• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Oceanic Future/Virtual Future Story Quests

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Ok, so recently I decided to finally make the step up to mars on one of my live worlds as it seemed like a good way to get ready for GBGs. I could setup with a bunch of VF goods producing event buildings and then move up to cover current goods (as producing large amounts of OF was going to be a challenge since half my good event buildings already were VF). No problem there.

But I'd long been lazy on story - still back in the middle of OF somewhere. Continent had become largely unimportant since goods boosts no longer really mattered and I had plenty of expansions. Knowing that mars changes that, I knew I had to get caught up and so I started blowing through story.

And holy crap, I thought I was bad for giving up story - but apparently the developers gave up on story too! Through the last parts of Oceanic Future it had turned into basically an alternation of 'take X province' 'do something else' 'take Y province' and since the map was largely linear the fact that the province you were being asked to take was often 3,4,5 provinces away from where you actually were was ignorable - just keep scouting and taking the next province til you find it. But in VF it really sank in. You had the big rich maps of the old world continents with multiple paths for potential progression and the story reads 'take X province' 'well where the hell is X province?' *checks wiki* - 'oh in that far corner of the map'.

While I can't confirm the absence of multiple lines as that'd involve getting a second city that far along, it seems unlikely given how generic all the story quests seemed. What ever happened to choosing sides or leaders it gave you a benefit to be nice to and other leaders that myciena would be gnattering in your ear 'i'm not sure how i agree with how you're handling this...'

Adding the colony interaction for mars continent was a good idea to give it relevance again - but if you're going to have story take prominence again you might want to consider a better effort than throwing together 40 provinces filled with random crap and a 20 quest linear "story" that doesn't even string them together in a coherent manner.

1BFA

Viceroy
Totally unrelated...keep the special buildings in VF.. on live servers there are plenty of SAM goods and no VF goods on market.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Totally unrelated...keep the special buildings in VF.. on live servers there are plenty of SAM goods and no VF goods on market.

That is indeed the plan. Since making OF goods was hard for me if I stayed in VF, i figured with a bunch of VF event buildings I have a better shot of covering both current and previous era in mars by using event buildings for VF and mars colony/questing/etc for mars goods.

qaccy

Emperor
Gotta say I agree with being overall disappointed that quest dialogue is essentially filler at this point. Obviously a game like this is never going to focus on having a deep story, but at least in the earlier ages the text and tasks associated with them felt a lot more fitting for the age you were in and what you happened to be doing at the time. Nevermind the fact that quest givers are disappearing without a trace or explanation. Whatever happened to Myciena? She was summarily replaced by Terry Hunt in Arctic Future and there wasn't even a mention of it despite Myciena being your supposed closest advisor. Then the same thing happened again once we went to Virtual Future, with Terry being replaced by E.V.E. They do introduce themselves at least, barely, but the quest givers they're replacing should have at least had a send-off or, even better, kept around to give side or recurring quests.

I know pretty much nobody else is going to care about this stuff, but I'm glad someone else is making a thread like this because it shows I'm not entirely alone!

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Well I mean, I don't know if I'm even the type that cares strongly about it being well written - but honestly in its current state I'd rather it not even be there instead of the slapped together version they've got. Up until at least FE and to some extent AF story fills the role of presenting you choices and consequences for your choices. You can be nice to a sheik and be given diamonds later for helping him out with his problematic brothers. You can go to war with the north, south, both or neither in industrial age! You can give Rin Gozen an honorable death or piss her off to no end by making peace with her. And consistently the quest giver is telling you what the options for the next step forward are, acting as an advisor guiding you through - my first play through I've never felt the need to look up on the wiki for an age's map until VF (I suppose would've been OF too if it weren't for the fact OF's map was so boringly linear in the first place).

Before you're asked to 'conquer X' there'd be a quest that makes sure you've scouted X to know what the heck they're talking about. In rare cases when they haven't they might say 'conquer the province north of W' instead. They certainly *never* gave you a quest to 'conquer X' when you had 4 directions you could be headed and no idea which direction X was in - or even how far away X was. For that matter if there was multiple ways you could be going they'd be offering you choices and followups that depend on those choices.

More or less instead of the story being you guided through the map by an advisor it merely becomes a series of checkpoints with hundreds of free goods thrown your way. 'here's a gignormous new map! i'll monitor your progress and occasionally give you carrots or throw in a nuisance quest.'