• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback [Feedback] - Army Management Performance Improvements

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

DeletedUser16

Hi there! :)
Just a very tiny remark from my side: I think that there may be a misunderstanding as to what that change was meant to do. So, the development team wanted to make the performance, speed and responsiveness of the army management screen better :).
Any layout or usability changes would be a separate topic.
Also, thanks for the issues you've pointed out - they will be investigated :).

RedRed

Viceroy
thumb up for the performances improvement!

thumb down for the game flexibility... I still don't understand why there aren't just 4 (at max) stacks for each unit (attached unattached and for each one healty and damaged with the count of each stack on top of it and a selector to choose if display the most damaged or the less damaged) simple fast and useful for anyone... You can't anymore choose to use damaged units on sieges/defensive slots if you have 20+ of them now)

DeletedUser8341

You can't anymore choose to use damaged units on sieges/defensive slots if you have 20+ of them now)
Oh, that’s bad. That definitely needs fixing. It is not the case that one always wants to select fully healed units. That is true for 97 to 99% of the time but those times when injured units are selected can be helpful.

thephantom

Emperor
InnoGames
You can't anymore choose to use damaged units on sieges/defensive slots if you have 20+ of them now)
Why not? You can still do it, just as it was possible before. Just so no one is confusing things here - the limit of present units has not changed in any way (the number of units present per unit type works the same way as before). It's that only up to 20 unit images (in general) are loaded at a single 'page' of the army management window.

Usability-wide there should be no change. The target is on performance only, at this time.

RedRed

Viceroy
Why not? You can still do it, just as it was possible before. Just so no one is confusing things here - the limit of present units has not changed in any way (the number of units present per unit type works the same way as before). It's that only up to 20 unit images (in general) are loaded at a single 'page' of the army management window.

Usability-wide there should be no change. The target is on performance only, at this time.
I was looking at the wrong filter and some damaged units were missing, my bad. I was thinking that 20 images are about all the units of one type (the whole attached + unattached + damaged) :D

Last edited:

DeletedUser8404

Forgive me if this is a dumb suggestion, cuz I'm a farmer not a fighter, but would it make sense to simply stack all healthy units of the same type/era and put a little number in the bottom right corner indicating how many of that unit are stacked? Unhealthy units would have to remain unstacked so you could see their health bars, and city defence would have to unstack when selected and restack when unselected, but if everything else in the troop selection bar were stacked, I imagine that would condense the interface considerably. You might not even need the little gold square at the end anymore (not sure about that...I'll let the big time fighters comment on that one).

(edit: I hadn't caught up to the second page yet when I posted this, so it's a near-duplicate of redred's point, but I've left it here anyway, since it seems to be a slightly different approach than his, even if it's the same underlying idea.)

DeletedUser8341

Forgive me if this is a dumb suggestion, cuz I'm a farmer not a fighter, but would it make sense to simply stack all healthy units of the same type/era and put a little number in the bottom right corner indicating how many of that unit are stacked? Unhealthy units would have to remain unstacked so you could see their health bars, and city defence would have to unstack when selected and restack when unselected, but if everything else in the troop selection bar were stacked, I imagine that would condense the interface considerably. You might not even need the little gold square at the end anymore (not sure about that...I'll let the big time fighters comment on that one).

(edit: I hadn't caught up to the second page yet when I posted this, so it's a near-duplicate of redred's point, but I've left it here anyway, since it seems to be a slightly different approach than his, even if it's the same underlying idea.)
Yes, that would make sense. It is outside the scope of this thread. It has been suggested in the appropriate forum.

bilboman

Merchant
why change the order the units are displayed? ie. Support troops are now being placed at the end of the load window and rouges are displayed first... makes no sense to me to change that part of the interface . totally unnecessary... i will have to use this a few more times to give it a proper tryout... a little confused as to what has actually changed. the old interface showed less that ALL of a unit for example unattached rogues displayed a litmited number in the window to choose from.
To me, this seems to be a bug since no such change was announced.

DeletedUser8733

about time they started working on this I have complained about this issue forever and it has had huge effects on performance. Switching off the image slider is a major move in the right direction but imo it will not be enough and may actually lead to even more memory leaks(from flash not game) which will be even harder to correct, but maybe the page system might actually work considering how flash loads to RAM. Time will tell.
Regardless glad to see after many years of complaining INNO is working on these real gvg issues.

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/gvg-game-freezes-and-why.16624/

JC

DeletedUser8733

I was looking at the wrong filter and some damaged units were missing, my bad. I was thinking that 20 images are about all the units of one type (the whole attached + unattached + damaged) :D
I like idea of a drop down for damaged units and would actually fix some issues in performance when you fight in gvg for a long time.
I don't want to lose damaged tho bc i use them for fighting.

JC

DeletedUser8733

I can confirm this is true. my damaged rogues still show

HuscarlTW

Squire
@Bryfft @Zarok Dai

Suggestion for the army menu optimization:
Create 1 stack for each health level of each units. This will mean that units will default to a single stack of all full-hp units, and expand to a maximum of 10 stacks (10/10, 9/10, 8/10, 7/10 health, etc)

Then one can mouse-over to get a count of how many units are in each stack, if a player wishes to see that information.

DeletedUser8341

@Bryfft @Zarok Dai

Suggestion for the army menu optimization:
Create 1 stack for each health level of each units. This will mean that units will default to a single stack of all full-hp units, and expand to a maximum of 10 stacks (10/10, 9/10, 8/10, 7/10 health, etc)

Then one can mouse-over to get a count of how many units are in each stack, if a player wishes to see that information.
This would be difficult to implement, since injured units are continually healing. Imagine:
3 Healthy units in one stack
2 Injured with 5 points
1 Injured with 8 points.

You have the army management screen open at the time one of the units with 5 points is healed to have 6 points. What to do: shuffle the units as you are looking at them, to show the unit with 6 seperate; keep the unit with 6 stacked with the unit with 5 nut show it as having 6; keep the unit with 6 showing as having 5 but use it as having 6 if it is selected.. Whichever you do, you will be wrong by some players’ ideas.

If injured units are to be stacked at all, they might as well all be stacked together, with any that heal completely staying in that stack until the unit view is refreshed. Any click/tap on a stack of injured units causes all injured units to be displayed. This would be inconsistent with the behaviour of a click/tap on a stack of healed units but is probably the best compromise between saving space and enabling a full view of injured units.

DeletedUser8749

Suddenly I seem to have more defensive troops..

FeQPGX.jpg

DeletedUser

This seems to be a display issue as they are displaying correctly for me when I check your city. You might try clearing your cache to see if it resolves it.

DeletedUser8749

This seems to be a display issue as they are displaying correctly for me when I check your city. You might try clearing your cache to see if it resolves it.

No go Zarok - Chrome cache cleared and Chrome restarted, still the same. Things look normal in the standard view, but additional defensive troops display when filtered to ranged units.

This is fine:

4t5N0i.jpg

When filtered to ranged units:

FeQPGX.jpg

vesgouo

Baronet
I liked the idea of stacking units.
It will be more efficient and practical
So continuing to work on this current improvement would be wasted service...

DeletedUser8749

No go Zarok - Chrome cache cleared and Chrome restarted, still the same. Things look normal in the standard view, but additional defensive troops display when filtered to ranged units.

Now also tested in Google Chrome Mac, Google Chrome Windows, Windows IE - all display the same symptom. Mobile version (IOS) unaffected.

DeletedUser8461

Since it keeps being mentioned, here's some info about the stackable units idea:
It's one of the options that was considered. We even prototyped it. Done well, it could improve army management convenience, and also help performance.
However, we were looking at the army management in the first place because of the performance issues (that some players have had for quite a while) and performance is what we considered to be more important to address. If we had gone down the path of improving the usability now, the performance fixes would have been tied up with that, slowing down their release.
We're pretty happy with how the performance has improved, and we think that it can be a significant improvement for the players who were experiencing performance issues. :D

I'm not ruling out a future improvement to the army management usability - it's just not something we were trying to tackle at this time. :)