• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Will Not Fix: [Browser] Left scrolling button is inaccessible in the technology overview

DeletedUser8061

Reproduction Steps:
1. Open the technology tree

Issue Description (10/10):

Previously, before the introduction of the new quests overview, this button was supposed to scroll ages in the technology tree, but now it is inaccessible.

Снимок экрана 2017-10-16 в 14.49.13.png

Player: Harleen
World: Dunarsund
Operating System: macOS Sierra 10.12.5
Browser Version: Firefox 52.0.1 (64-bit)
Flash Version: MAC 27,0,0,159
Viewport Size: 1280x670

I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported: Yes.

DeletedUser8277

I oculdn't reproduce this (on MacOS El Capitan) - anyone else experiencing this issue pls let us know!
I believe Zarak confirmed this a bit ago so I think they have been made aware. Basically when you click your tech tree the left arrow is now covered by the quest givers.
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 2.42.35 PM.png
You can see above the small sliver of orange behind Rosa Park's head. That is the left arrow for the tech tree which has been blocked for any event which adds a 3rd avatar to the quest giver section.

DeletedUser8489

Not on my desktop Windows machine .... I bet this is a screen sizing issue

Last edited by a moderator:

NormaJeane

Viceroy
I believe Zarak confirmed this a bit ago so I think they have been made aware. Basically when you click your tech tree the left arrow is now covered by the quest givers.
View attachment 2773
You can see above the small sliver of orange behind Rosa Park's head. That is the left arrow for the tech tree which has been blocked for any event which adds a 3rd avatar to the quest giver section.

I know there was a problem, but atm I still cannot reproduce it on my machine - maybe it was resolved in the meantime? - Need to check this ;)

DeletedUser8489

I replicated it just fine ... this is a screen-sizing problem ... I ran my browser window up to about 140% and it replicated the problem exactly as shown by the OP.

No doubt in my mind: Not a bug with the game ... apparently different elements on the page resize at different rates ... but are just fine when viewed as designed @ 100%

DeletedUser8061

My viewport size is 100% on my Macbook Pro 13'', considering I don't use it in the FullScreen mode.
What is more, this button is always hidden for me, even when there are only 2 quest givers.

DeletedUser8277

No doubt in my mind: Not a bug with the game ... apparently different elements on the page resize at different rates ... but are just fine when viewed as designed @ 100%
I am viewing it at 100. Macbook Pro in Chrome Version 61.0.3163.100
Spoiler tag for large image:
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 5.23.06 PM.png

When I resize to 80 the button the left scroll arrow does move under the quest givers.
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 5.24.58 PM.png

DeletedUser

This is not going to be changed. It does not impair gameplay, and the tech tree can still be scrolled to the left.

DeletedUser8489

Along with screen magnification there are always the resolution settings to consider too.

But back to the subject: The sizing ratios seem to be the same on the main playing page. I tested all the main pages. They react the same way.

Inno could have set the tabs/borders to adjust in size in the same ratio as with the background page but they didn't.
So the users will just have to understand that this will happen when they roll the magnification up and/or adjust the screen resolution to non-native settings. Be aware that whatever machine you are using can also change these factors to something the game isn't set for without the user even being aware of it. Not the game's fault.

RedRed

Viceroy
I have the same issue with 1366x633 display (100% ratio, no zoom involved).
I don't agree that this bug doesn't affects the gameplay because you need to scroll in both the directions the tech tree especially during the events (when the issue comes out), because in these cases there are the missions "complete a research", and often I leave old researches uncompleted exactly for this purpose and I cannot use the button.
In the other hand you can still scroll using the mouse, or if you catch the small area between the two questgivers, more annoying but usable.
Not a nice thing to see however, it makes the player thinking that the UI is a little bit careless, hence other things in the game might be the same. Devs might solve it simply moving both the buttons below or above the questgivers, or they can move both the buttons in the center of the screen on the bottom edge (oppposed to the FP bar), just to say.

YnmJ3pH.png

Last edited:

DeletedUser8489

at everybody: (lol) In addition to what I said above about the game elements sizing differently when you magnify: it doesn't matter what your Mag setting is if your resolution is different from the resolution originally set for the game by the designers. That's why I said it was a "sizing" problem. There are hundreds of different screen configurations on the market nowadays. My screen is set for 1680x929 but I had about 10 other choices I could have made. The designers are going to pick the two most popular ratios: one for the desktop program and one for the mobile application.

It's like your fancy TV .. if it's not set to 16x9 all the people are going to be short and fat (or tall and skinny) when you are playing a 16x9 movie!

So let's say that the game folk designed the game to play at a native resolution of 4x3 and your Upkhucito Bargain smart phone from ebay has a screen ratio of 16x9 ... the game is not going to display properly. The game will more than likely be resized to fit your screen. It will be squished vertically. The Mag may say 100% but that doesn't mean the resolution is right. If you roll the Mag up to 200% you've just rolled the ratio up to 32x18. (simplified version). Your game screen will still be squished ... but maybe you can see one of the buttons now. And the opposite holds true too.

So, 100% really doesn't mean that much ...

But I still think the OP's problem was with magnification because I could reproduce it exactly using magnification.

RedRed

Viceroy
But I still think the OP's problem was with magnification because I could reproduce it exactly using magnification.
It isn't a magnification issue. If your browser viewport has less than 870px in height (approx) the button is covered by the questgivers, otherwise is visible (and you might trigger it with the magnification).

Try it yourself..
Resize the browser window height by dragging the bottom edge and look what happens.
Alternatively open the development tools of your browser, choose the responsive design mode, then play with widths and heights...
In both the cases any height under 870px has the button covered by the mission icons. :rolleyes:

Sure it's a devs choice, they decided to not completely support any screen under that heigth, and is in their rights (but as I've said above, you can move the buttons in other places or make them more responsive than the simple "keep them in the middle of the viewport", or even make the questgivers a little smaller, as we have asked when the new quest overview was introduced, or even they can hide both the buttons when the viewport isn't high enough; however when an element is in the GUI but can't be used properly, is either a bug or bad design)

Last edited:

DeletedUser8489

It isn't a magnification issue. If your browser viewport has less than 870px in height (approx) the button is covered by the questgivers, otherwise is visible (and you might trigger it with the magnification).Try it yourself..
Resize the browser window height by dragging the bottom edge and look what happens.
Alternatively open the development tools of your browser, choose the responsive design mode, then play with widths and heights...
In both the cases any height under 870px has the button covered by the mission icons. :rolleyes: Sure it's a devs choice, they decided to not completely support any screen under that heigth, and is in their rights (but as I've said above, you can move the buttons in other places or make them more responsive than the simple "keep them in the middle of the viewport", or even make the questgivers a little smaller, as we have asked when the new quest overview was introduced, or even they can hide both the buttons when the viewport isn't high enough; however when an element is in the GUI but can't be used properly, is either a bug or bad design)

"Resize the browser window height by dragging the bottom edge and look what happens."

"... they decided to not completely support any screen under that heigth (sic) ,..."

I guess you didn't really bother to read what I said. Okay with me. ;) My comments take into account all options ... your comments take into account your machine only. What is clear to me is that you are not about to listen to my comments. Fine. :) I know my analysis is correct. This problem doesn't exist if the game is played within the display parameters set by the designers. (scaling [this game is not yet in HTML5 where a 'meta' tag could be used to produce better variable scaling ... ], resolution, and/or magnification ) It is not a problem with the game ... no matter how much you might want it to be. :)

I also find it interesting to notice that a large number of "bug" reports here are consistently made by the same 2-3 people several times each day. Why? Are they the only ones to see these things? Or maybe they are trying to create their own "bugs" by messing with their settings?

I've got better things to do right now though. I've learned not to get into silly debates in these forums that will get absolutely nowhere. :):) So: till the next time we disagree. :D

RedRed

Viceroy
your comments take into account your machine only.
My comment was focusing on what triggers the issue (a browser viewport not high enough) and the issue itself (a part of the GUI broken under these conditions). Once you know where is the problem you can deal with it. (if you are an user... use a bigger screen if you can).

your comments take into account your machine only
Maybe, maybe not. The comment "Resize the browser window [...]." comes out after a testing on other machines and in the 2nd display of the same machine (plus the dev console). In all I can replicate the issue just by playing with the available height. I agree that in general everything is just the result of our personal experience.

This problem doesn't exist if the game is played game is played within the display parameters set by the designers.
Obvious enough, If something doesn't works neither under those parameters would be really embarrassing :D
Nevertheless there aren't system requirements anywhere, thus If there isn't a minimal or optimal size declared, I think that's in the right of the users to complain (or at least to report it as issue).

[this game is not yet in HTML5 where a 'meta' tag could be used to produce better variable scaling ... ], resolution, and/or magnification )
I'm not a Flash developer, so I can't say if you can change the layout depending on the screen size in a better way with a reasonable amount of works, but I'm pretty sure you can place the buttons in a position that fits better a wide range of screen sizes (f.e. anchored to the bottom edge). Maybe the amount of work would be too much even in those cases, even considering the possibility that they are working to leave this framework.

I also find it interesting to notice that a large number of "bug" reports here are consistently made by the same 2-3 people several times each day. Why? Are they the only ones to see these things? Or maybe they are trying to create their own "bugs" by messing with their settings?
It's a beta server so I'm glad to see that someone it's paying attention on many parts of game and not only to the obvious; debugging stupid/little things often is a good way to have a break while working on heavy stuff.
Doesn't mean that everything reported is a bug or a bug about the game itself, or that a bug will be solved (or recognized as a bug);

till the next time we disagree. :D
See you soon - but I don't like to disagree or discuss too much on the same argument, so that's even my last post about this issue :)

Last edited: