• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Forwarded Faster Manual Battle Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArklurBeta

Baronet
Reason
Currently we have 3 speed options (1, 2, 3), but even the fastest (3) is very slow when manual battles needed.
Details
I think a speed of 4, even a 5 would be nice. 5 being probably "at least" 2x as fast as the current option 3, 4 can be somewhere between the 2.
Balance
Everyone would be able to use it, so it's balanced.
Abuse Prevention
Don't see this to be abusable.
Summary
This would be a nice QoL addition, making manual battles less tedious.
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
I have read the DSNL and checked previous submissions.
Provide a faster option when doing manual fights.

This suggestion has been forwarded. Votes are no longer accepted.

Kronan

Viceroy
Love this idea, but here's the problem. How do we get our host (Inno) to embrace it, other than almost everyone voting for it? That's the goal we all have.

There are 2 things at work here:

1) Autobattle is very fast, but is (can be) tailored by INNO via it's AI to not represent the best way to fight for the player's army. Let's call this: FAST, but DUMB.
2) Manual battle is very slow on even the fastest speed setting, but for skilled players, yields minimal loss. Let's call this; SLOW but SMART.

It doesn't have to be that way. Manual battle speed is built around ANIMATION SPEED. What if you blend the concepts together. Here's what I mean:

Let's say you're fighting in LMA, you have 8 Great Sword Warriors, and the defense is 8 Heavy Knights (horses). Here's the problem. Even on speed 3, ALL THOSE HORSES have to romp across the battlefield as an animation, until 6 of them do that, and you get a chance to play.

What if you could remove the animation, and just get to the turn's final disposition of action?

In other words, you press "complete turn" and the horses are all magically just where they should be, vs animating them running across the field. We don't care about how they get there, we just want to know their final place, so we can take a turn.

This would SOLVE our problem. Turn off the animation speed tied to a button control. Instead...

Create a COMPLETE TURN button with no animation, just the defensive army's final placement for the turn.

Where's the middle ground that keeps Inno happy?
I don't know how to get to FAST and SMART (the best for players) and what's best for INNO is slow and dumb (which really isn't an option, but might generate more money for them).

Here's a radical thought. I prefer manual battle because it's actually fun, but I don't want to take 5-8 minutes to do a single battle (1 or even 2 waves of fights). Autobattle gets mindless and in my opinion, goes against having fun doing battles. So in conjuction with your request, let's drop autobattle in some venues.

Now I expect lots of howls at that. So instead of being RADICAL, we could:

Re-normalize the game a bit to de-emphasize autobattle opportunities (or allow autobattle only after 3 manual moves, for example...), and make manual battling more robust (along with your suggestion, or IN TUNE with your suggestion) by re-calibrating quantities of fights required to make a goal (for example, in GBG diamond, you wouldn't do 160 to take a sector, you'd do some much lower amount...).

I like what you're thinking though. I just hope Inno has some ideas here because FoE needs to become more than just mindlessly clicking autobattle all day long.

The game doesn't deserve that fate at all.

Last edited:

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
@Xiphos auto battles are a choice. There's no need to force everyone in line of your definition of "fun" by unlocking auto battle after 3 manual turns. For Inno faster manual battles may yield more intensive battles in GbG. Thus more diamonds spend on SC. As it has the potential to appeal more players to pushing into higher attrition, which regardless of experience means more casualties and thus more potential revives and cures for diamonds.
Forcing everyone to manual battle by locking auto battles behind mandatory 3 manual turns each battle, would just slow down the game to grindy crawl, causing less damage to units in the same period of time and thus less diamonds spend and less bought for it. Another issue will be upsetting a good portion of the fanatic fighting player base. As it very significantly enhance negotiations over grinding forced first 3 manual turns for single battles and 6 for 2 waves. Which would definitely upset some medium experienced player who's principle against anything that improves negotiations.

Kronan

Viceroy
Hey guys - yes, good points - I modified my post while you drafted those response (crossing paths...) to include a much better solution: Complete Defense turn button.

It proposes a nice middle ground: it removes the concept of us watching while it accrues animation time at our expense, and gives you instant placement of the defense for your next turn. The problem is ANIMATION. Maybe in old FoE animation was "cute", but it's a ball and chain now - and not cute at all.

Kronan

Viceroy
So here's what's left. 1 and 3 are exactly what we have now. 2 is a new thought to fix what's broken:

1) Unchanged classic manual battle with 3 visual speeds of ANIMATION (like we have now)
2) New classic manual battle, but with a new no animation turn button: "instant" turn configuration placement via "Complete Turn" button
3) Unchanged autobattle (as we have now)

Kronan

Viceroy
@drakenridder - all good. The best animation setting (SPEED) time is 0. But do definitely agree, any improvement (reduction in the time we have to watch the defensive repositioning animation) is a step in the right direction. ;)

Come on Inno, surprise us with something really beneficial to YOUR game. The easiest solution is to calibrate your current 3 position speed switch to new values.

Make the new relationship linear like the current one, (1,2,3 - > 2,3,4 or 3,4,5) or make it curvilinear (1, 4, 8) to add increasing time reductions.

1 would correspond to the single ">" of the button, 4 is ">>" and 8 would be ">>>".

Then nothing changes in the front-end design :)

Sincerely,

Your player community

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.