• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

CA units are too strong

DeletedUser

My 2 cents.
No point trying to take on the units presented in the first CA province, even if you already have one or 2 Musket Ranges (1st military tech in CA). Musketeers are hopelessly underpowered against CA troops. Long range units like cannons (at the end of CA: Field guns) are pretty much pointless at this stage, I've had to fire 13 shots to kill a ranger.

I will try some rangers in about 70 hours, seeing they are the best attackers, but against defense values of 35, 40 and 44 I don't see much hope.

IMHO, the biggest problem is the range increase many units have gotten - no where to escape anymore, every unit just comes charging at you, leaving you no other option than to charge as well.

But maybe it's just me and my crappy troop setup / crappy fighting, so input is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Sorry I don't have the 3-4 months it takes to finish LMA so I could test those new units, but I gotta just ask it over: It took 13 cannon shots to kill CA light melee unit who had no terrain bonus or anything? I'd assume that would be compareble to smth like 13 ballista shots needed to kill a mercenary or so, and that sounds kinda hard yes. But on other hand you do not use long range never against melee units anyway, what matters is that they could kill enemy short and long range units with 2-3 shots, after that you either try to conserve them and use to finish off almost dead troops, or just sacrifise em if fight is that close. So if they can still do ok kind of damage to ranged units, it would be ok for me.

But to get a possible comparison moment, could someone pls tell me how much estimated damage longbows do to every CA unit and how much estimate damage cannons do(I know estimate doesn't tell the whole story, but it would at least help to give me a vague idea about it). Thanks

Edit: I would like CA armies to be strong, but just about beateble with LMA armies for players who are good at battles. So before even reading the real numbers(should anyone even bother to give me them lol), I'd think balanced(hard, but still beateble if fought well) numbers could be smth like this:

cannon to short range: 3-5(average it somewhere in middle at 4)
cannon to long range: 6-8
cannon to light melee: 1-2 (average being on lower side, about on 1.33)
cannon to fast: 1-2(average 1.33)
cannon to heavy melee: 1-2(average 1.33, cannon bonus negates heavy melees superir def bonus)

longbow to short range: 5-7
longbow to long range: 8-9
longbow to light melee: 2-4(average on 3)
longbow to fast: 2-4 (average on 2.5, due to fast units having def bonus against short range)
longbow to heavy melee: 2-4(average on 3, againt short range has bonus on heavy to negate its superior def).

This is just from top of my head smth I would like/expect to see and think would be kinda fair'ish.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser929

IMHO, the biggest problem is the range increase many units have gotten

i cant really comment as i have neither owned nor fought CA troops, however you say the range has been increased for these troops, is it a case that to counter-act this you use troops with the new stealth buff whereby no matter the range of an enemy they need to be right beside you to hit you?

DeletedUser

I can tell you that if you exit out of LMA with just longbows and cannons (usual way to go up until now) you stand absolutely no chance against the armies protecting the first province Narcien. And even having 8 musketeers at hand, I failed miserably. So now I'm researching the next military building available - ranger encampment. I'll report back how those work in combination with my musketeers.

DeletedUser

i cant really comment as i have neither owned nor fought CA troops, however you say the range has been increased for these troops, is it a case that to counter-act this you use troops with the new stealth buff whereby no matter the range of an enemy they need to be right beside you to hit you?

Stealth mode only helps you against ranged units (musketeers, field guns). The first 5 CA sectors contain neither of those, only rangers, dragoons and grenadiers.

DeletedUser

But could you at least tell me what kind of damage longbows and cannons do against those units? Just interested, thanks.

DeletedUser

Longbow:
--> Ranger (light melee): 2-5
--> Dragoon (fast): 1-4
--> Grenadier (heavy melee): 2-4

Cannon:
--> Ranger (light melee): 1-3
--> Dragoon (fast): 1-2
--> Grenadier (heavy melee): 0-2

This was after about 10 refresh/retreats until until I finally was able to kill a Dragoon with 2 shots in round one:

mboby0.png