• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Ancient Egypt

DeletedUser10244

30k Deben + 30 of all goods is too much,
roads need to be darker,
apart from that its working fine

DeletedUser10093

I actually like the Egyptians.
The fighting is nice, and the cost for roads isn't a huge deal once you started seriously with the settlement.
I may eve be encouraged to spend some diamonds along the way, which is certainly what Inno wants us to do.
The one thing thought that bothers me is the long duration of the settlement...

Rey Uranius

Farmer
In the Advancements, between opening the Decorated Palm Gardens and the Elephant Stable, you are asked to build 3 Residential Blocks; which would give me 606 additional population on top of what I already have. They are 3x5 each; for which I didn't have space anyway. It doesn't make sense. I'm trying to like this Ancient Egyptian Settlement thing. But things like that combined with the difficulty in getting enough Loot, too many obstructions, and the long time-line, I don't think that I will do another settlement after this one, unless Inno makes some serious adjustments.

Damjan88

Merchant
In the Advancements, between opening the Decorated Palm Gardens and the Elephant Stable, you are asked to build 3 Residential Blocks; which would give me 606 additional population on top of what I already have. They are 3x5 each; for which I didn't have space anyway. It doesn't make sense. I'm trying to like this Ancient Egyptian Settlement thing. But things like that combined with the difficulty in getting enough Loot, too many obstructions, and the long time-line, I don't think that I will do another settlement after this one, unless Inno makes some serious adjustments.
But all settlements have those quests, build the big area/big population houses? I just replaced all of my smaller ones with those :D

I find an inballance with the troops :/ ... Fast units are TOO easy killed, even by those units this FU have an attack + defense bonus for (Ranged & Artillery).. Even when I've placed my Fast in Forest (extra defense boost), 2 shots of ranged or artillery and it's killed !!! And on top of that a Fast unit has a recruit time of 8 hours !! Crazy !
So please say me what to use against the following hard battle :
wave 1 : 4 ranged + 3 artillery
wave 2 : 2 ranged + 2 artillery

Edit PS : I find "LOOT" rather a problem to get enough of than gathering Deben !

Last edited:

DeletedUser9541

Ancient Egyptians moved massive, heavy stone blocks long distances to build pyramids. The Inno Egyptians must be a different breed to build their city in an area with the nearby land littered with obstacles (and not clear a large portion of land until they need more space). Seems like rather short-sighted planners.

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
So please say me what to use against the following hard battle :
wave 1 : 4 ranged + 3 artillery
wave 2 : 2 ranged + 2 artillery
Met this army yesterday.
First attempt with 5 ranged + 3 artillery (to take advantage of the ranged bonus): abandonment with 2 ranged lost in the middle of wave 1.
Second attempt with 3 ranged + 5 artillery: fight won with 0 dead. I split my army in 2 to take advantage of 2 zones with 2 bushes (4 hidden artillery possibilities). I eliminated the ranged then I retreated my wounded ranged and my artillery out of range except those which were in the bushes. The enemy artillery which was also in the bushes advanced and I was able to reach them.
Second wave easy to 8 against 4 with bushes for 2 artillery.

If the terrain looks bad at the start (bushes too far apart, for example) you have to give up. In this case, bushes close to the enemy is favorable because the artillery hide there and leave the ranged alone at the front. You can kill the ranged while staying out of artillery range.

@hiep lin : Thanks for the tip !
I'm going to try this for sure next time ! Fast units are really "crap" :p ... Artillery are great, especially that skill hides in bushes, I like that !
Artillery and Ranged are way better than Fast ones it seems ...

estrid

Baronet
Yesterday I noticed that I have enough loot for the goods needed to open the last two buildings... so I destroyed all barracks and put in the goods buildings to speed up the progress. Today I noticed that I have only done 18/23 tasks! Did I make a mistake by destroying all soldiers?

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
@hiep lin : Thanks for the tip !
I'm going to try this for sure next time ! Fast units are really "crap" :p ... Artillery are great, especially that skill hides in bushes, I like that !
Artillery and Ranged are way better than Fast ones it seems ...

I somewhat agree. I got some use out of the chariots, but they didn't really seem worth it in the end. You were unlucky though to get 2 shot by an artillery - the damage range for artillery vs fast tends to be 2-5, so they had to hit max damage twice.

That said letting them hit you before you hit them is the one thing you *don't* want to do. Fast units have big movement so you should be able to sit just outside range where it can be attacked on their move. Let the other side advance. And then charge in for the first hit on your next move.

Start of 3rd run I'm testing out pure artillery (i've used a couple of unattached camels to fill in while training, but am running just 2 artillery barracks to start). I don't care for their hide in bushes ability at all - i don't ever see maps with enough bushes to take advantage of that really, but their range is awesome; you just need the fight to segment into two groups and then you can handle almost anything. I've managed all 3 fights both days so far this run.

Yesterday I noticed that I have enough loot for the goods needed to open the last two buildings... so I destroyed all barracks and put in the goods buildings to speed up the progress. Today I noticed that I have only done 18/23 tasks! Did I make a mistake by destroying all soldiers?
Well, you'll have a "little problem" ... quest 20 says :
"Gather 300 Loot and gather 20 Sacrificial Offerings"
... so best try to build at least 1 kind of barrack (1 Artillery I recommend or 1 Artillery & 1 Light )

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
Start of 3rd run I'm testing out pure artillery (i've used a couple of unattached camels to fill in while training, but am running just 2 artillery barracks to start).
Can be difficult against 3, 4 or 5 ranged ....
Quest 20: "Gather 300 Loot" and "Gather 20 Sacrificial Offerings"
Just 8 "not attached" for 1 fight (easy or medium depending on the number of loot)

If ... 'estrid' still have unattached units ?
ME, I'm now almost at the end ( 21 /23 quests done), I've only 1 or 2 unattached units left ! I don't think I can ever win 1 battle with just 2 units, so lucky me I've still all my full army (I still need more Loot to produced my last ca 100 cultural goods)

DeletedUser9522

Today I completed the 2nd run of the Egyptians. I had 9 days to spare.
Stats for this run:
  • Bought 16 expansions
  • 18 easy and medium fights each
  • only 3 hard fights
  • Build one of each military building and opened all unit slots
  • 9 days and 2 hours to spare for the first time limit
The settlement worked rather well. The Deben were not as sparse as feared. The fights are well balanced. Maybe I could have done more hard fights, but it was not really necessary.

DeletedUser

In addition to Quest 20 mentioned above already the last Quest wants you to produce 30 of each cultural good. So you need 1200 extra loot to complete it.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator

Honestly it's my best choice (from the first 3 unit types) for many ranged as the only unit that doesn't have to eat contact; just have to hope for an attempt where everything's not coming into strike range on the same turn because it kills things slowly. already did some 4+ ranged fights. The one I figure might be most problematic is 4+ fast units - i might build a training camp if that comes up.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator

Quest 20: "Gather 300 Loot" and "Gather 20 Sacrificial Offerings"
Just 8 "not attached" for 1 fight (easy or medium depending on the number of loot)

To add on this, you can after you've passed the 'enough loot' threshold, start dismissing your easy and medium fights daily til you find one that offers both > 300 loot and is doable with your unattached (and/or 1 remaining barracks you keep). Then just keep that fight til quest 20.