner or other think it does.

I'll abstain from voting. I do think the messaging system needs another functional update as a priority, but unless this gets more clarity to solve more problems that it creates, I'll watch for it to develop and get consensus on a plan to handle objections.

To address your censor concern: any member can create a social thread that includes all guild members. He/she is the admin of the thread and no one else can kick anyone from that thread. But my point remains: if you are being censored by guild leadership, you don't want to stay anyway
That is of course correct, in the social tab I am against a delete function, as this is not necessary here.
I am for your suggestion ;-)
I just want to draw your attention to a danger.

Kronan

Viceroy

It's not just posted opinions. It's that people put visual links (GBs) in the main guild topic, or visiual trades and that's not where they belong in many guilds, so it's a cleanup function to keep the guild topic more focused.

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
Simpler than censorship by deleting an intervention in the Guild tab, it would be interesting for moderators to be able to hide interventions. A logo stating that there are hidden interventions would then be available so that everyone can see them but the option would be to re-hide each time.
Thus in certain subjects, it would be possible to mask the flood to keep only the important information in direct reading.

It's not just posted opinions. It's that people put visual links (GBs) in the main guild topic, or visiual trades and that's not where they belong in many guilds, so it's a cleanup function to keep the guild topic more focused.
Threads can be set up in the Guild tab, for example for trade, GB promotion. Tactics for GBG and more. The delete function can be integrated here.
In the main guild thread that the system automatically creates when guilds are founded, I am against the delete function.

Simpler than censorship by deleting an intervention in the Guild tab, it would be interesting for moderators to be able to hide interventions. A logo stating that there are hidden interventions would then be available so that everyone can see them but the option would be to re-hide each time.
Thus in certain subjects, it would be possible to mask the flood to keep only the important information in direct reading.
that's a good idea too

Status
Not open for further replies.