• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Beta server could use a revamp? (opinion/speculation)

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
I play here to test new features in advance, I report bugs and I spent a lot of time on beta. And because I play it "like live" is the reason for that. If they wipe it and do it like proposed, I will not be here.

So big no to this suggestion from me.

Agreed. I've put in far too much work and time on my Beta city, it's my main city...if I wanted to start over, I'd start another new city on a Live server. :rolleyes:

but only being here because you get free diamonds is not much more helpful in my opinion.

While that's true, and may be the case with the majority of players, not all players are here because of that. My Beta city on Elvenar is my main city as well, and you know we don't get free diamonds there.

I get what you're saying, and I actually agree on a couple of points, but I am here to test...not only game play, but also myself. What I achieve in my Beta city should be reproducible in my Live cities (albeit more slowly). If it's not, what do I need to do differently?

At any rate, what it comes down to is that if I lost my Beta city, I'd chuck the lot and call it a day. June will be four years for me on Beta, and it just wouldn't be worth having to start over from scratch. Plus, I'd be too bloody angry to come back to this game.

If @beelzebob666 is right, and they do have an Alpha server, they don't need to fiddle with Beta.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you be here? A revamped beta would not only still allow you to test features and report bugs, it would also allow many new players to do so as well, without needing to put in what's essentially an equal commitment as any live server in order to do so. My issue with the beta server as it currently stands is that the barrier to entry is far too high, especially when it comes to testing features that are intended to appeal to advanced players, like new ages.

Much of the feedback that ends up making its way to the forums ends up coming from the same group of posters every time, many of which don't even actually play on beta and are merely commenting on what they see in announcements. I'm one of those people, as I don't have the time to play any more than the one city I currently play on. And without beta making any sort of concession to facilitate more accessible testing, that's unlikely to change for me. I feel like I'm not alone, either, as there have been several updates and changes to the game that have gone to the live servers in a 'beta' state, being released only to a limited number of players, often for an extended period of time before finally being available to everybody. My suspicion is that this is because there simply aren't enough players on the beta server to give Inno the data it's looking for regarding certain changes, which is gradually leading to the live servers becoming test servers in their own right. Does that not seem like a problem to you? That features are being tested outside of what's supposed to be a purpose-built testing environment?

You wipe my city, after all time I put in it and I am out. If I wanted to start over and over again I can do it on live worlds.

So NO!

Pafton

Viceroy
Just wanted to remind everyone that no one's progress is being reset. Rest assured, your game and city are safe. I also think its highly unlikely that any changes will occur to Beta's structure, and even in case that something is changed in the future, due intimation will be provided to everyone.

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
Almost every company has an alpha server otherwise there would be a lot more bugs than we see .

No kiddin'. ;)

serched the web have not found FoE alpha server , i'v been on beta for a while but this is 1st time i here of FoE having an alpha server

Because an Alpha server is not open to regular players, it wouldn't be advertised. And by the way, my comment was "if", not that they do.

Sl8yer

Regent
Just wanted to remind everyone that no one's progress is being reset. Rest assured, your game and city are safe. I also think its highly unlikely that any changes will occur to Beta's structure, and even in case that something is changed in the future, due intimation will be provided to everyone.

Really strange statement. Big change to Beta's structure was that players can buy diamonds on Beta now as well. With that you made it a play world and no longer a test world.

Cesaria

Farmer
I rejoined the game a few weeks ago (after a few years of being inactive) and in my country's forum I read a thread on ideas to encourage more people to join beta. I came here and... well... having to start everything from scratch is quite annoying. Maybe the first week of a new player's activity could be tweaked a little so they could catch up. After all, those first eras have been tested really well, so nothing should be a problem. It could be twice the speed of construction, recruitment, FPs / Power points, production, etc. Or maybe daily packs of extra goods, military units, fps from the player's era to get them started and developed faster.

After all, those first eras have been tested really well, so nothing should be a problem.

This is not correct. When they release new events and new features, they need them also to be tested by people in lower eras. If they speed up research, everyone would be in Mars and lower eras would be tested on live servers. And it happens quite often that people report quests that can't be finished in lower eras.

One of the problems with beta is that you can buy diamonds there.
Of course inno want to utilize every revenue source they can, but diamond sales leads to a massive disparity between players which is a deterrent to those who don't pay to play.
Don't misunderstand me here, I've no objections whatsoever to the people who buy diamonds having a big advantage over those who don't in the live servers. This is a business and Inno has to make money.
The problem is that for the vast majority of beta players for whom our beta cities are not our main ones and who only play casually here to test new content, seeing lots of plunder symbols floating over our best buildings whenever we log in curtesy of the players who do have beta as their main worlds makes me somewhat uncaring of even trying to properly develop my beta city.
Now in live my attitude towards players who constantly get plundered and put off the game would be tough, that's the nature of the game we play, go play something different if you don't like the way this game works.
But for a beta test server the company should be doing whatever they can to encourage more players to participate. We know they don't consider beta a big enough test base as they often do partial live testing for a greater test sample size.
As many people have poured loads of real money into playing beta it would be wrong to change the way this world is run, so Embergaurds suggestion of a second world would be the way forward, with a slight difference.
As inno needs people in all ages to test new content, everybody who starts in a new beta world could be assigned to an age at random.
Whichever age each player was given they would have a basic city with a collection of houses and production buildings from that age and have all the tech from that era researched and all the continent map for that age explored.
From this basic set-up we could then individualize our cities with our choices of military and goods buildings and start working on collecting BP's for GB's.
Give out larger amounts of diamonds to test new features but don't allow the sale of diamonds there so everything remains on a more even footing.

Emberguard

Emperor
As inno needs people in all ages to test new content, everybody who starts in a new beta world could be assigned to an age at random.
For such an idea it would need to either make the random age a permanently assigned starting age or be ok with players restarting until they get a specific age

Whether it'd be worth the randomised age idea being from Bronze Age up or from a specific age onwards would depend on whether Dunardsund is considered enough for testing early ages

coolyfooly

Squire
I rather the diamond cost of event currency be reduced by 75% so that we can cruise through events to test them out more quickly for bugs. But they would not make as much money off of people who pay

Last edited: