• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Halloween 2019

DeletedUser

Hallows are venerated objects or icons, you know, the very thing forbidden by god in form of but not limited to the golden calf ^^.
wat.jpg

Hallows are the Saints. Halloween is the day before All Saints' Day, or All Hallows' Day. It has nothing to do with Lucifer or the destruction of the world.
Let an agnostic ask you one question: what tf are you even talking about?

UBERhelp1

Viceroy
Awesome. Going by the name of the building on the fence, it's the asylum. Guessing it will subtract happiness like the black tower. I do like a halloween revamp of the archaeology event though.

Outlaw Dread

Baronet
wat.jpg

Hallows are the Saints. Halloween is the day before All Saints' Day, or All Hallows' Day. It has nothing to do with Lucifer or the destruction of the world.

Halloween's origins spring from the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, practiced over 2000 years ago by the Celts living in the areas now known as Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France. Samhain, was celebrated on their new year on November 1.The festival marked the end of summer and the time of harvesting crops, but it also meant the beginning of increasing dark, and cold as winter arrived. The Celts associated the bleakness of winter (e.g bare forests) with human death. They also believed that on the night before the new year (i.e 31 October), the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped. So the Celts would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off evil spirits and ghosts.
After the invasion and Roman conquest, around 47 AD, Samhain merged with 2 Roman festivals, one of which was Feralia, a day towards the end of October when Romans commemorated the their dead.
In 609 A.D., Pope Boniface IV dedicated the Pantheon in Rome to all Christian martyrs, establishing the Catholic feast of All Martyrs Day. Pope Gregory III in the 8th century expanded the festival to include "all saints" as well as all martyrs, and moved All Saints Day from May 13 to November 1. This was likely an effort by the Church to change a traditional, and entrenched, 'pagan' holiday into something the Church could tolerate better.
The evening before became to be called "All Hallows Eve", and later Halloween.
See the albany.edu/~dp1252/isp523/halloween DOT html

DeletedUser

@anyempire
Yep, I know.
But not relevant anymore today. Or do you actually see celtic cultists running around on the streets?

Outlaw Dread

Baronet
Celtic beliefs are still practice in some from or another in many communities and countries: Druidry for example is far from being a cult.
Christianity is barely a third of the world's religion, and that covers a lot of diversity across the various congregations. It's not at all relevant in many countries.
A bit of tolerance for the validity of other beliefs is always nice.

DeletedUser

Celtic beliefs are still practice in some from or another in many communities and countries: Druidry for example is far from being a cult.
Christianity is barely a third of the world's religion, and that covers a lot of diversity across the various congregations. It's not at all relevant in many countries.
A bit of tolerance for the validity of other beliefs is always nice.
Okay, I'm totally on the same page as you.
I know there are a few people still active in so-called dead cults. That's okay. May they believe and worship what ever they like. I did not want to attack them.
I also know, also first handed, there are a lot of people following said cults because they want to be cool and special. That's okay, too.

I did not want to minor any of these people. They are human at last and not less or more important than anybody else.

What I wanted to say and, I thought that would become clear in my first post: All Hallows Day and All Hallows' Eve are not really connected to Samhain anymore and people all over the western world don't even care about it. Christians used to convert almost all ancient/cult rituals to their benefit.

All Hallows' Eve is no demon-satan-death-of-the-known-world party. As was not Samhain, as you know.

As an agnostic atheist, I couldn't care less. Just don't wanted to let that statement about the "truth" behind Halloween stay there uncommented.

Actually what you meant to say, 6zeva9 & D-Best, ist that the term "Halloween" is derived from those old English words, D-Best got it right. But this derivation does little to clarify what the meaning is here.
Hallows are venerated objects or icons, you know, the very thing forbidden by God in form of but not limited to the golden calf ^^. Anyway, the word denotes the (material) attachments which tie you to the material world, so the enlightened, spiritual meaning of All Hallows Eve(n) as in the evening/ end of the attachments is, logically: Detachment.

The "dark side" really loves this holiday because "the destruction of the old world" meaning a world under god's rule, is an important prerequisite for a new (ungodly) world with its own artificial rules. New world order stuff if you will, Lucifer's dream.
Then, agnostic, which derives from greek and is understood as 'one who does not know', heed, if you will, the words of a gnostic who does know.
As I said: Hallows are venerated objects (which is true) or icons as in paragons or idols which can be a person or other and a representation of a person or other, be it a picture, image or sculpture.

I talked about the difference between knowing what word(s) another word comes from or what other words have a similar meaning and what it really means. For example: Somebody asks what 'satan' means, gets an answer 'the devil ...or lucifer'. The answer is not completely wrong, but really it is the answer to another question, something like 'what other names of the guy do you know?' The right answer is, satan (literally) means 'dark lord' or 'lord (sa) of darkness (tan)' or in one word 'shadow'. To this day, German has the word 'Schatten' which has the same root, meaning and almost sounds the same. Many people today know that 'lucifer' carrys a meaning to the effect of light-bringer or -bearer. It means something different and can point to the same "guy" -- but lucifer can also aptly describe the sun as in (day-)light-bringer or the brain as in bringer of the light of knowledge and reason.

Now: what is the world, what does it mean? Does it mean the earth? No. The world is everything we built on the planet, our buildings, structures, systems, thinking patterns. This is the stuff destroyed in the end times and on an individual level have to be destroyed but better, let go willingly so you can find your way home, back to God.
In this way, All Hallows Eve has everything to do with Lucifer, as he was the first one to fall, his dark side, his satan/ shadow becomes the icon for dark-siders while the light-siders adore the 'morning star', 'the light of the world' as soon as he successfully mastered Halloween, the end of all attachment to the material (ego), asks for forgiveness and sacrifices his mortal form to the well-being of those he loves.

qaccy

Emperor
I'm starting to want a building that comes with happiness on it. Halloween is an unlikely source for this, but I don't think I've seen a grand prize with happiness since the Tholos of Idols. Reason I want happiness is because I now have so many event buildings that provide population for no good reason that my city balance is getting thrown out of whack...

6zeva9

Baronet
If this Event does follow the Archaeology Event Model I hope that they do not offer the same identical prize twice, like it did every time you selected a certain vase, so that it had a combined percentage of 64% for one of three different prizes, luckily the prize was never a daily prize or it would have been available three times leaving only a 28% chance of getting the other prize.
I did raise it as an issue at the time but our Community Manager said there was nothing wrong even when a screen shot was presented to show it had nothing to do with Daily Prizes as she had explained.

DeletedUser4379

'I'm starting to want a building that comes with happiness on it. Halloween is an unlikely source for this . . .'.
Graveyard. It was around for years. Probably be available on one of the 'pop-up purchases' offer. Would be nice, however if it did show up as a prize of some type. I have two live cities where I need them and it's an 'old school' type of thing with me.

I'm starting to want a building that comes with happiness on it. Halloween is an unlikely source for this, but I don't think I've seen a grand prize with happiness since the Tholos of Idols. Reason I want happiness is because I now have so many event buildings that provide population for no good reason that my city balance is getting thrown out of whack...

carrousel has happiness on it, and attack/defense bonuses :p

qaccy

Emperor
Eh, I was thinking specifically in regards to the 'grand prize' buildings that have upgrades. They're almost always residential buildings and as such, provide a significant chunk of population. I'd argue that some of them don't even make sense to provide population, but that's neither here nor there. The Tholos could just as easily have provided population instead, just as the Colossus could have provided happiness instead. I'd just like to see more in general that offer happiness since right now the scale leans heavily towards population...

I'll admit that I've also become spoiled by these buildings that produce multiple resources at once and usually require an aid click to do so. Because of that, I'd rather avoid anything that only provides happiness or otherwise falls into the polish category, even if it's a fairly good building for that purpose like the Carousel or various forms of the Graveyard.

Beta-OD

Squire
I'd just like to see more in general that offer happiness since right now the scale leans heavily towards population...

I agree with this completely, way more population being added than happiness, to the point where finding spots for the 'add X happiness' quests are a bit of a pain.

And almost as importantly, can it be plundered?!?