• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

GBG algorithm

Nessie

Baronet
Did InnoGames change the GBG sorting algorithm without informing us?
- or where can I find that information?

Nessie

Baronet
thanks xivarmy :) I'm sure all second class guilds are very happy about it - only most are too weak or too inexperienced to make anything of it.
So it hardly helps anyone, but harms many

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
thanks xivarmy :) I'm sure all second class guilds are very happy about it - only most are too weak or too inexperienced to make anything of it.
So it hardly helps anyone, but harms many

Many were asking for this - and not only the second class guilds. Some of the top guilds were getting tired of the same group makeup roughly week after week. I don't think it's going to solve things as much as people might hope for, but it won't harm anyone much.

Nessie

Baronet
Some of the top guilds were getting tired of the same group makeup roughly week after week

Very sorry but this statement is not very credible. If you all might take a look at the cities of the top 10 or experienced players: they all prioritize attack / defense buildings for attacking army = GBG

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Very sorry but this statement is not very credible. If you all might take a look at the cities of the top 10 or experienced players: they all prioritize attack / defense buildings for attacking army = GBG

What does that have to do with them not wanting to face the same guilds every week?

Some of the top guilds were getting tired of the same group makeup roughly week after week

That is not only completely credible. It is very much an understatement LOL

I am in a top fighting guild. on the live servers we know before GBG starts that we have the choice of claiming the whole map and doing nothing for the rest of the season, or farming with the same 2 friendly guilds and virtually the same less able guilds every season. We no longer delete the Diplo thread between seasons we are so sure of what the set up is going to be. We could even just copy and paste the tile rotations from season to season if we wanted to. There is no fighting, no strategy and no fun involved whatsoever. If it were not for GvG we (and our other farming partners) would be going nuts. Much as we love those guys we do not want to see them in GBG again for a loooooong time. It has got so bad the only challenge seems to be to race each other to see who can get the most fights in before a hold is reached.

Yes our cities prioritize the fighting GBs and Event buildings, We have done so for years. Long before GBG was ever around. It has nothing to do with our military standing. That is Purely the result of GvG. The fact that it helps is GBG is because we were already set up like that. GE can be done on auto battle and the new PvP Arena is not much better. And GBG is the farce that it is.

Last edited:
I'm sure all second class guilds are very happy about it

That is kind of insulting. Yes I am also sure some of what you describe as second class guilds are very happy about this. But a lot younger guilds looking to grow. They are still building their abilities? They have worked hard to be good enough for Diamond league, They want to get stronger. But are sensible enough to know they are not as yet up to taking the top guilds. They look and see the same top guilds and know there is no point in even trying, so they agree to farm for a lesser position. That has got to be depressing. How do a good guild founder and his leaders continue to motivate members when faced with this week in and week out? They are desperate to get up against guilds of their own level of ability. A growing guild NEEDS that challenge or it stagnates.

Last edited:

Nessie

Baronet
Meanwhile I look out for your comments @Lady Redneck. I give you a like :)
Yes my post is kind of insulting and means to be just that.

Strong guilds or guilds being able to handle GBG somehow will still find their GBG-partner, so changing the algorithm to random is useless.
Strong guilds might even teach an active guild how to cooperate.

All this nonsense from InnoGames about changing the algorithm mainly results in
1. I and with me many players get less FP from GBG fights
2. increased expenditure of time for GBG leaders to communicate with other guilds

maybe I forgot something :)

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator

Strong guilds or guilds being able to handle GBG somehow will still find their GBG-partner, so changing the algorithm to random is useless.

2. increased expenditure of time for GBG leaders to communicate with other guilds

Not every player *wants* GBG to be for farming. Some strong guilds want different opponents for a real fight. Some strong guilds want different opponents because they're exhausted fighting their rival week after week.

The guilds this "hurts" are likely actually tier 2 guilds that rely on it for farming but can't keep up with the *real* tier 1 on their server that through luck was not in their not-so-random group :p

If you're *really* top tier you'll be able to find sycophants in your group to swap with in 1000, always :p and not have it threatened by other guilds because you're still stronger than them ;)

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
GBG serves only one purpose: to farm as many FP as you can. What else is this mindless pastime good for?

GvG is dead because InnoGames does not have the codes under control

What does anyone still really need yet more FP for?

GBG was supposed to be the outlet, a place to fight that scaled to keep giving you something to strive for (as opposed to GvG where the outdated stats mean you don't really need anything more).

Not that making 1000 random will fix that :p But I frankly don't give a crap about farming more FP. I want *something* fun in the game. And *maybe* then I'll have a reason to care about more FP to get better at it :p

CrashBoom

Legend

if you can't adapt to changes than YOUR guild is NOT a strong guild
:D

you are lazy and sit on old rules
but maybe this change teach your guild how to get better

so
a) your guild is really a strong guild. this change is no problem for you
b) your guild has problems because of this simple change. then it never was a strong guild in the first place. it was only a lucky guild with opponents they got

If you're *really* top tier ...
no they aren't
because
If you're *really* top tier you wouldn't complain

Last edited:
GBG serves only one purpose: to farm as many FP as you can. What else is this mindless pastime good for?

GBG was NOT designed so that guilds could farm FPs. That is an assumption that shows little if any real knowledge of the game. (if it was said seriously) GBG was an attempt to implement a cross platform battle scenario that would allow all parts of the FoE community to come together . It was hoped it would encourage guild loyalties and war strategies as GvG does. As many guilds have members in different time zones, the 4 hour recalc as opposed to the 24 hr GVG recalc, was to allow all members to be able to experience the war game experience in a similar way that they do with GvG. But just like GvG it had basic flaws that could, and have been exploited. So players, took advantage of that thinking they were being oh so clever. And are now "reaping" the boring results. Unless of course they think the object of the game is to mindlessly collect "stuff". I play in two guilds on the live server. One is a #1 war guild. The other is a young guild in a newer world. We recognize our limitations there, so are prepared to be patient as we grow. So we plod on with GBG as one of the ways to build our resources and guild treasury. And in both guilds we do some serious crying between ourselves at how pathetic GBG has turned out to be as far as war goes. In both these guilds (despite the rewards) GBG is seen almost as a necessary evil.

GvG is dead because InnoGames does not have the codes under control

As for GvG. No it is not dead. INNO DEVs were honest enough to admit that because of the inherent flaws it had, they could no longer develop it any further. so they were leaving it as it is. In my main world We have serious and always hilarious fun playing GvG. Guild loyalty has been built up over the years. We have made good friends with some guilds and real enemies of others. I have played in almost all worlds and there are similar guilds in them all. In my 2nd world, we hope the end result for our patience will be the ability to cut it in GvG. We already know which of the big guilds are decent and which are just bully boys. We have an occasional foray into GvG to give new players a taste of just how interesting and fun the strategy behind real fighting can be.

Maybe the present owners of the company would like to get rid of the baggage and turn it into something different. They inhereted a huge very loyal following along with the "Forge of Empires" name. How to keep them on board but also encourage new players in a way that keeps them all happy is proving very difficult. Especially as they do not have prog designers who have the ability to design a proper war game element to work along side the itty bitty phone type games. I have heard all the triumphant "GvG is dead" waffle. Yes maybe the new INNO would like to ditch it. But not without a serious replacement. GBG has proved, (as far as a war aspect goes) to be a failure.

Last edited:

Owl II

Emperor
As for GvG. No it is not dead. INNO DEVs were honest enough to admit that because of the inherent flaws it had, they could no longer develop it any further. so they were leaving it as it is. In my main world We have serious and always hilarious fun playing GvG. Guild loyalty has been built up over the years. We have made good friends with some guilds and real enemies of others. I have played in almost all worlds and there are similar guilds in them all. In my 2nd world, we hope the end result for our patience will be the ability to cut it in GvG. We already know which of the big guilds are decent and which are just bully boys. We have an occasional foray into GvG to give new players a taste of just how interesting and fun the strategy behind real fighting can be.

Maybe the present owners of the company would like to get rid of the baggage and turn it into something different. They inhereted a huge very loyal following along with the "Forge of Empires" name. How to keep them on board but also encourage new players in a way that keeps them all happy is proving very difficult. Especially as they do not have prog designers who have the ability to design a proper war game element to work along side the itty bitty phone type games. I have heard all the triumphant "GvG is dead" waffle. Yes maybe the new INNO would like to ditch it. But not without a serious replacement. GBG has proved, (as far as a war aspect goes) to be a failure.
No, it's not dead. It is more than not dead. The guild ranking is based on it. There may not be much fun in this. There may be fun only for dinosaurs who still remember the time when there was no mobile version of FOE. It could have been even the most disgusting gameplay in the history of games. But as long as the guild ranking depends on the GVG, it will live

Last edited: