• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Ongoing Changelog w/c 9th April

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

DeletedUser

with this change i (and everyone else with a lowercase L or an uppercase i) would be incredibly vulnerable to someone taking "my name". anyone could call themself "outoftheiine" with an uppercase i and start insulting people. in chat you could not see any difference. of course, this can also happen already with someone creating a new account just for that, but this would be against the rules, because most of the time they already have an account on that world.

one change a year or only one name change at all per account would be fine with me. this is not. after almost five years of playing this game i got to know a bunch of unpleasant players i's rather not run into a second time. i do not want to extend my ignore list to infinity. btw, the ignore list itself is also a problem, because you cannot see it yourself, you have to memorize the people you ignore or make a list somewhere else.

Miepie

Baronet
I can understand you should be able to change your name once, ok, for those who keep choosing badly, once every 365 days, that's more than enough. And that should be done by creating a support ticket. Anybody who wants to change their names more often probably want to do so to "hide" from their enemies and that shouldn't be possible. So inno should change this back.

RedRed

Viceroy
i do not want to extend my ignore list to infinity.
except very bad design of the ignore list this shouldn't be a problem; for the game mechanics a player is identified simply by an unique ID (you can see your in the settings panel). This is immutable, hence who is ignored it will stay ignored even changing his nickname 100 times per day (however, I agree that even 1 time per year would be above the needs of the vast majority of players).

Last edited:

DeletedUser16

strange, it worked for me
We will patch that :).

the ignore list this shouldn't be a problem; for the game mechanics a player is identified simply by an unique ID (you can see your in the settings panel). This is immutable, hence who is ignored it will stay ignored even changing his nickname 100 times per day
That's right. Username change should not affect ignore lists etc.

I can understand you should be able to change your name once, ok, for those who keep choosing badly, once every 365 days, that's more than enough. And that should be done by creating a support ticket. Anybody who wants to change their names more often probably want to do so to "hide" from their enemies and that shouldn't be possible. So inno should change this back.
Why would support need to get involved though?

DeletedUser16

Names that are inappropriate are rejected by the game system anyway (as far as possible, of course), in the same way as when registering a new account. Naturally, that protection is not perfect, so when reported, our support teams react. This does not change here.

What I meant is - if restricted to once per year, why would support still need to get involved :).

Queen Amaria

Steward
Naturally, that protection is not perfect, so when reported, our support teams react. This does not change here.
You can only report, if just problems have happened. And cheating under a foreign name is not prohibited per se.
When this is introduced, interactions between players are much more dangerous. How should you check? Who should one be able to trust?

DeletedUser8262

Surely one name change a year is enough for anyone, allowing unrestricted changes will offer scammers and rogue traders anonymity and will allow one player to select an almost identical name to another, this will lead to confusion, whether deliberate or not. There are already guilds who deliberately change their name to appear as another, this change will just make things worse.

On a seperate topic, i've had to switch back to the flash version because of the constant twitching units on the battle screen, after 20 mins it produced a feeling not unlike motion sickness, hopefully the fix for this will arrive soon

DeletedUser

i will try to explain why this name change feature is that bad from my perspective. no one will care, but at least i can vent.

this game is highly dependent on the social factor. inno never got that. (that's why there are still no guild profiles in the apps. you want people to stay in the game? let them finally apply to good guilds and not just random ones. more players will keep playing, because of better communication and trading options.)

when i started out i used to chat with guild mates and globally daily. you could discuss city layouts, trade problems and tips on the game at any given time. of course you also get to know some unpleasant people, but do you instantly ignore them? no, ignoring disrupts the chat, because you can only see half of the conversation and if you ignore multiple people you have no clue who and how many of them are online and whether they are insulting you.

when playing gvg i sometimes need to contact some people i hardly ever talk to and do not have on my friend list. how can i know if i already talked to them in the past? i can't, the name might be different now. same thing goes for new members trying to apply: if we're at war with their former guild, i'd say no, but after a name change i cannot know if they are telling the truth, because i can't ask around.

another issue: players can sell their accounts even better now, because the buyer can change their name. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

many endgame players sell goods for forge points and they depend on their good name. word travels fast if you scam, but not with this new cheap feature of yours.

other things were already mentioned.

DeletedUser8262

Do you have clear steps that causes this to happen?

Yes, fight any battle manually. Hover tanks are the worst, they constantly move slightly forward then back and every few seconds the gun turrets shiver, but all units are moving in a similar way. I have noticed this affecting FE & TE units, i havent done any manual fights in any other ages so i dont know about them

I reported this a few days ago on the html5 thread and i've just seen that Bryfft reported it has been reported and is being addressed

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7942

i will try to explain why this name change feature is that bad from my perspective. no one will care, but at least i can vent.

this game is highly dependent on the social factor. inno never got that. (that's why there are still no guild profiles in the apps. you want people to stay in the game? let them finally apply to good guilds and not just random ones. more players will keep playing, because of better communication and trading options.)

when i started out i used to chat with guild mates and globally daily. you could discuss city layouts, trade problems and tips on the game at any given time. of course you also get to know some unpleasant people, but do you instantly ignore them? no, ignoring disrupts the chat, because you can only see half of the conversation and if you ignore multiple people you have no clue who and how many of them are online and whether they are insulting you.

when playing gvg i sometimes need to contact some people i hardly ever talk to and do not have on my friend list. how can i know if i already talked to them in the past? i can't, the name might be different now. same thing goes for new members trying to apply: if we're at war with their former guild, i'd say no, but after a name change i cannot know if they are telling the truth, because i can't ask around.

another issue: players can sell their accounts even better now, because the buyer can change their name. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

many endgame players sell goods for forge points and they depend on their good name. word travels fast if you scam, but not with this new cheap feature of yours.

other things were already mentioned.
All very good points but like I mentioned I think probably easily solvable by adding in the option to see all past names used, though with the ability to change so often would have to be culled as well or else might get some with a massive list o' names.

DeletedUser

All very good points but like I mentioned I think probably easily solvable by adding in the option to see all past names used, though with the ability to change so often would have to be culled as well or else might get some with a massive list o' names.
that would be good, but this solution involves the devs a bit more than just changing some values (costs an time span). if there is too little feedback on this matter, nothing will be done anyways.

DeletedUser5882

Players in this game interacts very often.
The game needs a long time investment.
Just like in real life you keep tabs on players here, because we depend on their aidings, trades, fps to our GBs, cooperation in GvG.
This is not a few hours game where you mean nothing to the other person even if there is any interaction.
This game builds up, relationships (bad or good) builds up... and bam! With a simple change I am trying to remember who that new guy is on my list! I could not recognize a player who was on my list for one whole year! That is wrong!
A game where we invest in city building and people relationships so much and for so long should not turn identity into something insignificant. Player identity IS an essential part of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Extra zoom level is very nice, I would even add another level of zoom :)

Changing the nickname once every 6 months or endlessly for 50 diaxes is VERY bad!
I imagine people with nicknames "guest 0139578436ngtdjkhteui5" or "Wilhelm IVXIIMIVI The Conqueror" would like to change it, but that should be done via support and support ONLY. Like everyone above explained - this would be abused intentionally highly and would add a mass confusion to the game.

DeletedUser

FoE is the only game i ever played where players could change their nick.... wonder why.
A guess might be that games with that feature didnt make it long enough to get known ;)

It´s ok when support changes a name for some good reason, but when players can change at will (almost) then the fun of getting to know players for good or bad is more or less ruined.

DeletedUser8150

Kinda feel its a backwards step to lose the -1 on DC for non completion. Much too easy now to skip any slightly awkward ones with no real penaulty. Just getting the week prize 1 day earlier is not much of a bonus for completing every week. Perhaps we need a new extra prize for completing every DC in a month to keep the incentives to never miss a D

DeletedUser

Changing the nickname once every 6 months or endlessly for 50 diaxes is VERY bad!
I imagine people with nicknames "guest 0139578436ngtdjkhteui5" or "Wilhelm IVXIIMIVI The Conqueror" would like to change it, ...

I agree! Some players might not be aware at registration the account name will also be the nickname ingame. So maybe they didn’t care so much about it at start and chose weird names like the examples above. For this reason, typos or what ever the chance of a name change would be fine.

... but that should be done via support and support ONLY. Like everyone above explained - this would be abused intentionally highly and would add a mass confusion to the game.

Not necessarily, a name change by a player ONCE for free would be ok for me, and then this option should be used up. He should be aware of the problem at this time, rethink his name wisely and do an FINAL decision about it. I don’t see any need for further name changes and the problem of abuse would be largely gone.

Anyone related to a renamed player should get a note at event history in the town hall, regardless if it concerns friends or ignore lists or GB contribution.

An addition to player’s menu “name history” would be useful.

In case there would be further name changes allowed, they should be really very expensive, 50 Diamonds are way to cheap, imo even 2000 diamonds would not be enough, and maximally once every 6 months. But really, I don’t see any need for this option more than once per account ever.