• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Aztecs

OmegaLee

Steward
The mini-game is frustrating. I don't see how we ever can get full bonus. How is a single guess enough info to get all the goods?

How many total expansions needed? I've tried the Japan formula of take all the cheap expansions. I have no clue how I can get enough diplomacy for the final things to unlock. With roads costing money I really hate the idea of removing roads to get the missing diplomacy.

This is feeling like a return to the Vikings with fanatical planning needed to make the deadline. Japan and the extra goods from negotiating made it easy provided some luck getting later goods. Egypt snowballs at the end with 5+ goods buildings up at the end. I am hoping some people here can share tricks how to get the Aztecs to roll faster. So far, I doubt I'll make the deadline for max prizes.

The mini-game is frustrating. I don't see how we ever can get full bonus. How is a single guess enough info to get all the goods?

How many total expansions needed? I've tried the Japan formula of take all the cheap expansions. I have no clue how I can get enough diplomacy for the final things to unlock. With roads costing money I really hate the idea of removing roads to get the missing diplomacy.

This is feeling like a return to the Vikings with fanatical planning needed to make the deadline. Japan and the extra goods from negotiating made it easy provided some luck getting later goods. Egypt snowballs at the end with 5+ goods buildings up at the end. I am hoping some people here can share tricks how to get the Aztecs to roll faster. So far, I doubt I'll make the deadline for max prizes.
I found it a difficult begining because I was trying to race to the minigame, but with the proper proportion of shrines to goods buildings it's pretty straight forward. I even got them on an 8 hr clock and finished days early. I didn't buy expansions until I unlocked the minigame and kept the houses on the road.

OmegaLee

Steward
Bug or planned?
I attacked a sector on the continent map, and got a reward of a bit of 3 different goods. This attack did complete a daily.

I tried another sector, and nothing happened.

I read at the anouncement for the life servers this about Aztecs : 2 things are puzzling me !

The Cultural Settlement Aztecs contains:
  • 11 Construction Sites
  • 30 Expansions

1) What do they mean with "11 Construction Sites"?
2) 30 expansions ? How can I ever get "30" ? I count in total 24 expansions, but you can get max 17 exp with cultural Goods and max 5 with diamonds,(=22) that's still NOT 30 ! Is this a typo ?

Last edited:

Rusje

Steward
I think it means that there are 30 spaces from 4*4. But, you get 8 in the begining, so you can only add 22. (17 goods, 5 diamonds)

PhoenixFenix

Baronet
2) 30 expansions ? How can I ever get "30" ? I count in total 24 expansions, but you can get max 17 exp with cultural Goods and max 5 with diamonds,(=22) that's still NOT 30 ! Is this a typo ?
It means the total grid can fit 30 expansions, including the first 6. But 22+6=28, so you can never get up to 30 if you for some reason actually wanted to max out on expansions.

GateKeeper

Baronet
Bug or planned?
I attacked a sector on the continent map, and got a reward of a bit of 3 different goods. This attack did complete a daily.

I tried another sector, and nothing happened.
I experienced something similar but think it was just a glitch showing the reward

MooingCat

Viceroy
Spoiler Poster
I just completed my second settlement, this time without spending any diamonds at all. Completed it in 11d8h, so had another 5d9h left for gold timer. I had some nice luck with impediments, but other than that it was quite a normal run in terms of luck. I mostly used 1h cocoa bean productions during the day, 8h productions over night. So after two runs I'm quite pleased with the settlement, not my favourite, but seems quite easy to beat on time if you're able to collect regularly. Here are my main points of feedback:
  • Settlement looks great
  • Love the new minigame, but it has some flaws
    • Number of attempts seem fair, makes it a challenge and rewards strategic play,
    • However, I don't like the luck needed to pick up all the goods. I much prefer microsoft's minesweeper implementation where you always unlock an open area on your first click. This change wouldn't guarantee the possibility of finding all the goods, but it would make it less dependent on luck.
    • With that said, I've been able to get 5 "perfect" games so far (out of 63, ~8% chance), so perhaps that's fair enough, definitely makes getting a "perfect" game special.
    • I do not like the additions of buying extra attempts or boosting goods, pretty sure that's the reason the 4x boost doesn't apply to the game. This is really unfortunate, as it means the minigame will have less and less of an impact on the settlement as the time rewards are lowered - unless you spend diamonds. I definitely don't like this, the minigame is really fun, but could be so much better.
    • If the 4x boost interferes too much with the diamond features, perhaps lower the reset time of the minigame to match the time rewards? Or increase the number of minigames based on time limits? Increase board size / number of goods? Or something else so that you'll get roughly the same impact from the minigame per settlement.
  • Cocoa Beans seem well balanced
  • Expansions are expensive, but settlement seems to be balanced with that in mind
  • I like that the roads costs cocoa beans, makes it more challenging, but can definitely understand that others won't like that
  • The reward buildings are great and in line with the other settlement rewards, no complaints there.
  • Final quest is the right level of difficulty imo, much prefer it over the egyptian final quest.
  • Number of buildings and quests makes it more relaxed than the egyptian settlement, less scrambling to constantly unlock stuff, so quite like that.
Overall, 8/10, would play again! (But only 13 times, then it's back to Egypt! :p)

Darth Magic

Farmer
I consider myself a very experienced player when it comes to settlements. I have finished Vikings, Japan, and Egypt completely, even doing a couple extra Egypt settlements. I have never spent diamonds on any settlement, and with the exception of my very first Viking village missing the gold reward, I have gotten a gold time reward every time. But I don't think I will bother to play the Aztec settlement, and I think it is because Egypt has really turned me off from the Aztec village style.

I did the grind through all of the Vikings and Japan and was ok with it, but HATED babysitting my city all day. I was so happy when I finished my last Japan village. When Egypt first came out I was really worried as a lot of the changes felt very negative, but after it got going Egypt became my favorite settlement by a HUGE margin. I loved the fact that I no longer had to babysit my city. Once attacks were done I could set goods production and walk away for 8 hours. It was awesome!

I am half way through my first Aztec settlement and I can't take it anymore. Babysitting the settlement again is killing me. I hate it. And then you throw the other negative changes on top and it just gets worse...
- Roads costing coin (this was ok with Egypt as there was so little to spend coin on, but now that we are babysitting goods buildings again this really hurts)
- 1 hour shrine production
- Expensive expansions
- Mini game that is a blatant cash grab as without diamonds gives you very little

Clearly players are doing this without diamonds and still getting gold, so that is not the issue as it is certainly possible. I just don't want to do it anymore. I did it for Vikings and Japan but I am not doing it again. For me, the issue really comes down to you haven't designed a fun experience. In your efforts to make it harder you have made something that simply is not fun, which is what a game is supposed to be.

Last edited: