• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Fixed on Beta: memory leak(?) with many consecutie battles in GvG

Andi47

Overlord
  • World: zz1, de8
  • Browser and Version: 1.40.27602 (20.11.2014 11:04), Andi47 (73349), zz1, en_US, WIN 15,0,0,223, Windows 7, Firefox/33.0, 1920x939, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)
  • Overview of the bug: When doing several consecutie battles in GvG, there is possibly a memory leak, and eventually the sound will fail to play.
  • Screenshots: n/a
  • How often this occurs: EVERY time (just do enough battles!)
  • Urgency: medium (or high if you want to reduce server load caused by players forced to repeatedly relog)
  • Preventative Actions: relog after doing ~10-15 battles in a row
  • Summary: how to reproduce
    1.) have lots of units of the age where you want to fight in GvG and enough goods to lay siege
    2.) relog to get to a defined starting point
    3.) go to GvG map. If not yet placed, place a siege to a sector your guild wants to conquer (or ask a guildmate to do so)
    4.) do consecutive fights. (i.e. fight, select new units if necessary, fight again, etc.) It doesn't matter whether you finish/win the battle or click "surrender". (the latter would be faster for testing, it seems just to be important that the battle map is loaded and shown). Have an eye on the memory use of the flash player. I guess you need to do approx. ~15-20 battles for testing the sound issue and ~30-50 battles for testing whether the game will crash. Please don't test only with super-mega-high-end computers, but also with computers affordable to average players.
    Result:
    I did not watch the memory use this time, so I'm not sure whether the increase observed before the implementation of 1.39 was caused by GvG or by the memory leaks which were fixed with 1.39. But even with 1.40 after a certain number of battles (~15-20, no matter whether you finish or surrender them) you will no longer hear any sound (like walking/driving or shooting units). I have not tested since quite some time, but a few versions ago, continuing to fight more consecutive battles after the sound failed would eventually cause the game to crash.
    Reloading (e.g. after the sound failed) resolves the issue - for a short while.
  • I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported: I think this has been mentioned somewhere in one of the feedback threads, but I was not able to find it.
  • Have you tried fixing it by using these methods?: relogging resolves the issue - for a short while.

Last edited:

DeletedUser2752

I haven't been able to do too many GvG battles recently as I'm low on rogues, but I'll confirm it as I do notice the increase in memory. My only question: Is this with HA off or on for each of you?

DeletedUser1264

This is beta. It's on by default. Isn't it?
On en I have it on too, and I notice it there as well.
The "developers' flash" error is 1109, if memory serves.

Andi47

Overlord
I haven't been able to do too many GvG battles recently as I'm low on rogues, but I'll confirm it as I do notice the increase in memory. My only question: Is this with HA off or on for each of you?

it's with HA on.
I haven't tried with HA off for quite some time, but I have also experienced the same behaviour (memory increase + sound failure + eventual crash) before HA was introduced.

Andi47

Overlord
Even with the cloud animations off (1.41 on beta) the sound still fails after ~10-20 consecutive battles. I did not try whether it still crashes when I do even more battles.

Andi47

Overlord
I did some more tests yesterday:
* Memory use of the flash player is indeed increasing when doing several battles in a row in GvG, so this seems indeed to be at least one memory leak
* When I do a number of battles (~15 - 20, no matter whether I fight or surrender them), eventually the sound output fails. If I do even more battles (~3-5) without reloading the game, it will crash - i.e. after one of the battles returnigng to the GvG map will load forever (tried 2 times, happened both times).

1.41.27851 (04.12.2014 14:30), Andi47 (73349), zz1, en_US, WIN 15,0,0,239, Windows 7, Firefox/33.0, 1920x939, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)

DeletedUser2752

This should be fixed now. Please let us know if you're encountering this problem :)

Andi47

Overlord
It seems that the problem still occurs.

Generally the developers should keep hunting for memory leaks - the game is full of those!

Andi47

Overlord
I was able to reproduce the bug on beta in Progressive era a few minutes ago. Sound failed after ~15 consecutive battles, two battles later the map did no longer fully load - I had to reload the game.

I did not watch memory use, so I am not sure how much of this is caused by memory leaks.

1.47.29968 (12.03.2015 10:20), Andi47 (73349), zz1, en_US, WIN 16,0,0,305, Windows 7, Firefox/36.0, 1920x917, DirectX9 (336 MB VRAM)

DeletedUser2752

My apologies, the recent fix was for GvG specifically, not the battles themselves. The battles will be addressed later though

Andi47

Overlord
The bug (including the crash after too many battles) still happens with 1.48. Maybe there is an additional memory leak when returning to the map after battle?

1.48.30371 (02.04.2015 2:15), Andi47 (73349), zz1, en_US, WIN 17,0,0,134, Windows 7, Firefox/36.0, 1920x917, DirectX9 (336 MB VRAM)

Andi47

Overlord
The bug still happens with version 1.57. (1.57.32742 (09.08.2015 20:06), Andi47 (868769), de8, de_DE, WIN 18,0,0,232, Windows 7, Firefox/40.0, 1920x939, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM))

- sound fails after ~12-14 consecutive battles
- game crashes (returning from battle to GvG Era map loads forever, screen turns black) after ~16-18 consecutive battles.

Andi47

Overlord
Seems this one is partly fixed (since yesterday?):
* Sound still fails after ~12-14 consecutive battles
* but on the positive side, it is now possible to do 80 battles in a row without a need to reload!