• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Rejected New design element for selected buildings to allow to be built partially over (span) a road without interrupting road continuity from Town Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason
To enhance look of the cities with buildings or structures that go over a road.
Details
Option A: Modify the design of selected buildings to be able to share the space occupied by a road piece or a group of road pieces set in a straight line.

Option B: If Option A is not possible to program, then design the building with a chain type ability forcing the construction to be aligned at both sides of the road but after construction is finished the combined image is seen as one building, not two buildings with a gap in the middle where the road pass.
Balance
No balance issues detected.
All players that unlock from the Research Tree a building with this feature included at their design will be able to build it.
If a current building is modified with this feature, platers with this building built at their cities will be able to move the building (currently at a side of a road, to over a road if they want.
Abuse Prevention
No abuse issue sdetected.
Summary
Allow for selected new (or current) buildings a design characteristic to built them over / span a road without blocking or interrupting the continuity of the road connection with the Town Hall.
Open to discussion, feedback in favor or against welcome.
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
DNSL reviewed. No issues detected. The proposal is for a change in the design of new or current buildings, not proposing a new building perse. Not specifying building rewards otr boosts.r size
Visual Aids
None.
Current: Buildings that require road connection to Town Hall has to be built with at least one road tile touching the building at one of the sides (top, right side, left side or bottom).
Proposed: Allow for a selected group of buildings (new and/or current) to be built partially over a road, so when built the road is seen crossing the building (that is entering the building by a front side and exiting by the back side), without interrupting the road that is crossing through the building.

Reason: To enhance look of the cities with buildings or structures that go over a road (not necessarily a vehicule road, could be pedestrian roads). Examples:
Iron Age: Triumphal Arc:
A triumphal arch is a free-standing monumental structure in the shape of an archway with one or more arched passageways, often designed to span a road. In its simplest form a triumphal arch consists of two massive piers connected by an arch, crowned with a flat entablature or attic on which a statue might be mounted or which bears commemorative inscriptions. The main structure is often decorated with carvings, sculpted reliefs, and dedications. More elaborate triumphal arches may have multiple archways.​
Bridges: A bridge is a structure built to span a physical obstacle (such as a body of water, valley, road, or rail) without blocking the way underneath.​

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Good questions. Your first Question match my 1st Option.

In my original idea the road is built first and then a Building with this design characteristic is built on top of a straight section of the road without this impact the road continuity to Town Hall. All buildings constructed at sides of this road, before and after this selected building, stays connected while touching the road.

For example, If Iron Age Triumphal Arc is given this design characteristic I was imaging:
  • building it with its middle section over a road
  • road crosses underneath Triumphal Arc, from the front to the back,
  • Triumphal Arc keeps its design as a cultural building, not changing it to a special kind of "road", I mean stays as a cultural building, not "part of the road".
  • Buildings placed at the right and left sides of the Triumphal Arc, not touching the road underneath, would not be connected to a road by touching the Triumphal Arc, they will still need to touch a road to satisfy their own road connection requirement.

Last edited:
Reclassify these "selected buildings" as a "special road" (keeping in the case of current released building like Triumphal Arc their current size, shape, and in this case the happiness value), as suggested by Emberguard at the second question, could be an Option 3, and easier to implement, giving an additional benefit to use the four sides of the building (now a special road) to connect other buildings.

Not sure if this Option would limit this design ability to only selected cultural buildings and decorations be reclassified, and not to Residential, Supply Production, Goods Production, or Military Buildings.

Last edited:

Sl8yer

Regent
DNSL
  • Ideas to make yourself richer or make the game easier. The game is meant to be played over time and have a element of strategy.

• Rotating buildings to fit in a different shaped space (placing your buildings in optimum positions is part of the game).

• New buildings or items. Buildings and items are decided upon according to a feature, event, era and need to ensure they are balanced within the game.

Having roads go through buildings will make it easier to place those buildings. Makes it easier to fit them and since no such thing is in the game, it is a new item.

Make the player richer?
  • Maybe, the change if implemented would give the player a bit of space saving.
Rotating Buildings?
  • No rotation is being suggested, buildings to keep current shape, size and orientation.
New Buildings or items?
  • Proposal is for a new design feature/characteristic to be available at selected new (or current) buildings
  • If implemented Inno to decide which buildings would have this feature to ensure balance issues, if any, are in control.

Beta-OD

Squire
Make the player richer?
I would argue that it would add a new feature to the game, a new experience and something for them to build upon to give more interesting play experience. It would also add some interesting visuals. It would of course have to be a specific direction road which could add even more interesting set ups.

Roads are an interesting aspect that they haven't really done much with since the start of the game. I feel like there are all kinds of things that could be done to add more to the game with them.

Sl8yer

Regent
Make the player richer?
Space saving is making the game easier.

Rotating Buildings?
  • No rotation is being suggested, buildings to keep current shape, size and orientation.
True, no rotation is being mentioned. You found another way to fit buildings in a different shaped space and that is what it is about.

New Buildings or items?
  • Proposal is for a new design feature/characteristic to be available at selected new (or current) buildings
  • If implemented Inno to decide which buildings would have this feature to ensure balance issues, if any, are in control.

A new design feature/characteristic is a new item and I do not think I need to address new buildings.

Definition of item: an individual article or unit, especially one that is part of a list, collection, or set.

I would agree that a new building, great building, military unit, good, special good, resource be an item. But a change in design, change bringing in a new design characteristic is not an item. If true, them almost anything new suggested here would be an "item" and therefore DSNL.

Items are what you see at Inventory: Buildings, Upgrade Kits, Selection Kits, Goods, Special Goods, Medals, other Consumable Items...

Last edited:

Sl8yer

Regent
Definition of item: an individual article or unit, especially one that is part of a list, collection, or set.

I would agree that a new building, great building, military unit, good, special good, resource be an item. But a change in design, change bringing in a new design characteristic is not an item. If true, them almost anything new suggested here would be an "item" and therefore DSNL.

Items are what you see at Inventory: Buildings, Upgrade Kits, Selection Kits, Goods, Special Goods, Medals, other Consumable Items...

A building you can place over a road is a new building or item.

Again, Im not suggesting a new building. Im not asking for an "item" of X x Y size/shape, giving a, b, and c, rewards, classified at a certain type (residential, goods, military, etc), also classified as regular, premium or special category, with or without capacity to be upgraded with Renovation or One Up kits, etc., with or without road connection requirement, or double road connection requirement, with location defined (to be built at the city vs at colonies, or settlements), etc.

The proposal is for a change in the design, to introduce a new design element or characteristic.

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
@Darrth Eugene Vader3 will your suggested mechanic also work on the road to victory? As it is literally an road. Further more is the final proposal the introduction of an new mechanic effectively making a select number of existing buildings road supplements on the select number of buildings that in real life could be used as a road or would you propose an new type of special road that can be used on a select number of buildings.
As I've read it the proposal got confused with items which are typically consumables used to complete certain actions or as tokens (GE attempts, PvP attempts).

Beta-OD

Squire
@Darrth Eugene Vader3 will your suggested mechanic also work on the road to victory?

I'm not him but if they were willing, I would be all for it. The RoV is pretty bad for what it is IMHO. I do think if you added the ability for it to act as a road (even if just for the SoH it is attached to), I would add to its value as a building. It would also add a new dynamic where the road on an SoH is coming in from a different way which depending on your set up, might be much more efficient.

@Darrth Eugene Vader3 will your suggested mechanic also work on the road to victory? As it is literally an road.
No, because the Road to Victory (RTV) is a special decoration not a road. Imagine a Statue of Honor with several RTVs chained to it, but without a road touching the Statue. Then imagine the Town Hall touching the last RTV. Will the Statue of Honor be connected? No, then RTVs are not roads. The RTV works without being connected to a road that runs up to the Town Hall, then it is a decoration. For that to work the RTV must be reclassified as a "road" or "special road", not part of my original idea.

I do think if you added the ability for it to act as a road (even if just for the SoH it is attached to),
That would be a independent idea.

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
No, because the Road to Victory (RTV) is a special decoration not a road. Imagine a Statue of Honor with several RTVs chained to it, but without a road touching the Statue. Then imagine the Town Hall touching the last RTV. Will the Statue of Honor be connected? No, then RTVs are not roads. The RTV works without being connected to a road that runs up to the Town Hall, then it is a decoration. For that to work the RTV must be reclassified as a "road" or "special road", not part of my original idea.
Thanks for the clarification. So, the proposed mechanic would only apply to buildings (requiring a regular road connection themselves) and not to anything else. Even while their lithely infrastructure/roads (roads to victory), canals decorations from contemporary era, etc. Still finding it a bit tough logic, excluding road like structures for being classified as decorations but including regular and great buildings.

What I meant is :
For example purposes, imagine a San Francisco Bride building with the design element proposed. My idea includes:
  • San Francisco Bridge going over the water roads of the Oceanic Era, or any other roads.
  • San Francisco Bridge cant go over a Road To Victory since it is not a road.
Road to Victory able to go over a road?
Not in my idea, since the idea apply to buildings requiring a road connection and current RTV do not require a road connection (it is a decoration).

I understand the confusion, but that comes from including the word "Road" in the name given to something that is not technically a road.
===
If the building is already a road, then dont need the proposed idea.
Make the design element available for selected decorations? On second thoughts, I agree. It would be possible to assign the design element to Ancient Gates for one example.

Status
Not open for further replies.