• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Ongoing Changelog w/c 9th April

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date
I can not support the name change! Even if this change should relieve the support somewhat for the purpose of name change requests, because it contains a typo or it is a generated app name.

With this function, however, you open a new gate for lies and cheating.

Lies: Quickly you can damage the reputation of certain players by accepting their names and harassing or insulting other players. This works best with the big "i" and the little "L".
Cheating: People who do not regularly hold agreements are known at some point and no one goes into business with them. The name change gives them a new identity and they can start their unfair game again! "
Also, people who were thrown out of the guild because of their behavior could gain new entry, because they know no one else.

And 50 ridiculous diamonds hold no one to change the name often. That's easy to do with a week of GEX.

It is NOT a thoughtful feature.

My solution:
The name can only change X weeks (eg 8 weeks) after account creation, then it is fixed. That should be enough time to correct typing errors.

-------
I've been playing the game for almost 6 years now, so I know that once programmed, it's also built into the game. No matter what people say.

If you install it, the cost of the diaries will increase significantly (2000 or more). That should slow down the effect for cheaters.

DeletedUser

Another problem with name changing.
We have an ignore feature, and we put people/players on that list for a reason, the ignore feature will be pretty worthless if players can change their names, and thats NO good.

So insted of using time on players that want their name changed, now support will have to use time on complaints from players getting loads of spam from player that WAS on the ignore list.

DeletedUser

We have an ignore feature, and we put people/players on that list for a reason, the ignore feature will be pretty worthless if players can change their names, and thats NO good.
you put names on the list
the game puts player IDs on it
the ID doesn't change

DeletedUser7942

man, I dread having to rekick all them bad guildies when they come back under a new name, over and over and over:eek:

DeletedUser7942

you put names on the list
the game puts player IDs on it
the ID doesn't change
that's got me thinking about this site http://foestats.com/ they use an ID tag as well, here's mine

http://foestats.com/zz/zz1/players/profile/?server=zz1&world=Dunarsund&id=135223

see at the end there it has id=135223 so I'm wondering, if say you have that current link then I go change my name when that site updates with the new name will it retain the id or make a new one. Not sure but I might test it later. This may be a solution for some before it goes live though you would have to go beforehand and save the link to the name you know and if this works then when they change their name you'll know who it is.

edit: okay I changed my name so when they update that offsite I'll see what happens.

Edit update: Yep, this works, so if you have someone on Live stalking you go get there URL now on that site and save it, then if they change their name it will take you that same person with their new name displayed now. cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7951

Pretty sure external sites also uses ID number to keep track of players, but seriously that is such a fuss. This is a bad idea, scrap it. Make it a 6 months limit from when you started the game, or an option up to EMA age or something, but only once. any more they would have to go to support with a very very very valid reason.

I can't see why anyone would think it's a good idea to let players changes names whenever they feel like it. I can however see why they don't want their support to be flooded with requests like this, but once should suffices for most people. And I'm all for any suggestion to avoid support. I had the misfortune to have had dealings (just a simple question) on my live server. Not an experience I'd like to repeat. But to go from that to this... *shakes* head* stupid.

DeletedUser7942

Just wanted to bump this to show the solution for anyone interested, read my comment above and find out how.

DeletedUser7779

i will try to explain why this name change feature is that bad from my perspective. no one will care, but at least i can vent.

this game is highly dependent on the social factor. inno never got that. (that's why there are still no guild profiles in the apps. you want people to stay in the game? let them finally apply to good guilds and not just random ones. more players will keep playing, because of better communication and trading options.)

when i started out i used to chat with guild mates and globally daily. you could discuss city layouts, trade problems and tips on the game at any given time. of course you also get to know some unpleasant people, but do you instantly ignore them? no, ignoring disrupts the chat, because you can only see half of the conversation and if you ignore multiple people you have no clue who and how many of them are online and whether they are insulting you.

when playing gvg i sometimes need to contact some people i hardly ever talk to and do not have on my friend list. how can i know if i already talked to them in the past? i can't, the name might be different now. same thing goes for new members trying to apply: if we're at war with their former guild, i'd say no, but after a name change i cannot know if they are telling the truth, because i can't ask around.

another issue: players can sell their accounts even better now, because the buyer can change their name. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

many endgame players sell goods for forge points and they depend on their good name. word travels fast if you scam, but not with this new cheap feature of yours.

other things were already mentioned.

Very well said, I agree with all points.

Surely one name change a year is enough for anyone, allowing unrestricted changes will offer scammers and rogue traders anonymity and will allow one player to select an almost identical name to another, this will lead to confusion, whether deliberate or not. There are already guilds who deliberately change their name to appear as another, this change will just make things worse.
That is my main concern! In my previous guild (top on Server) we had 3 enemy guilds change Name and Flag similar to ours to cause confusion. And worst thing is that it worked - a friendly guild attacked us in GVG because they thought we were the fake one. Now imagine what would happen if an enemy guild changes name and all their members change names too! It would be almost a 1:1 copy of our guild. Very very bad idea, Inno!!!!!!

Like others proposed, if this change is only to reduce the support tickets regarding a name change, please make it available only once! Every 180 days is just ridiculuos.

DeletedUser7942

Block them from rejoin then.
I guess that's some trick I haven't learned, how do you block someone from joining/applying to a guild? And even if I could I can't retrospectively do that to them all, I mean it's the name that typically triggers the memory of what someone has done and if they change it I won't know that. But I guess it's no biggie, I mean if they want in that badly okay but we'll most likely have to kick em again for most likely whatever the reasons were we kicked em before, not the first time we've had to kick the same person more than once, just now will be more difficult and repetitive.

Luke Stark

Marquis
Block them from rejoin then. Changing user name will not get around that block.

Nothing confirmed yet.

Thanks for the update, a lot of people are thrilled to get this feature online, due to being unable to get their nick as they started the game or are bored of their old one. I have played a few online games with this feature and indeed a 180 days or more is a great idea, people will think twice before doing "jokes" or "scams"

about joining the guild - in my guild we do not look at the name of the player as much as his or her city and history via foestats :) so we are not scared of any potential threats that this feature could bring.

in few other online games this feature was a nice addition and welcomed with positive feedback after it settled in. To new players that joined the game after it became possible was just a great feature....after few years of playing I would like to change my nickname in the game to my original from other games, that was at the time used bo some other player that has ended the game later on.

DeletedUser7942

about joining the guild - in my guild we do not look at the name of the player as much as his or her city and history via foestats :) so we are not scared of any potential threats that this feature could bring.

If you run a guild long enough you'll find you'll end up kicking people for all kinds of reasons. It's not a matter of being scared of potential threats but of quality of life when running a guild. As it is most players that have been kicked are typically for not adhering to guild requirements so not so big deal if they come back under a new name because if they do it again we simply kick em again. The name change simply makes that more of a problem because whereas before you could say oh we had him here before and kicked for such and such, now we won't know that if they change their name.

Then there's the nefarious ones, pathetic trolls who like to cause trouble, of course they can't really cause any real damage as typically you don't give rights right away and it's not like spies are unusual however this change of course makes getting over your bad reputation with a simple click of the mouse so again just adds unnecessary frustration that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

DeletedUser7265

I like the option to rename your nick. I understand the problems annnounced here, but they could easily be avoided by showing the old names of a player when you hover his name e.g. or click on his name and chose "name history" or something like that.

Dessire

Regent
OH!! PLEASE BRING THIS TO THE OTHER SERVERS!!!

one of the things i most hate is that when you create your account nothing says you "your user name will be your in-game name too!!"

when i made my account (not in this server) i used as "user name" for my account the same user name i used for my "the-west" account in 2008 but when i logged in to the game and saw my in game name was the same word i picked for my user name account i was very upset, angry, and any "FoE" support couldn't help me, now with this feature ill be able to change it! finaly!

if you want to limit the number of "changes" just let the first time for free and the second one available for 1000 diamonds or let us change the game for a 2nd time after 6 months for 500 diamonds :3

NormaJeane

Viceroy
OH!! PLEASE BRING THIS TO THE OTHER SERVERS!!!

one of the things i most hate is that when you create your account nothing says you "your user name will be your in-game name too!!"

when i made my account (not in this server) i used as "user name" for my account the same user name i used for my "the-west" account in 2008 but when i logged in to the game and saw my in game name was the same word i picked for my user name account i was very upset, angry, and any "FoE" support couldn't help me, now with this feature ill be able to change it! finaly!

if you want to limit the number of "changes" just let the first time for free and the second one available for 1000 diamonds or let us change the game for a 2nd time after 6 months for 500 diamonds :3

User name on all InnoGames games (and as far as I know on other browser games as well) equals in-game name. When you started to play "The West" once upon a time in 2008 your username was also your in-game name. So I really do not understand why you are so upset about this. Of course, maybe I miss something in your argumentation, if so: please enlighten me!

With regard to being able to change your username on FoE:
For the time being it has been disabled, as some further work is required and related issues need to be handled first. When/how it might return, is something that the CM will notify once that's to happen. :)

InnoGames GTC on (User)Name:
Art. 4 Name

4.1 As the User, you will chose a player name as an alias to participate in the Games ("User Name"). You are not entitled to be allocated a specific User Name.
4.2 We are entitled to change or delete the User Name not only for technical but also for ethical or legal reasons without the requiring your approval.

Last edited: