• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Do Not Suggest Greater Runestone needs a buff now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dursland

Merchant
Reason
Greater Runestone is supposed to be a good building and it isn't anymore.
Details
Not only have event buildings gotten better over time but we have the nutcracker guardhouse which completely outclasses the greater runestone. Even at level 5 the runestone can't compete.
Balance
This would rebalance the runestone and bring it up-to-date with other buildings.
Abuse Prevention
No issues that I can see.
Summary
The runestone is supposed to be special and it just isn't anymore.
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
Searched for runestone and read dnsl
Proposal: Buff the Greater Runestone from Vikings Settlement

Details: Not only have event buildings gotten better over time but we have the nutcracker guardhouse which completely outclasses the greater runestone. Even at level 5 the runestone can't compete.

Yggdrasil was buffed, and I think the runestone needs another looking at as well. Greater Runestone is supposed to be a good building and it isn't anymore.

Balance: This would rebalance the runestone and bring it up-to-date with other buildings.

Abuse Prevention: No issues that I can see.

Summary: The runestone is supposed to be special and it just isn't anymore.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.

beelzebob666

Overlord
Pathfinder
Spoiler Poster
When did that happen? What buff?
I guess, he means the buff that it got during beta testing?

PS: not sure exactly when the change happened, but it is only in the fandom wiki after June 2019,
before that level 9 only gave:
1670333234787.png
So it might well be, that this were the values for about half a year

Last edited:

Demeter7

Squire
I'm not sure that the Nutcracker Guardhouse is necessarily greater than the Runestone. It depends what you want in a building. Most of us want the A/D, which makes Nutcracker better. But for someone just starting out, or a farmer, the Runestone might be better, offering coins, medals and a good.

They are just different, and having different options gives everyone a choice of use of space. Some might like both to balance things.

MooingCat

Viceroy
Spoiler Poster
I guess, he means the buff that it got during beta testing?

PS: not sure exactly when the change happened, but it is only in the fandom wiki after June 2019,
before that level 9 only gave:
View attachment 8674
So it might well be, that this were the values for about half a year

We have also buffed Yggdrasil so it gives an increased Army Boost and Goods output.

That was in June 2019, 5 months after release (according to fandom wiki)

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I think in general when it comes to settlements, they are just going to slowly get dated when it comes to their time rewards (which have to compete with event buildings). And that the runestone and dojo already are (and were before the nutcracker). I can't imagine a buff to the time rewards going forward.

The main rewards have a fair barrier between them and event buildings that they should be good for many years to come. The one after-the-fact buff of yggdrassil came as they were reevaluating the initial success of settlements. There was a lot of "oh crap, now I have to do it" from people who had originally ignored settlements.

I'm not sure that the Nutcracker Guardhouse is necessarily greater than the Runestone. It depends what you want in a building. Most of us want the A/D, which makes Nutcracker better. But for someone just starting out, or a farmer, the Runestone might be better, offering coins, medals and a good.

They are just different, and having different options gives everyone a choice of use of space. Some might like both to balance things.

The nutcracker is better than the runestone and the obelisk both. Noone's using runestones and obelisks for goods (there's better buildings for that). And the nutcracker has more attack than the runestone and more defense than the obelisk and more FP than either.

But it's also not straightforward to get a city full of nutcrackers. So it doesn't completely invalidate them even though it's better.

Ironrooster

Baronet
The Greater Runestone should increase it's attack through the ages. +2 attack and 2 Fp's might be good in the Iron Age but the attack boost should increase through the Ages and Eras like most of the event buildings.

The one I have is still in LMA even though my city is in SAAB, because the attack boost never changes and one good/day isn't worth the renovation kit.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
The Greater Runestone should increase it's attack through the ages. +2 attack and 2 Fp's might be good in the Iron Age but the attack boost should increase through the Ages and Eras like most of the event buildings.

The one I have is still in LMA even though my city is in SAAB, because the attack boost never changes and one good/day isn't worth the renovation kit.
None of the settlement buildings change through the ages (or GBG or GE). Such always-on features are meant to provide static buffs and relatively high for early ages while still relevant to later ages. Which the runestone did when it was new. It's just now it's also old :)

Buildings that change through the ages tend to be weaker for early ages overall than the ones that change; i.e. if you're focused on an early age combat world you care a lot more about wheat fields and great elephants than eagle mountains or nutcracker guardhouses.

Dursland

Merchant
It's true buildings get outdated but there's nothing that says we can't buff them - especially the timed rewards from settlement. Scaling by era is a great idea, that would allow newer players to get it without the rewards being out of hand.

We already have precedent in Yggdrasil so makes sense to move forward with this. Seems most players are on board with the idea so it's up to the devs.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
It's true buildings get outdated but there's nothing that says we can't buff them - especially the timed rewards from settlement. Scaling by era is a great idea, that would allow newer players to get it without the rewards being out of hand.

We already have precedent in Yggdrasil so makes sense to move forward with this. Seems most players are on board with the idea so it's up to the devs.
A shock, most players are on board with getting extra bonus for nothing ;)

Yggdrassil was a very different situation. It's a 1-of building, the main prize of the settlement, not something you stack up in your city. And it was a one-time thing near the start of settlements. Not a promise to keep updating it.

*if* they decided there needed to be a better time incentive for running vikings, the proper path would not be buffing the existing building but creating a new better one. But as time rewards are just a little bonus, I think it more likely they'd consider it for a new settlement. If you don't want extra runestones, run a different settlement.

CrashBoom

Legend
btw: the SoK is still worse
it should get a level 3 first :D

and isn't that on the DNSL ? "Changes to existing rewards."
the greater runestone is the reward for doing the settlements in time :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.