• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Making Cities for the aesthetic

DeletedUser8561

So we all plan out our cities for the maximum benefit for everything. Like we try to use every little space and arrange our towns just so we can have a fully functioning powerhouse of a city. We rework our cities every new era or whenever we get a new building that is a different size that the last of its kind. I just experienced this through entering the modern era for the first time and survived that easily.

As a player for many years starting on the US servers and moving over to Beta, i have always wanted to make my cities look really nice and didn't want a city just full of SoK's or Terraces, or the same buildings repeating because they all make the most coins, supplies, had the goods deposit, or had the most population. My towns never looked like an actual nice town, it just looked like just a bunch of rows and grids of the same buildings with filler Victory Towers. I do like my town because it unique than other people's (the one i have here on beta if any wants to see it. Same as my user name: Ole Pootatoe) it's just not exactly like i wish it were to be.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same idea or something like me to have a town that was for more of the aesthetic side and not just for powering through the game and is so OP. Oh and if you do have a town based on having aesthetics or has a mix of aesthetics and being used to play with and works reply below.

Anyways idk what i was trying to say just is having a atheistic city possible

DeletedUser9410

I agree with what you are saying, it would be nice to have what looks like a real good looking city.
But i think most of us go for what works the best technically.
Iv seen a few people who try get a balance between the 2.

Emberguard

Emperor
My towns never looked like an actual nice town, it just looked like just a bunch of rows and grids of the same buildings with filler Victory Towers. I do like my town because it unique than other people's (the one i have here on beta if any wants to see it. Same as my user name: Ole Pootatoe) it's just not exactly like i wish it were to be.
Yes and no. Cities in the real world are normally fairly uniform rows of blocks because it's the most efficient way to fit everything in. At least for the major cities anyway

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Yes and no. Cities in the real world are normally fairly uniform rows of blocks because it's the most efficient way to fit everything in. At least for the major cities anyway

It depends how old they are.

Older cities often were built initially on projected segments from a curved waterline. It ends up with odd curvy roads that roughly match that curved waterline and sometimes as the city ages it's impractical to switch to a uniform grid.

Residential areas are often also not uniform grids in order to discourage their use for through traffic and encourage people to use the main artery roads for that purpose.

DeletedUser8859

City Style depends on Player's strategy, the buildings available, and his/her skills to layout the city among others. Strategy may include:
  • Maximize Space Efficiency
  • Maximize Attack Power
  • Maximize Defense
  • Maximize Production
  • Balance Attack/ Defense/ Production
  • Aesthetic Look

DeletedUser8859

In my cities I try for maximize space efficiency and group buildings by zones, examples:
  • GB and large buildings at the back and around the city perimeter.
  • Residential areas: If using same type of houses collecting is faster if they are together and not dispersed around the city.
  • Military
  • Supplies: similar to houses if production cycles are aligned it is faster to collect if they are togheter
  • Special Buildings, Seasonal, Sets, etc.
    • I tend to keep these together, for example if keeping a Graveyard at the city build around other Halloween themed buildings
    • If city is a diamond farm group WWs and FoY in pair of columns or rows.

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
So we all plan out our cities for the maximum benefit for everything. Like we try to use every little space and arrange our towns just so we can have a fully functioning powerhouse of a city. We rework our cities every new era or whenever we get a new building that is a different size that the last of its kind.

No, no...:p

Not everyone has the same style of play, or plays for the same reason. I couldn't care less about having a "powerhouse" of a city. I rework my cities when my OCD starts to make me itch and all I see is clutter (which tends to happen in my US-server cities). So, maybe once every three or so months just to clear away the detritus. :eek:

Despite the fact that this game has a PvP element, I play to relax. While there are exceptions, most of the buildings I have, I have because I like the look of them. I'm not here to win any competitions, so I don't have the same desires or needs that competitive players do. And that's alright. I don't expect what works for me to work for anyone else. But, yes, you can have an aesthetic city. :D

Tahrakaiitoo

Marquis
Anyways idk what i was trying to say just is having a atheistic city possible

If you don't mind a few things not being optimal, it's definitely possible. I have a largely aesthetic city on my main world - It still has part of it that has out-of-theme stuff, but I've kept a good core of it as a colonial harbor town.

Of course it's always under construction as more fitting stuff gets released.

Last edited:
Balance between effectiveness and aesthetic look is possible. I like to design areas in my city with an aesthetic look, like:
  • Farm area where buildings like the Golden Crops, Harvest Barn set, and Cider Mills are grouped. If adding a Terracota Vineyard set it would be at this Farm area.
  • Two Pirate ships and the Pirate Hideout set are at another corner, near the sea/bay at exterior of city, Lighthouse of Alexandria near it. Three (3) Colossus (tall statues that can be used as Lighthouses also in line with LOA).
  • Japan themed buildings like Himeji Castle, Cherry Garden Sets, Shinto Temple and three (3) Fire Pagodas also together. The Dojo was around there but was sent to storage to open space for a better building. Terracota Army no far from there.
  • Fiore Village, Atlhon Abbey and Governor's Villa also together, their tiles at roof and overall coloring is similar.