• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Introducing FoE as a separate application to play in laptop or PC (using internet and) without browser?

Will you support "Install & Play" Forge of Empires in PC/Laptop with internet and without browser?

• Total voters
Lot of technology improvement foreseen, but game is not having the option to get installed into the laptop and PC to play along with internet. Not expecting it to be like offline version. Really no clue, why it is not introduced in that category.

Many games able to do this, why can't my favorite FoE game to achieve this milestone?

UBERhelp1

Viceroy
You mean a downloadable client? That would be awesome, but I doubt it'll ever happen. You'd get basically the same experience as in the browser, so there's no reason to implement it. Loading times would improve a little, but not enough to make it worth it.

SlytherinAttack

Baronet
Baking Sudoku Master
Separate Beta app for desktop/laptop and normal app for desktop/laptop would be a interesting addition.

No need to worry about browser cacche, cookies, threats etc if the individual app introduced.

Worldwide mostly lot of pc/laptop game receives two weeks sprint development update, so opening the app itself update take place.

I like this very much!!

nice2haveu

Baronet
one for: windows
one for: mac os
one for: unix
and maybe other for other OS

o_O
So what.
Right now,
For browser support, firefox, chrome, opera, safari, edge, etc
For mobile support, iOS and Android.

But when it comes to PC/laptop, giving this reaction little absurd.

nice2haveu

Baronet
that are different versions of the game ?

and I thought that is the advantage of browser games
it only needs one version for all computers / OS / browsers
It can be handled wisely. Right now, mobile users also have the same problem. For any software or games in the computer, while opening if there are new version available, it will prompt the user.

So here, your point is, it will be prompted frequently especially in the beta app use-case. But if users signed up to test the beta, they can deal with it. It is not a big trouble to avoid the complete plan.

Normal app (non-beta) has some time frame to get bigger update. It will be in planned routine. For example, IDE plugins/editors (Komodo/Pycharm/visual studio) has the same trouble of getting bigger version update. But we are used to it. Some time, latest update cause trouble, we rollback to stable version. For PC games, PUBG, Apex etc are falls into same category. Those also have frequent updates. Also from our mobile, if we uncheck auto update from the apps stores, we get to know how many apps doing the frequent updates (versions changed), interestingly some mobile games are developed as a PC game too (like PUBG).

Beta King

Viceroy
As long as they removed access to the browser and made PC only accessible by the installed game it would kill the current method of using the browser's dev tools to spam json file for fast fighting but that might actually make it easier if it is an installed game I'm not sure.

nice2haveu

Baronet
As long as they removed access to the browser and made PC only accessible by the installed game it would kill the current method of using the browser's dev tools to spam json file for fast fighting but that might actually make it easier if it is an installed game I'm not sure.
In the installed game, they can easily prevent it. FoE team has complete control and can build higher security. They can ban the user who attempt that illegal action also if it is a separate app installed the game.

CrashBoom

Legend
it would also kill the FoeHelper

UBERhelp1

Viceroy
It's an underlying vulnerability with the game. They'd still have to send files back and forth to the installed app, and that can still be injected with the malicious files. You just wouldn't be typing into the console. Unless they also built an anti-cheat client into the game, there would be no difference in terms of scripts.

The only advantage an installed version would have is slightly faster loading times due to the images not having to be loaded. For example, your city layout wouldn't be stored locally, but rather sent to you every time you open the game. It is possible that an installed game would allow higher quality graphics (actually real-time rendering of the 3D models instead of the 2D sprites we have now?).

All in all though, I doubt that Inno would kill the browser version, even if they released an installable client. InnoGames is built on browser-based games, moving more towards mobile apps, and they can reach a much wider group of players by their games being accessible through a browser. That's actually one of the main reasons I joined the game, as my old laptop had an iGPU and couldn't handle most games, so I turned to browser games.

SlytherinAttack

Baronet
Baking Sudoku Master
It's an underlying vulnerability with the game. They'd still have to send files back and forth to the installed app, and that can still be injected with the malicious files. You just wouldn't be typing into the console. Unless they also built an anti-cheat client into the game, there would be no difference in terms of scripts.

The only advantage an installed version would have is slightly faster loading times due to the images not having to be loaded. For example, your city layout wouldn't be stored locally, but rather sent to you every time you open the game. It is possible that an installed game would allow higher quality graphics (actually real-time rendering of the 3D models instead of the 2D sprites we have now?).

All in all though, I doubt that Inno would kill the browser version, even if they released an installable client. InnoGames is built on browser-based games, moving more towards mobile apps, and they can reach a much wider group of players by their games being accessible through a browser. That's actually one of the main reasons I joined the game, as my old laptop had an iGPU and couldn't handle most games, so I turned to browser games.
As a game, browser dependent is flexible which is an added advantage since never heard of any "browser maintenance" downtime past two decades. In the future, if it happens everyone using browsers will opt to the install-able client or jump to the mobile version.

It would be better to stand with below statement,
"Browser problems are not FoE team problems and FoE team problems are not browser problems"