• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Halloween 2017

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

Silveralius

Squire
@LordFrunDor: you must join a guild to learn the game. I was looking your city and you have no army, no goods buildings, nothing, and your coments show that you don´t understand the game.

Please tell me where I get information about player army? Or you mean military building? :D
Why having goods building, if you have a lot Wishing Well and many Terrace farm?
I mean you do not understud how to play this game. You must be newbie if you mean that military and goods buildings are necessary for playing this game.
And how you mean he got a Terrace farm if you say that ho is not in guild?
You are totally out of point.

And for all other:
Nick: Silveralius
Server: CZ
World: 2 (Brisgard)

Lionhead

Baronet
@Lionhead I can see that I am generally wasting my time trying to get you to understand the modern game, and my view of it. You are in an advanced age, taking so much time going through it that you have stacks of upgrade kits. However, this is a fallacy that needs correcting:

This totally ignores that those players who you would imply were happy with the situation were on this and on live forums asking for alternate paths long before alternate paths ever came about. Nobody that I have read over the past years said that Inno should not offer alternate paths, when players asked for them. Players in your "good old days" were not happy with the situation. Sure, they either played or left the game and those who stayed obviously coped with the situation one way or another. But nobody - even now - is saying to Inno that alternates should not be offered, they are only telling players to suck it up .. or leave.

And leave is undoubtably what some players will do, when they find that this isn't a game that allows for flexible strategy (whether that is 'successful' or not) and they stop having fun.

I can assure you that making me understand this game is an absolute waste of time. I know it very well.

I´m not saying players haven´t been wanting alternatives before alternatives came around. But I am very sure that those players represent a massive minority. Does that mean that some players who didn´t speak up didn´t want alternatives. No. But they´re still a part of a wast minority. Everyone else (and that is a lot of players) found a way to carry on playing despite. They adapted.
Put 20 children in a sandbox give them all a plastic shovel and a yellow bucket. Everyone will have their fun. After some time you add a red bucket. They will still have their fun. Take away the red bucket, but re-introduce it on a few occassions. The majoity will find a way to have fun with only the yellow bucket. Some might think it would be nice to have the red bucket too, but they keep building their sandcastle using only the yellow. 2 might get stubborn, sit in each corner and refuse to play untill times where the red bucket appears. Those 2 might at some point stand up and leave the sandbox. The builder of the sandbox might not be too concerned with that, as there´s plenty of children who wants a place in the sandbox.
So sure, some has left, and some will still leave. Still a minority.

And somebody - me - is saying that IG shouldn´t offer alternatives on the lenghty events. Fine, offer alternatives on the shorter Historical Questlines. I have voiced this opinion ever since the debate started a long time ago.

Radarjohn

Farmer
I think it's a wonderful event, well done to all. Only one problem found so far...on task #29 it requires to research a technology. You've done this before only you have given an alternate choice such as give X amount of goods to your guild etc. What if someone has not option to research, such as in my case...the next research is into another age. I haven't finished building up for this age. Thank you so much for listening to me, I do like your game so very much.

DeletedUser8277

What I do know, is that in the "good old days" - longer than six months ago - we had no alternatives to guestlines regarding research. Us players had then the option to either stop at that research-quest or do it and move on (if we had put ourselves in a situation where doing 1 research would mean just that). A lot of players made those choices on a regular basis.
I agree we had to stop tech and CMap in order to sit. When they made the announcement 6 months ago and every event since has included alternatives many of us who had previously held off on doing things finally began playing the game in non event time. IE taking map sectors as we wanted, researching tech we wanted instead of waiting on a event quest to tell us so. Because we didn't read into the wording of the announcement to get the implication that it would not be for *every* event we got screwed because we believed we had been told this was no longer an issue.

I've lucked out because I only played ahead on my CMap on live and others have told me I should be able to play ahead even further without ramifications. For anyone who took that announcement the same way I did and unlocked all their tech for the era they are not ready to leave yet, they have been locked out of events. Not because they did not plan ahead or strategize like we did 6 months ago but because they believed it was no longer going to be an issue so there was no need to include it in their strategy.

This isn't the same as before when you might not have liked not having an alternate but you knew how the game was and what you needed to do to stay. We believed we had been told one thing, gave it several events to make sure it was true and then have it change or 'clarified' later. For those saying older players never had the chance to have alternatives, you were also never lead to believe you were going to be given them and changed your play style based on that. If you change your strategy based on announcements and new information how is it still the players lack of strategy when the rules seem to suddenly change with no announcement?
Make something that takes like six months to get and requires massive amounts of destruction and reconstruction to one's city.
That sounds pretty cool. I think it would be much more interesting than DQ and require a lot more long term strategy to get done. I do think something like that would result in even more people wanting to stay in their eras to focus working on it. Or need to stay in an era to do whatever the 'massive thing' was. I'd be curious to see what you had in mind. For something like that even if I wouldn't do it in my main it would probably inspire me to start a new city to play a hardcore long term strategy mode.

As for Halloween feedback I had an old tech I could unlock on beta to get it done. I had used a bunch of diamonds earlier on before the wiki was posted because I didn't know what the quests were and if I'd be able to get them done in time. I think for new players without FP stocks or non beta diamonds it would be more difficult but it's doable for them too. Especially if they use the wikia to plan ahead. The dark tower is very cool looking, I love the animations but I agree with whoever said incorporating the bats into the animation would have been very interesting.

vidicecilia

Baronet
Thats becose i dont play on beta activly. ;)
this could help you:
dI0V.png
You should think twice than you write somethink ;)
And in my main word IS army building! 1 exactly! :D
And there is also goods building, but i get 99% of my goods for exchange for FP. ;)

BTW: I look on you. Why you especialy write anythink about guild? you obwiously cchange guild like socks. :D
IC0C.png
+ what you know about game? :D Your maximum GB have 17 lvl! :D:D That is sooo high...
rTmS.png

In this forum I talk about issues of Beta Server where I´m an active player. When I want to talk about problems in live server I go to its own forum. If you are coming to this forum to solve matters of live servers, I think you must explain it to us.

Evidently, you have a lot of time to spy people. Be careful!

I don't think we will be seeing alternatives for the quests in this years event. We stated originally that over time we would be offering more alternatives for some quests, but that doesn't mean that all quests will have alternatives.
I will discuss it more with the higher ups, but I suspect there will always be quests, and parts of historical quest lines and events that will require some type of map or tech actions. After all, they are a big part of the game, and to discount those actions in events I don't think is reasonable to expect.
As always this comes down to a players choice, measuring the rewards in an event against their own play styles and goals.
This is very disappointing. It seems Inno corrected a problem and then recreated the same problem. I guess they found out I liked the alternatives. :-(

DeletedUser8341

I don't think we will be seeing alternatives for the quests in this years event. We stated originally that over time we would be offering more alternatives for some quests, but that doesn't mean that all quests will have alternatives.
I will discuss it more with the higher ups, but I suspect there will always be quests, and parts of historical quest lines and events that will require some type of map or tech actions. After all, they are a big part of the game, and to discount those actions in events I don't think is reasonable to expect.
As always this comes down to a players choice, measuring the rewards in an event against their own play styles and goals.
As I think this through, it still doesn't make sense to revert to no alternatives, especially on minor questlines.

If the point is to push players up the tech tree, that makes much more sense with the big questlines, where the rewards from the quest might be more likely to outweigh any short-term disadvantage.

If the point is to teach players to hold back some technologies at the end of an age, so that they are not forced up an age, then we are back to the old situation, since players can have no idea which quest will be requiring a technology. We might as well have no alternates for ANY quest as to have them for a few.

If the point is to make players decide whether to change their strategies to fit the quest or not do the quest, then advance warning needs to be given to players when an questline is launched, making it clear that, at x point in the questline, they will be asked to complete a technology (it is unfair to expect players to have to rely on the informal and unconfirmed fan wiki).

If the point is to limit the number of players who have the special building(s) then the chance mechanism is less contentious (e.g. get the Black Tower or get 100FP or get 10 blueprints). Or, just make the whole questline more difficult .. and I do see that gaining a tech might be seen as a part of that.

So, what is the point of reverting to having no alternates (and it is clear that players see it as a reversion)?

DeletedUser8341

Here's a suggestion to resolve this "Research a technology" issue.

Allow players to put all the FP into a technology, pay all the goods for that technology but not actually get the technology. This would count as research for the purpose of the questline.

This will remain a difficult task for some, requiring hefty investment, but will get around the problem of de-strategising the player's game.

There are two versions of this idea:
  1. To encourage forward growth - since the technology can be picked up later at any time without further investment effort - without forcing forward growth, the FP and goods remain and the technology can be gained later.
  2. Alternately - and this is a nasty one that only those determined to stay in their current age would consider - allow the player to put all the FP and all the goods in but then decide to either have the technology or lose all the FP and goods paid into it. Either way, the technology is counted as 'Pay for a technology research' in the questline.

DeletedUser6489

wow! i thought you guys were doing away with the Research Tech quests for events or at the very least giving an alternative to this. so here i am without a tech from a previous age and i will be FORCED to jump to next era if i wish to finish the Halloween event. This is not a good thing. and this will ultimately affect me on the live servers as well. i have now been forced to jump before i was ready twice on live servers and will be the second time on Beta server. What gives ?

DeletedUser7529

Inno just wants all players to advance past future era if they want event buildings. This will solve issues with GvG: GB wont produce goods for lower ages, without goods players wont fight and eventually GvG will die and Inno will be able to finally remove it without players hate.

DeletedUser5429

• the new tab of presentation of the quests is really clear and nice :)
  • the questline is very lengthy, that's nice too !
  • Black tower is really gorgeous
  • Black tower is not great
All in all a nice event. Sad that the final reward is not better.

DeletedUser7059

In this forum I talk about issues of Beta Server where I´m an active player. When I want to talk about problems in live server I go to its own forum. If you are coming to this forum to solve matters of live servers, I think you must explain it to us.

Evidently, you have a lot of time to spy people. Be careful!
So, your point of wiev is, that experience about game i get OUT of beta server is irelevant?
:D That i say an argument... :D:D
Spying on whitcch language mutation you play and seeing your stats take me less than 1 minut.. ;)
Why should be i carefull? this information are public. ;)

DeletedUser8404

Apart from being Halloween-themed, I'm trying to figure out why you would ever build the Scarecrow. In most, if not all, eras, it provides less happiness per tile than the regular cultural buildings for that era. It feels like it needs something else to make it more special. As it is, it'll probably go up in my city for a day or two, just for amusement, then it'll get stored or deleted (though I'm leaning towards stored, in case Inno decides I have a point and adds something more special to it).

Or have I nailed it, and the entire point of it was to be something put up only temporarily?

Last edited by a moderator:

vidicecilia

Baronet
Since four or five events ago, I have kept the rewards in my Inventory because I have no room in my city. Surely, they will be there forever because they are not useful for me. So, why would I do this expensive event?

Apart from being Halloween-themed, I'm trying to figure out why you would ever build the Scarecrow. In most, if not all, eras, it provides less happiness per tile than the regular cultural buildings for that era. It feels like it needs something else to make it more special. As it is, it'll probably go up in my city for a day or two, just for amusement, then it'll get stored or deleted (though I'm leaning towards stored, in case Inno decides I have a point and adds something more special to it).

Or have I nailed it, and the entire point of it was to be something put up only temporarily?

Yes, I remember I deleted it without sorrow some years ago.

Last edited:

DeletedUser8404

I did spot one thing that makes the scarecrow marginally more useful than I'd thought: it's essentially a decoration, and therefore doesn't require roads. That happens to work for me at the moment, but in general, that's not something I usually need out of a 3x3.

DeletedUser8277

I did spot one thing that makes the scarecrow marginally more useful than I'd thought: it's essentially a decoration, and therefore doesn't require roads. That happens to work for me at the moment, but in general, that's not something I usually need out of a 3x3.
Scarecrow is a much older building. 2013 according to the wikia. As the game progresses they make new the cultural/decos more efficient so it is worth it for people to get them. It was good of them to offer it here, some people go for style above efficiency and do like collecting the older buildings. I know you may wonder why they don't just adjust the values up to make it a sought after award, but that would bring many complaints from those who either have the old one and don't feel they should have to earn it again, or even if they retrofitted an upgrade to all scarecrows, complaints from those who deleted the more inefficient one and feel they shouldn't be made to reearn the same reward.

And as you point out it's ability to not need road connection does bring it's own sense of usefulness with it. The graveyard is much more efficient happy per tile, but needed road connections can reduce it's flexibility.

DeletedUser8341

That's how I see it, too. Plus, it costs nothing extra to build.
The scarecrow is not the main event building. It doesn't have to be superb, so long as it has a marginally good usage.
(Let's face it, anyone with a decent happiness GB or two has no need of decorations or standard cultural buildings, anyway.)

DeletedUser7529

Black Tower - very nice building when you are in lower ages. Especially when you plan to advance to higher eras - 3 fp bonus stays, and happines penalty later can be mitigated fast. However for players in higher ages happiness penalty is really huge - you need double space to mitigate it.
Can we have special item 'derange kit' 'worsen kit' or something like that - when used it downgrades building by 1 era? It would be very useful for event buildings like those ;)

DeletedUser7942

Love the look of The Black Tower:
Blaack-Tower-and-bats.gif

Black-Tower-enhanced.gif

another-BT-version.gif

Last edited by a moderator: