• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Promoting and Improving Beta

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

Andi47

Overlord
I am located in Austria - so if the beta server has the same location as the .de servers (my guess is for Hamburg), they should be equally fast. In fact on .de I can put FP into a GB ~2.5 to 3 times faster than on beta (tested yesterday)

@Robert or @Zarok Dai can you tell us where the mentioned servers (beta, .de, .uk .us?) are located?

RedRed

Viceroy
I am located in Austria - so if the beta server has the same location as the .de servers (my guess is for Hamburg), they should be equally fast. In fact on .de I can put FP into a GB ~2.5 to 3 times faster than on beta (tested yesterday)

@Robert or @Zarok Dai can you tell us where the mentioned servers (beta, .de, .uk .us?) are located?
IP lookup says: hamburg [beta;de] miami [us] paris [uk]

Andi47

Overlord
IP lookup says: hamburg [beta;de] miami [us] paris [uk]

Well - when beta is located in the same city as .de, and .de is 2.5 to 3 times faster than beta (when spending FP; I am sitting in Austria, near Wiener Neustadt), then this is a clear sign that beta needs significantly better hardware.

@innogames when you want to bring more players to beta, then make sure that the beta server will not break down under the load when the number of players increase - and that we can test even click-intensive things like spending 1000 FP without getting crazy.

DeletedUser6908

I've found Aiding and Tavern visits to be significantly slower on Beta as well.

kasia2389

Farmer
1. Kazdy zarejestrowany gracz automatycznie otrzymuje swoje konto beta
2. Za aktywną grę na beta otrzymuje diamenty na konto live.

1. Every registered player automatically receives a beta account
2. For active play on the beta gets diamonds to the live account.

Nowy obraz mapy bitowej1.jpg

DeletedUser

oh we had a feature where you became diamonds on your real account for being a beta tester

for every correct bug report you got a few
don't know why they stopped with that

DeletedUser

oh we had a feature where you became diamonds on your real account for being a beta tester

for every correct bug report you got a few
don't know why they stopped with that
I'm guessing players were given far too much diamonds and that unbalanced the game... :p

qaccy

Emperor
Why people don't want play Beta? The first and the most important problem is: YOU DON'T LISTEN THE PLAYERS!

I think you'd have to define what you mean by 'listen to the players'. If you mean that the developers should do everything that the players say, then you can quickly see how this belief starts to become a problem. The playerbase as a whole would not design a good game, and possibly not even a functional one. It certainly wouldn't be well-balanced if every player suggestion and criticism adjusted the game accordingly.

The community managers here do a great job at responding to player feedback, so in my book that means they're doing a pretty good job at listening already. It sounds like you're implying that 'listening' actually means 'do what I say'.

talamanta

Baronet
Pathfinder
I may not know English
but I know all the + and - of the game
the beta is the best server for ''regular'' players
it also offers experience and knowledge

is not good server but for them that they use known trick to climb
easy to live servers

1 this automatically means they can not play here
with the other accounts they play.
they are afraid they are here
more frequent checks
and they can find it easier
the differences
non-legitimate programs they use

2 you have calculated how many normal players
appear
with the same or different names in different live servers
and the same players in how many worlds
they play ?
the regular players
playing in parallel in many worlds
they have not had time to play normally on the beta
they did
subscribe to read
developments of the game
in the forum of beta
if you want to grow
the number of players
server BETA

you should target
not to old players
but only to new players
of the regular servers
when they first start
together with the envoy
with the instructions of the game
there is also a message
for BETA servers
what it does and what it offers

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
To truly test content as we'll feel about in live servers we kinda need to be in the right situations to test them. It might be advised to have a second beta server where we could either import a live server to it or start with designated inno starter cities in advanced ages with appropriate GB support/unattached troop levels. This server would be wiped on a regular basis (whenever you feel you need less contamination) and be about actually testing stuff without having to play through the entire game again just so we can honestly tell you we hate things before they go live. It might even be advisable to allow people to wipe their own cities manually in addition on such a server rather than have to wait for an official wipe.

OF4 comes out : import my OF city
Oracle comes out : wipe my OF city and start a city from scratch
Autobattle comes out : wipe my early age oracle city and reimport my OF city

Of course this effort would still require you to actually care if we hate something (which i'm usually not sure you do at all) - and at least consider when we tell you things are out of balance (*cough* crystal villas) before they go live.

DeletedUser7779

To truly test content as we'll feel about in live servers we kinda need to be in the right situations to test them. It might be advised to have a second beta server where we could either import a live server to it or start with designated inno starter cities in advanced ages with appropriate GB support/unattached troop levels. This server would be wiped on a regular basis (whenever you feel you need less contamination) and be about actually testing stuff without having to play through the entire game again just so we can honestly tell you we hate things before they go live. It might even be advisable to allow people to wipe their own cities manually in addition on such a server rather than have to wait for an official wipe.

OF4 comes out : import my OF city
Oracle comes out : wipe my OF city and start a city from scratch
Autobattle comes out : wipe my early age oracle city and reimport my OF city

Of course this effort would still require you to actually care if we hate something (which i'm usually not sure you do at all) - and at least consider when we tell you things are out of balance (*cough* crystal villas) before they go live.

Absolutely love this idea!
I for one know that my guldies on live would never start playing beta as they'd have to start from scratch and go all the way through the annoying tutorials/quests and all the (new) restrictions in early ages, not to mention all the pain to build the GBs. But if live server cities could be temporarily imported for whatever needs to be tested, that would make a huge difference.

DeletedUser7942

As to how Inno can get more players here I think probably the best way to get a surge is some sort of periodical in game promotion/contest/announcement. The Live forum servers explode when they give an in-game announcement to go to the forum for some contest so that seems to be a good way.

I like the idea of having it show up in the world selection window but not sure how that would work given it's a different server and requires making another login so maybe try to think of a way to make that simpler;

Beta-Testing - Copy.gif

But I also want to say this...

Inno listens to players, that's a proven fact, Inno makes changes based on player feedback, that's also a proven fact, anyone saying otherwise most likely is bitter about something they want and are not getting or are simply ignorant to what follows. I would agree most of the game is Inno's vision for it, it is their game after all and their company so they're going to do what they feel will keep them profitable and running, and only a small percentage of the game is actually changed based on player feedback, the ultimate feedback is profitability after all. There are also other fundamental issues as to why there may seem to be a disconnect between player feedback and Inno response or lack thereof, players simply do not have access to the same information Inno does, we can only speak to our personal experience whereas Inno can look at the entire playerbase activity, trends etc. Inno knows to varying degree what will be coming long term whereas players only get to know within weeks before going live. Another issue that's come up in the past is a disconnect in understanding the purpose of a change. When something new is introduced if the players don't understand the purpose of something their responses can be out of line with what Inno is attempting to achieve and as such player feedback would be essentially disregarded because it either doesn't fit into the purpose or goes against it entirely. Another issue is players don't understand and or consider development cost and process. Inno is not going to just let their developers/designers run loose and willy nilly make changes to the game on a whim and every single player's feedback, the game would self destruct.

So okay, consider all that above as areas of improvement to making Beta a more accessible and enjoyable experience because there's not much point to trying to get more testers without considering some of that.

Now, if one wants a reason or a purpose to trying to get more testers here I'll give you a real good one, "limited live testing", yeah that alone is reason enough to try to get this Beta server pumped full of testers, just the concept alone of limited live testing is a bad idea no matter how small the imbalance it creates, Incidents, Daily Challenges etc. only going to some players on Live especially when new worlds open is just plain wrong and the reason Inno gives for it is not enough testers here on Beta, so if you want that to end then getting more testers her makes perfect sense.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Inno occasionally listens. More often than not, they do not. This is not even necessarily a bad thing if their math department wasn't run by preschoolers (yes, that's an exaggeration) and their game designers had an interesting vision - but the times when we tell them a number's out of whack - then it goes live - and lo and behold it was out of whack - and then after the fact they have to make an extreme response to fix the live servers are certainly a case of just flat out not listening. And if they're not listening about that they're certainly not listening at other times too. It usually feels like there's specific things that go on beta they actually want feedback about and listen closely to - and other things (most things) that it's really just a sneak preview set in stone and noone's even reading the thread other than the poor CM who has to read our bile as her job. While most of us have figured out where that border is and have stopped providing feedback on what we perceive to be those issues (i.e. crappy reward or questline on an event = that's fine, just skip it), it still can be frustrating when you come across something that falls in that category that you feel needs feedback (pretty 9 piece winter set that doesn't seem sufficiently attainable - i've actually given up on it on my main server, never planned to try for it on any other in the first place).

Overall though, yes, I am bitter. Increasingly so. Not about one particular thing. As recently as arctic future i tried to be optimistic about changes and figure out how to adapt to and use them but things have been sliding since TE in my eyes where for every addition i truly like (GE, GE4) they make there's 10 i either loathe (harbors, friends tavern, incidents, more OF tech and boring tedious continent map released in a wacky number of "phases", overall balance of OF combat, autobattle, motivation kits and boost items as filler instead of coins/supplies, termination of bronze age pvp, attainability of winter set (less notable as it's just an event but it's recent and on the top of my head)) or turn out to be long-term damaging to the game (the arc, all ages gvg (specifically termination of using treasury goods for gvg in advanced ages), recurring quests that take little to no city footprint to do as much as you want, potentially even orangery and kraken - the problem with powerful effects we like is that it makes it difficult to design further content such that it's fair to people of all GB levels but still interesting for people who've 'succeeded' at the game and have the monster gb levels). Some of the loathed features would be fine if they adequately address important game balance issues but the lack of enjoyable content to go with all the not so enjoyable stuff is painful.

How would I fix it? At this point I haven't a clue. Things may have gone too far to recover the game I enjoyed playing once upon a time. The economy is broken - kraken helped but wasn't as big a fix as i hoped. Level 60+ GBs and the balance issues they cause are a genie that's not going back in the bottle. GvG just got even more mindless and fast. Plundering my neighbors requires goals that i want said plunder for in my eyes - i.e. it can't be the only thing i'm playing the game for. And even GE that used to be a shining light in a very dull game i usually wind up not finishing (why would i want rewards that make OF goods - need a 1 down kit to make any of them have any value) or doing so by negotiation because it's faster than OF combat I'm really quite sick of. And being distraught about my most advanced city makes playing new worlds when the game's still fun feel a little pointless that ultimately what i'm striving for is getting to the point where they'll be no fun either...

Why wouldn't I just quit if i'm this unhappy with the game? I've played it a long while, and you know how these addictions go. One day I probably will and i'll be happier for it - but it seems like such a disappointment to see a game I've put time into for years slowly and surely pull away from being something i actually want to play. Until then, I'll likely continue to post bitter feedback in the vain hope that it has any positive impact steering the game back towards something I actually do want to play.

DeletedUser6105

I agree with those that have suggested it would be nice to see some impact - some messages that say when something widely commented on by Beta testers has been implemented so we can feel useful. It's really good to have input to a game when you can help shape its future, not just tweak decorative edges.

on which - the 'incidents' are great - who doesnt appreciate a free prize?
can I suggest removing the ok button when you collect? the amount of clicks gets irritating.

DeletedUser6105

. . . and as I see the scope of this thread has broadened beyond how to attract more Betas:

Just a concern about the future of the game. Some of the changes you have introduced have been excellent – GE for example – BUT have you noticed how unpopular the number of events is? Several people in guilds in different worlds have commented on the feeling of pressure it introduces, the lack of worthwhile rewards and the too-often frequency. And several have left the game as a result. I find I myself am not always bothering with the events and certainly not looking forward to them. My heart sinks when there is another one.

The original ones – Easter, Fall etc are still good. But these inbetween historical ones are a distraction from achieving any city progress. People would sooner plan building and co-operate over guild progress through GE. I KNOW you will say you can always ignore a new event, but players feel a sense of failure at doing that – and that doesn’t encourage them to keep playing.

I think you are driving people away and causing them to lose interest. Maybe in trying to keep it ‘lively’ you have underestimated how important people find it to escape from life and obligations and how they need not responsibilities and too many targets but FUN in a game. I have been surprised by how many players share life problems, health issues, etc in guild chat. There is often a reason why people have enough time on their hands to play such a complex game. Please consider this and consider reducing the number of events.

DeletedUser8406

Besides the language barrier I see one almost similar:
When I tried to play Beta on mobile, I found problematic that I must sign-up with different username - Beta does not support letters with diacritics. So i must retype "Zitomir Ralok" or "Žitomír Ralok" with every login.

When I want play new game, is better for me to start new game in different world on same server (because of diamonds) than on beta - I have no advantages in my main world from beta. It would be fine If I got some diamonds in my main account from beta - it would attract many players to play Beta. But because of different username would be harder to connect these logins together.

DeletedUser8014

Giving players a reward in their real world is, in my opinion, what will encourage them to play on the beta server.
Would not want the rewards to be too large to unbalance the game, but worth while to do.

So, some practical suggestions:

Each GB you builid on beta, give a blueprint on a real world - restrict to one BP for each specific GB to stop players building, tearing down, building again.

Each event you complete on beta, give a reward on a real world - not sure what the reward could be here - a building, FPs, ?

Each level you rise on beta, give a small reward on a real world - perhaps just a few diamonds - this woud help lower level players but not high level players - I assume that what is needed is many lower level players not a few very high level players which we seem to have - to more accurately reflect real world servers.

Require that a beta player designates one real world server and city to receive rewards - and then restrict accounts so that a real world city can only get rewards from one beta city - to stop a player setting up multiple accouts on beta.

As has been said previously, give a real world reward for the first player to report a genuine bug.