• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Fixed on Beta: Memory leak - Guild Expeditions [43175]

RedRed

Viceroy
Reproduction Steps:
1. enter the game
2. click on the "guild expeditions" button
3. click on "back to city" button
4. iterate points 2 and 3
Issue Description (10/10):
memory usage increases each time you complete the loop; this happens even partecipating to GE battles (with more memory wasted). If you play enough on GE it causes big lags.

Player:
World:
Operating System:
Browser Version:
Viewport Size:
1.98.c7ef235 (22.03.2017 8:31), RedRed (58287), zz1, en_US, WIN 25,0,0,127, Windows 7, Firefox/52.0, 1280x927, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)

I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported: yep

Andi47

Overlord
You said the evil "M.... L...." word. This yields a 100% probability that this bug will be ignored by Inno. (as several bugs of the same kind, but in other points of the game, are ignored since almost 5 years)

Edit: I have experienced the same problem (with GE, with Battles of all flavors, with collecting and restarting buildings, with going to the tech tree and back to city, with visiting other cities, etc. etc. etc.). It causes not just big lags, it causes CRASHES of the game - several times per day.

RedRed

Viceroy
It causes not just big lags, it causes CRASHES of the game - several times per day.
Yes, even if this depends on how much free memory is available on your system and how much you play. I experienced a system crash only forcing the number of actions on testing the memory leaks (a funny system message on CTRL+ALT+DEL - "unable to open task manager, wait or shut down the system with the power button" :D); usually I close the browser when the plugin-container goes near to 1GB (but playing GE I can easily go from initial 400MB to 2B with 4-5 battles).

Even, these leaks might be caused or magnified by recent changes in Flash Player.

Last edited:

Andi47

Overlord
BUMP!!

Today I had 2 Flash crashes and one crash of the graphics card (getting psychaidalic colors on the screen and have to force-restart the PC)....

Graphics memory leak?

Can any mod please finally FORWARD to the developers, that FoE is very Memory leaky, probably even with graphics memory leaks (i.e. affecting the memory of graphics cards)???
I have the impression that the developers are not even aware that there are troubles with memory leaks, because nobody can find an exact cause for it.

Note: Memory Leaks do not cause crashes at one (and exactly one) well-defined specific game action - instead the crashes occur when the memory leak causes the memory to overflow or even causes memory corruption!

DeletedUser7779

Yup, i can confirm the colors get messed up after being online for a while (1-2 hours maybe). I've observed this after fighting like 20 battles or so - battlescreen turns black and only the troops are visible. Not to mention that roads disappear every so often and game still gets stuck when trying to switch between gvg maps.
This is why I'm so against adding more and more new features like incidents (indicators), at some point the game will just need a refresh every 5 mins :(

DeletedUser

We are aware of the inconsistent memory usage behavior on different systems and operating systems.
One of the problems with things like this is there is no clear cause, it affects different systems differently, and there is no singular fix that is likely to improve it.
I don't personally know all of the coding considerations there are in working on something like this, but I do know it is a complex issue because of all the variables from one system to another. However, we are aware of the issues some of you are having.

DeletedUser7942

It's the same sort of thing that was happening if you opened/Closed the Town Hall/Event History over and over again; Event History Window = Lag but they managed to fix that. I get the same when fighting many GvG battles. Here's my results after opening/closing the GE window multiple times;

memory leak - Copy.JPG

After refreshing;

after refresh - Copy.JPG

In any case I don't personally experience debilitating game problems when memory spikes into those higher numbers but I can understand how others might. Seems to me if they can fix one similar issue they can fix the others but I know nothing of coding/programming so.

DeletedUser7942

You said the evil "M.... L...." word. This yields a 100% probability that this bug will be ignored by Inno. (as several bugs of the same kind, but in other points of the game, are ignored since almost 5 years)

Edit: I have experienced the same problem (with GE, with Battles of all flavors, with collecting and restarting buildings, with going to the tech tree and back to city, with visiting other cities, etc. etc. etc.). It causes not just big lags, it causes CRASHES of the game - several times per day.
Thanks for mentioning that. Running tests with opening/closing the Research Window repeatedly (apx. 30 times) here's my results;

mem leak 2 - Copy.JPG

I start to notice a delay or "lag" switching between the research window and back to city up to about 3 seconds with that pictured above memory, I'll keep going and see how high I can get it and how long the delays get and try your other areas you mentioned as well.

Andi47

Overlord
3.2 GB - sounds similar to what I am experiencing...

Edit:
Collecting Memory leak reports from this thread:

1.) from TheSlayerofSloppyJoes (System: Win7, Browser: Chrome; starting value after refresh: ~290 KB = 0.29 GB):
  • Post #8: repeatedly opening and closing GE window: 1.08 GB
  • Post #9: repeatedly (~30 times) opening and closing Research window: 3.2 GB (!!)
  • Post #18: Same test as in Post #9, but under Windows 10: continuously increasing memory use AND CPU use; 4 GB and crash after ~65 times opening and closing research window
  • Post #12: repeatedly (~50 times) opening/closing research window: ~5 GB, game crashes

Last edited:

DeletedUser7942

3.2 GB - sounds similar to what I am experiencing...

Edit: collecting Memory leak reports from this thread:

1.) from TheSlayerofSloppyJoes (starting value after refresh: ~290 KB = 0.29 GB):
  • Post #8: repeatedly opening and closing GE window: 1.08 GB
  • Post #9: repeatedly (~30 times) opening and closing Research window: 3.2 GB (!!)
Actually yeah I forgot to mention I also went and did test battles in between the research window tests to test for playability so that added to the memory as well. I'm going to keep going to see if I can get this to be debilitating lag which I fortunately have not experienced.

DeletedUser7942

Wow, okay, for the first time I actually got the game to crash. I opened/closed the research window apx 50 times, GvG window, cmap, GE, Cities, had to be at the very least over 100 switches between windows and back to city, lost count then I got to nearly 5,000,000 on the memory when it happened and I got this (never seen this before in a year and a half of playing); I should also mention this is on Windows 7 whereas the majority of my gameplay has been on windows 10 on the same rig. I'm going to go back to that hard drive with Windows 10 and see if I can replicate the results.

crash - Copy.JPG

Andi47

Overlord
Which OS are you using? Windows 7? Windows 10?

How did you get the Task Manager to show the memory use of Google Chrome in this kind of detail?

DeletedUser7942

Wow, okay, for the first time I actually got the game to crash. I opened/closed the research window apx 50 times, GvG window, cmap, GE, Cities, had to be at the very least over 100 switches between windows and back to city, lost count then I got to nearly 5,000,000 on the memory when it happened and I got this (never seen this before in a year and a half of playing);

View attachment 2387
Which OS are you using? Windows 7? Windows 10?

How did you get the Task Manager to show the memory use of Google Chrome in this kind of detail?
If you right click on top of chrome browser it has a task manager you can open. The tests above were windows 7. I just did it on Win 10 and got the same results, over 4,000,000 and finally crashed. Now I don't normally open so many different windows like that so it's kind of a stress test I suppose which clearly fails.

Andi47

Overlord
Thanks for the info.

@Mods: for your interest, I started a collection of "memory leak"-test results in posting #10 of this thread.

DeletedUser7942

it affects different systems differently...the variables from one system to another...issues some of you are having

Not trying to be argumentative but after reading Andi47's comment about how he gets the problem when opening other areas of the game, periodically hearing about "GvG" lag and the testing I've done I'm going to go out on a limb here, because I too know nothing of programming, and say it doesn't matter what browser, what gaming rig, what OS, anyone has. It's my guess as of right now that whoever does the "stress test" I did above by repeatedly opening GvG, GE, cMap, Research etc will result in rising memory usage eventually resulting in a Flash crash.

The issue I found does in fact go back to the beginning of the game; Memoryleak under Flash with most browsers

The only ways for players to deal with this is to watch their memory and refresh when needed, not open a lot of other areas of the game and get more ram, a lot more ram, the more ram the better because I assume then it would take a lot more window openings to cause lag or a crash with the more memory one has. I have 6Gb of memory. I'm going to see if I can double that soon and do more testing.

So in the end all the complaints about GvG lag I often come across are not really exclusive or even relative to GvG, rather it's simply opening the windows many times building up memory no different than opening up Research window, GE window etc, they all cause the memory buildup.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7942

Ran another stress test; Win 10, 6Gb memory, Chrome, crashed after opening the Research window 65 times, got up to just over 4Gb memory in use;

Stress Test - Copy.JPG

Edit: NormaJeane - 2017-06-17 - Too large image(s), spoiler tags were added. Max size allowed is: 600x480 pixels.

Last edited by a moderator: