• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Finding incidents hidden behind buildings

Umbrathor

Baronet
The goal of this discussion is to:
  • brainstorm ways to make it easier to find incidents hidden behind buildings
  • find out whether people think it should be easier to find incidents hidden behind buildings
  • if so, which option(s) are preferred
If there is enough support for the idea, I will then post a Suggestion in that forum.

The importance of locating hidden incidents has increased since incidents were first introduced, as they sometimes yield event currency. So I often find using every tool at my disposal to try and locate the hidden incidents. Currently, I use:
  • FoE Helper that tells me how many incidents are on the map, what type they are (nature, water, small road, big road) and an icon for each incident. Players who don't use Foe Helper do not even whether any hidden incidents exist. They probably lose event currency (and other prizes) that way.
  • Mouseover roads with the 'move' tool to make buildings that block the view of the road transparent
  • Clicking on other players' cities and then back to my own city, since that relocates all existing incidents, in the hope of them showing up in places where I can find them more easily. Clicking the 'reconstruction' button in the building menu does the same, but it is not available to all players.
A few suggestions for making it easier to locate incidents:
  1. Have an indicator of the number of incidents currently in your city in-game (to even the playing field with people who use Foe Helper)
  2. Easiest to implement: increase the transparency of buildings when you mouseover roads with the ‘move’ command from the building menu
  3. Make incidents glow more brightly once every so often, and make that glow affect a bigger area, so it is easier to spot when the incident is hidden by a building (not ideal – when the view is completely blocked by a building, the glow may still not be visible). I read that on Mobile, incidents are ealready easier to find. It is only fair to extend that to the PC version.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions!

Umbrathor

Baronet
Oops, I forgot to add that in the Community Sprint thread, someone made a suggestion to extend the bigger glow for incidents that is available for mobile users to pc users . In the post above I added more possible solutions.

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
1. Have an indicator of the number of incidents currently in your city in-game (to even the playing field with people who use Foe Helper)
suggested by the Beta community for the sprint.
1. Easiest to implement: increase the transparency of buildings when you mouseover roads with the ‘move’ command from the building menu
2.Make incidents glow more brightly once every so often, and make that glow affect a bigger area, so it is easier to spot when the incident is hidden by a building (not ideal – when the view is completely blocked by a building, the glow may still not be visible). I read that on Mobile, incidents are ealready easier to find. It is only fair to extend that to the PC version.
suggested by the French community for the sprint.

Umbrathor

Baronet
Thanks, Deadpool, didn't know they had already been suggested on other forums. Did they get many likes?

Feodor

Farmer
If you play on phone, you can move a big building over your city, and the incidents are collected. I'd like the same for computers.

NormaJeane

Viceroy
Personally I'd like to see road incidents removed completely, just make them appear outside the city or in the waters. There are enough places for them to appear, I don't see any reason why they have to be on roads as well :)

Imho, the above would be the easiest solution to implement. :)
It is indeed a nuisance to look for incidents when hidden on roads behind buildings. Putting them only in the fields surrounding the city will for sure relieve the irritation-level of many players.

Emberguard

Emperor
EXCEPT for ocean age. (bug or forgetfulness?)
deliberate. All ages from Oceanic and above behave that way. Zarok Dai posted the reason in Beta back when they were the CM here.
So, just to be clear this is not a bug.
What is occurring is we block certain 2x2 road incidents, especially in OF an VF as the incidents (for example a pothole) make no sense on these types of roads.
This doesn't mean you get less incidents, it just means they won't be on your 2x2 roads.

What is easier?
  • Make a rule that incidents cant appear on a 2x road from X age and above?
  • Or create an incident that only appears on 2x road of X age? or X age and above? (Whale on his back on an OF road?)

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
What is easier?
  • Make a rule that incidents cant appear on a 2x road from X age and above?
  • Or create an incident that only appears on 2x road of X age? or X age and above? (Whale on his back on an OF road?)
This solution is the easiest and best:

Imho, the above would be the easiest solution to implement. :)
It is indeed a nuisance to look for incidents when hidden on roads behind buildings. Putting them only in the fields surrounding the city will for sure relieve the irritation-level of many players.
No need for complex, confusing constructions/rules. Just do as Norma suggested and everything will be much better.:)

I got rid of foehelper and now I'm blissfully unawares of the road incidents again. :)

Not like incidents give anything useful, they could get rid of them all and I'd play the game the same.

Titania

Merchant
Someone wrote:
  • FoE Helper that tells me how many incidents are on the map, what type they are (nature, water, small road, big road) and an icon for each incident. Players who don't use Foe Helper do not even whether any hidden incidents exist. They probably lose event currency (and other prizes) that way.
Is the use of "FoE Helper" allowed?

Thunderdome

Emperor
Is the use of "FoE Helper" allowed?
Gathered from communications all across the board (different forums, Facebook, etc.) and reading from their (FoE Helper) site, it seems legal to use and players won't get busted/banned for it. It was told that the developer of the extension and Inno are working together to ensure the extension does not violate any rules for playing. I'm just gathering from my point of view and welcome anyone out there with the full 4-1-1 on this to better explain.

FoE Helper has been a really good thing for me as I am able to "figure out" where the incidents were hiding as opposed to try and finding them in the PC version (75% of the time they are on the roads that are easily blocked by buildings or other objects). In the mobile version, they will glow brighter so we can just tap on it and collect.

Other than event currency, and maybe forge points, I find no use for incidents or the incentive for them. I get 720 coin for each one I find through Contemporary; I get 1.5 million a day through my city. I get 720 supplies for other times; I get over 300k supplies each day. I cannot tell folks on the massive number of self-help kits I've been getting through incidents, event prizes, or GE (I'm thinking that Inno is doing this on purpose). Then again, it can be for anything that Inno throws at us.

For once, I would like to see incidents sprout troops or some desired items to make them worthy of collecting/clicking. Then again, that would be like me asking for a toilet seat made of gold that I will never get.

Last edited:

drax

Merchant
Pathfinder
Have a change of view, i.e. rotate city 90/180/270/360 degrees. This would be so useful for many things not just incidents hiding behind big buildings