• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Fixed on Beta: Memory leak - Guild Expeditions [43175]

ZENA

Marquis
it is not our browsers or uor memory that is the problem it is Inno's website. Thy have a flash base website. the later website that can be upgraded DON'T use flash.

DeletedUser7942

If you want to run the game on a more stable basis, use Opera. I can open GE as many times as I want and my memory usage will barely change. On Firefox the game was unplayable.

No. It does not matter what browser you use. It does not matter what hardware you have (although the more RAM the better). It does not matter what OS you use. This is a coding/programming issue on Inno's end that only they can fix that effects all users. The only thing users can do is get more RAM, watch memory levels and refresh when needed.

Fresh Game
11111111111111 - Copy.JPG

Opening/Closing a bunch of various windows; Research, Continent Map, GvG Map, GE etc. WILL MAKE YOUR MEMORY RISE, eventually causing lag ultimately resulting in a crash.
222222222222222222222222 - Copy.JPG

DeletedUser8316

I just ran a test on my system (hardly a top end machine). Starting out Opera was at about 220 MB... after opening and closing GE 20 times plus responding to messages, opening my tech tree and inventory .... it was at 700 MB. If you're doing more than that in a session you need to get a life. If I tried that using the latest version of Firefox (32 bit , the 64 bit is even worse)... I wouldn't get to even 10 attempts and I'd be using several gigs of RAM. So yes, it does in fact matter which browser you use because most of them DO NOT support Flash, period. Without even doing anything or just checking messages and collecting goods in the game, I can watch Flash slowly climb in both processor usage and memory usage when I run Firefox (flash starts at 24% processor usage and goes up from there).

Opera makes it a LOT better and a lot more stable. Unless or until Inno changes over to HTML5, Opera is your best bet for playing.

Andi47

Overlord
I have debuger version of flash.
And first try to get to expedition:
http://prntscr.com/fmyt6q
Code:
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
    at de.innogames.strategycity.expeditions.view::GuildExpeditionMapContainer/dispose()
    at starling.display::DisplayObjectContainer/dispose()
    at starling.display::Sprite/dispose()
    at starling.display::DisplayObjectContainer/removeChildAt()
    at starling.display::DisplayObjectContainer/removeChild()
    at GuildExpedition/dispose()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.service::ModuleLoaderService/_disposeModule()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.service::ModuleLoaderService/_onModuleRemovedFromStage()
    at flash.display::DisplayObjectContainer/removeChild()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.controller.modules::RemoveModuleCommand/execute()
    at org.robotlegs.base::CommandMap/execute()
    at org.robotlegs.base::CommandMap/routeEventToCommand()
    at Function/<anonymous>()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
    at org.robotlegs.mvcs::Actor/dispatch()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.service::ModuleLoaderService/unloadModule()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.controller::StateActionCommand/execute()
    at org.robotlegs.utilities.modular.mvcs::ModuleActor/dispatchToModules()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.expeditions.view.hud::GuildExpeditionHud/handleHudClick()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.shared.ui.hud::GameHudMediator/_handleGuildExpeditionsHudClick()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.shared.ui.hud::GameHudMediator/_handleClick()
    at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
    at SetIntervalTimer/onTimer()
    at flash.utils::Timer/_timerDispatch()
    at flash.utils::Timer/tick()

After contiune and Back to City

Code:
ArgumentError: Error #2025: The supplied DisplayObject must be a child of the caller.
    at flash.display::DisplayObjectContainer/removeChild()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.controller.modules::RemoveModuleCommand/execute()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.service::ModuleLoaderService/unloadModule()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.service::ModuleLoaderService/loadModule()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.controller::StateActionCommand/execute()
    at org.robotlegs.mvcs::Command/dispatch()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.shared.controller::OpenGuildExpeditionCommand/execute()
    at org.robotlegs.mvcs::Mediator/dispatch()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.cityhud.components.bottomLeft::MainButtonGroupMediator/_onGuildExpeditionClicked()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.cityhud.components.bottomLeft::MainButtonGroupMediator/_onButtonClicked()
    at org.robotlegs.base::EventMap/routeEventToListener()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.shared.ui::ImageButton/_onMouseUp()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.shared.ui.components.button::ResourceLoadingButton/_onMouseUp()

There is some another error if I get relic, but now I havent it. After I get relic I post it.

what's this? Is this caused by dangling pointers?

DeletedUser7942

I just ran a test on my system (hardly a top end machine). Starting out Opera was at about 220 MB... after opening and closing GE 20 times plus responding to messages, opening my tech tree and inventory .... it was at 700 MB. If you're doing more than that in a session you need to get a life. If I tried that using the latest version of Firefox (32 bit , the 64 bit is even worse)... I wouldn't get to even 10 attempts and I'd be using several gigs of RAM. So yes, it does in fact matter which browser you use because most of them DO NOT support Flash, period. Without even doing anything or just checking messages and collecting goods in the game, I can watch Flash slowly climb in both processor usage and memory usage when I run Firefox (flash starts at 24% processor usage and goes up from there).

Opera makes it a LOT better and a lot more stable. Unless or until Inno changes over to HTML5, Opera is your best bet for playing.

I realize you like Opera, okay I get it but a browser is not going to stop a memory leak issue plain and simple, your test and mine prove that. I've been using Chrome exclusively for 1.5 years and never crashed and lag is rare. The reason why many users connect this problem to GvG is because they open and close a lot of windows in one session. I am fully aware most players won't be opening and closing the Research window 100 times in one session or even a combination of all the windows, the whole point is an attempt to identify the memory leak.

For the longest time I kept hearing about GvG lag. Because I ran across this post and did further testing I now know it's nothing to do with GvG, rather simply opening/closing windows where the data gets retained continually in memory which can happen with many of the other game windows as well. I am also now aware that most likely many other players who experience lag or crashes that don't GvG most likely don't have a lot of RAM and perhaps playing for an extended period of time to which I would say get more RAM and refresh when needed because that's all any of us can do at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7942

I can crash Opera as easily as any other browser :)
Thank you for keeping an eye on this issue but can you report the opening/closing window memory leak issue to Inno please, perhaps show the tests on this page and inform of us of anything from their end regarding it? Hopefully they don't only say "we're aware of the issue...", would like to hear a more detailed, personable and perhaps technical response. Thank you again.

DeletedUser7942

If I tried that using the latest version of Firefox (32 bit , the 64 bit is even worse)... I wouldn't get to even 10 attempts and I'd be using several gigs of RAM.
Without even doing anything or just checking messages and collecting goods in the game, I can watch Flash slowly climb in both processor usage and memory usage when I run Firefox (flash starts at 24% processor usage and goes up from there).

Okay I did some more testing. You are correct about Firefox 64-bit, it's unusable for this game, but the 32-bit performed same as the others. Regardless all the browsers aside from not being able to test that one all are equally effected by the same memory leak issue.

RAM: 6GB (This is our main concern, the more you got the better)
CPU: Intel i7 920
Rig build 8 years ago

Browser Comparison regarding RAM
Measure 1: 5m after opening city, no activity
Measure 2: 20 Windows opened/closed; 5 GE, 5 GvG, 5 Research, 5 Continent Map

browser test rsults - Copy.JPG

Opera (46.0.2597.26 (PGO):
239MB to 1.25GB

Chrome (v 59.0.3071.109 64-bit):
258MB to 1.27GB

Firefox (v 54.0 32bit):
320MB to 990MB

Firefox (v54.0 64bit):
Didn't test as just hovering over a building leaving tooltip info opened caused memory to continually rise. Refreshing didn't even help. Had to close browser.

Edge (v40.15063.0.0 64 bit):
290MB to 1.26GB

RedRed

Viceroy
I am fully aware most players won't be opening and closing the Research window 100 times in one session or even a combination of all the windows, the whole point is an attempt to identify the memory leak.
Exactly. BTW if you play GE it is really easy to open 20 "windows", because you have 8 attempts (+ some bonus if you find them on the road) and each one involve 2 windows (the GE level and the battle field) plus the army management.

Silveralius

Squire
Error from live server (cz)
That happens when I get relic.
Code:
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.citysector.components.snake.hiddenReward::HiddenRewardCityIsoEntityFactory/createRewardEntity()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.citysector.components.snake.hiddenReward::HiddenRewardCityIsoEntityContainer/createRewardEntity()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.citysector.components.snake.hiddenReward::HiddenRewardCityIsoEntityContainerMediator/_createAndAddReward()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.citysector.components.snake.hiddenReward::HiddenRewardCityIsoEntityContainerMediator/_onHiddenRewardAdded()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model.hiddenreward::HiddenRewardModel/_dispatchRewardAdded()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model.hiddenreward::HiddenRewardModel/_addStartedRewards()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model.hiddenreward::HiddenRewardModel/oneSecondTick()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model::ApplicationModel/_notifyTickObjects()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model::ApplicationModel/_oneSecondPassed()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model::ApplicationModel/_processTick()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model::ApplicationModel/onTick()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.pbe.core::ProcessManager/advance()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.pbe.core::ProcessManager/onFrame()

Code:
Silver
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.citysector.components.snake.hiddenReward::HiddenRewardCityIsoEntityFactory/createRewardEntity()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.citysector.components.snake.hiddenReward::HiddenRewardCityIsoEntityContainer/createRewardEntity()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.citysector.components.snake.hiddenReward::HiddenRewardCityIsoEntityContainerMediator/_createAndAddReward()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.view.citysector.components.snake.hiddenReward::HiddenRewardCityIsoEntityContainerMediator/_onHiddenRewardAdded()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model.hiddenreward::HiddenRewardModel/_dispatchRewardAdded()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model.hiddenreward::HiddenRewardModel/_addStartedRewards()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model.hiddenreward::HiddenRewardModel/oneSecondTick()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model::ApplicationModel/_notifyTickObjects()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model::ApplicationModel/_oneSecondPassed()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model::ApplicationModel/_processTick()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.model::ApplicationModel/onTick()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.pbe.core::ProcessManager/advance()
    at de.innogames.strategycity.main.pbe.core::ProcessManager/onFrame()

Maybe it is the same error. I haven't time to compare it. But I get this error every time that i get relic. Click continue and keep playing game.

ZENA

Marquis
HERE IS PROOF that Inno use to much memory and again i will say it again and i can proof it
INNO MUST START UPDATE THY WEBSITE

Watch DRM content on Firefox
Digital Rights Management (DRM) is technology that enables online video and audio services to enforce that the content they provide is used in accordance with their requirements. This technology may restrict some of the things you can do in the browser. While some DRM-controlled content can be viewed using the Adobe Flash or Microsoft Silverlight plugin, many services are moving towards HTML5 video that requires a different DRM mechanism called a Content Decryption Module (CDM).

this was posted in the bug section and said been forward

Screenshot_60.png Screenshot_61.png

DeletedUser7942

HERE IS PROOF that Inno use to much memory and again i will say it again and i can proof it
INNO MUST START UPDATE THY WEBSITE

Watch DRM content on Firefox
Digital Rights Management (DRM) is technology that enables online video and audio services to enforce that the content they provide is used in accordance with their requirements. This technology may restrict some of the things you can do in the browser. While some DRM-controlled content can be viewed using the Adobe Flash or Microsoft Silverlight plugin, many services are moving towards HTML5 video that requires a different DRM mechanism called a Content Decryption Module (CDM).

this was posted in the bug section and said been forward

View attachment 2427 View attachment 2428
It's proven beyond a reasonable doubt that opening/closing various areas of the game causes memory to continually rise eventually crashing. We know this, the CM Zarok Dai knows it and even tested it
I just tried going in and out of the tech tree as well.
At 70 times I was at 3.995GB, on 71 Shockwave crashed.
Inno I guess knows but has never said anything. Why they are silent on the issue is a mystery. Maybe they are just going to ignore it until they switch to html5 and hope that fixes it, if they switch that is but that's a mystery as well if they will switch. Until that day comes all players can do is get more RAM and refresh.

DeletedUser7942

So I have officially reported this with the details on how to reproduce it. As I get more information I will pass it along to you all. Thanks for all of the information you have provided.
That is great to hear, hopefully we can get some feedback beyond a typical "we're aware of the issue" type response. Thank you very much for testing and forwarding the results.

DeletedUser

Wanted to post here as well as in today's daily changelog, we have released what we believe may be the fix for this issue.
Please let me know if it seems to be an improvement or not, thanks all.

DeletedUser7942

Wanted to post here as well as in today's daily changelog, we have released what we believe may be the fix for this issue.
Please let me know if it seems to be an improvement or not, thanks all.
My god I think you did it! On some quick initial testing I opened a ton of different parts of the game, saw an expected rise in memory but nothing too crazy. Tried opening/closing the research window a bunch of times like before and couldn't get it to go much over 400MB!:confused:

research window - Copy.PNG

Now we need someone to do a ton of GvG and see if they have any issues.

DeletedUser

My god I think you did it! On some quick initial testing I opened a ton of different parts of the game, saw an expected rise in memory but nothing too crazy. Tried opening/closing the research window a bunch of times like before and couldn't get it to go much over 400MB!:confused:

View attachment 2457

Now we need someone to do a ton of GvG and see if they have any issues.

Thank you for the update :)

RedRed

Viceroy
seems much better... After 10 battles in GE and some windows opened I see something like 100MB, a lot less than the usual 1GB of my live server (different era and less troops, still the improvement is real) :)
Hope it affects the Gvg as well (can't test it as for now)

Last edited:

DeletedUser7942

Just wanted to show another test even though it's fixed. I was concerned during previous testing about the Continent Map window test because I could only open/close it 20-25 times before crashing flash, so now I did it 50 times and now stable and just like some other recent tests I can't get the memory to rise much above 400 Mb whereas before it would go into multiple GB range, again tyvm Zarok Dai.

(image shows memory after 50 times opening/closing cmap)
cmap 50 times - Copy.PNG